Bad Trader: tristana123

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by Rustytacos, Jun 28, 2020.

1. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (81) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

I imagine SP will likely change this policy. Follow Shaun Hill’s lead: you can take your Untappd/IG pictures with the bottle, but you ain’t walking out with it.

2. Phyrekat

Phyrekat Initiate (73) Jan 3, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

This certainly seems like the most effective way to address the issue.

3. jeevo

jeevo Aspirant (241) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I was down there all weekend for 2019 BBT as well and have been to Side Project a number of times and understand they let people walk around and even leave with empty bottles.

I would be interested in seeing if the people who received bottles from the St Louis shipping origin were all from that Thanksgiving weekend or if the bottles came from St Louis over the course of the past 8 months since the release.

#283 jeevo, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Tony_D likes this.
  4. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (296) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I would be bummed about this even if I would understand it.

I have a very small bottle collection, several of which are from Side Project.

Not the end of the world obviously.

5. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (88) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Admittedly I collect SP bottles (the 375mls) so am biased.

It would have to be at least one person's full time job to try to prevent people from leaving with empty bottles given how hectic BBT weekend tends to be. (Obviously who knows how 2020 will be given COVID). The other option would be to pour out the whole bottle but they'd have to switch to a minimum # of people / bottles then as well. Not to mention risk more people spilling shit thinking they can carry 4 glasses of stout.

6. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Zealot (597) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Trader

I think letting people leave with one bottle of a beer as a keep sake is different than a guy walking out with 12-20.

Although how they stop him digging in their trash is another story.

7. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (813) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I don't know what Columbus Brewing Company's next release is, but I can guess what they will be canning....

TylerJ, deschutes_fan, Roguer and 8 others like this.
  8. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (81) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

Easy solution, two glasses per person at a time. Hill Farmstead requires is it because of VT law but it makes sense regardless. And before you complain about opening waxed bottles, take a deep breath and relax. Many of us have waited in long lines at Hill for the staff to open onsite waxed bottles, so it’s possible. Also, if it protects the brewery from shit like this, then why not support it!?

FlintB, Roguer, Preluderl and 3 others like this.
  9. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (88) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

This may already be the policy, actually - I've seen one person get told they can't take extra empties (he said to make candles out of). Of course that person also asked the staff if they could have extra empties, so it didn't require any extra policing.

SP on-site bottles of stouts are already waxed.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  10. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (302) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I was just expressing shock with my reply

11. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (2,578) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

there’s no bigger fan
    VT law requires you to double fist at all times??

at SP it’s one 750mL of strong ale (stout, barleywine, etc) per person per visit. if someone is flying solo and wants to try BBT, they can order a bottle to themselves. never been to HF or Vermont but MO (especially StL) is pretty liberal with their beer. they know how to have a good time. most patrons seem to appreciate this. this isn’t SP’s fault.

OakvilleKGB, chrisjws, Roguer and 7 others like this.
  12. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (840) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Well played.

OakvilleKGB and readyski like this.
  13. Quinnimical

Quinnimical Initiate (101) Jul 13, 2018 Washington
    Trader

Another thing to consider here beyond the sheer, bold faced scamming, is that he could very possibly put people's lives at risk. Getting mildly poisoned from an infected or contaminated half ass repack is something I haven't seen mentioned yet. Possibly an angle not associated with trading that could earn him some real heat from authorities.

hopley, Roguer, tacosandbeer and 3 others like this.
  14. core42

core42 Zealot (541) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

The problem is on big release days. BBT 1 release I got into St Louis late & just got to Side Project 45 min before close. I had an onsite bottle, sharing some & was told I could not take the empty bottle. It was easier to enforce because the patron to worker ratio was manageable & I was inside.
    Later I went to SP for D9 onsite & outside we had a bunch of bottles. No one even tried to take an empty bottle that I saw but if they grabbed them all no one was out there to police it
    [​IMG]

This picture was just one of the picnic tables & there were others so if someone parked in the parking lot & decided to lift a handful of bottles throughout the day it wouldn't have been difficult to do

15. Todd

Todd Founder (6,029) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Lots of people hung up on the legalities of an individual shipping a bottle of beer if the authorities were to investigate, which would be the least of anyone's concerns at this point.

16. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (160) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’m not sure why anyone is. They can’t help it if the guy they hired ended up being a psychopath. Fire the guy and they are good to go

17. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (705) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

A post from Cory at SP over in the SP/Shared thread is quoted below. He doesn't have privileges to post in this thread.

18. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,513) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

19. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Initiate (196) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

It’s insane this potentially happened with a CBC employee. CBC is the most anti hype brewery I know. They are extremely conservative and cautious with their own product at all times. As an example, they had a hugely popular double ipa (Bodhi) and didn’t package it for a long long time in order to make sure they had it exactly right before going to market. I’m sure they are beside themselves with all of this.

20. wisnia101

wisnia101 Initiate (86) Mar 28, 2017 Belgium
    Trader

Hi guys. It looks like I fell victim to a scam, I traded with him somewhere at the end of last year around December 2019, the bottle I received was quite poor condition especially the label looked a bit damaged the inscriptions were not white but yellow unfortunately I don't have any photos anymore or any information because I sent the bottle in another trade. I am now trying to determine what happened to this bottle.

it was an international trade shipment took place between the US and Belgium

Victory_Sabre1973 and ChicagoJ like this.
  21. wisnia101

wisnia101 Initiate (86) Mar 28, 2017 Belgium
    Trader

at that time I had several BBT bottles in total and this bottle actually looked very weak in this trade. Something was wrong with it but I didn't even consider that something like this could have happened - it just seemed impossible to me

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  22. alexdepalex

alexdepalex Initiate (38) Jan 11, 2017 Netherlands
    Trader

@wisnia101 Yeah well. I should've trusted my instincts more. I scrolled through the chat history of my proxy to which he shipped. And I explicitly told my proxy to check that bottle, since the whole trade was a bit weird. Hindsight is 20/20.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  23. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,320) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

lol, not quite. For certain bottles they have to see/know that you’re drinking with one other person at least or they won’t serve you. For comparison, the HF taproom is probably the size of The Cellar, with some outdoor seating. HF is the most remote brewery I have visited definitely, and it’s quite a haul for most people that go there so it’s responsible of HF to take the cautious approach. You’re not getting a lyft or uber from there!! Hell, the couple of mile dirt road to get there isn’t even gravel I don’t think (just mud and dirt, really). Actually, now that I think about it, HF doesn’t even serve DIPAs on site. You can get tasters or growlers/cans to go for those.

But back on topic here, I have to imagine that the extent of the scam by that guy is bigger than we think. Who knows if he’s been doing this on other sites, social media platforms, etc. This has gone beyond just scamming traders now. Authorities should be involved.

Roguer, ChicagoJ, Slack and 3 others like this.
  24. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,073) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

This happened at HF, once they stopped allowing those to take home the empty bottles. There are/were some big dumpsters on the premise where they caught an individual diving, this led to some yelling and commotion

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  25. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (256) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This is awful...I've been following this story across multiple social media platforms. Hope a substantial reimbursement to all parties occurs..but doubt it.

26. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (202) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I don't understand why they even allow bottles for onslaught on release days. Sell the bottles to go and draft pours for in house. Makes no sense. Its more profitable for the brewery to sell draft.
    Can someone enlighten me?

evilcatfish and Pinz412 like this.
  27. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (89) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

reimbursement from the culprit?

28. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (126) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Because instead of everybody buying a $10 draft pour they’re buying a $60 bottle for on site

29. jonny_karate

jonny_karate Initiate (33) Mar 16, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

This is wild but I wanted to share some pictures of my BBT b2. This bottle has been in my possession since picking it up at BBT release. The label has gotten a little wonky from storing it in a cooler during a move last year but as you can see, the wax isn't perfect and even has a little bit of a "bulb" effect going on. Mine has been in the fridge (aside from the few hours in the cooler during moving when the label got wet) since I picked it up.

https://imgur.com/a/sDgLZ8F

30. seamusmcgee

seamusmcgee Initiate (57) Mar 1, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

They've done both with BBT, and generally the draft price and bottle price are more or less equal ($10 for 5 oz. or $50 for a 25 oz. bottle). I think the biggest issue is knowing how much to bottle vs. how much to keg.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  31. 4ruedebuci

4ruedebuci Initiate (193) Jan 22, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think part of the great experience of SP on these bigger release days is buying a big onsite bottle to bring back to a table to share with a bunch of people. So I hope they wouldn't have to pour the bottle into a couple of glasses and keep it like they do at HF. I am sure they could mark up or alter the label somehow to show it was an already opened onsite bottle and make it impossible to reuse.

32. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (284) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Has the roommate spoken???

33. thetallguyy

thetallguyy Initiate (15) Oct 25, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

if you think he had a roommate that was the issue, I have some questionable BBT bottes to trade you

34. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (284) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Raji’s roommate taking responsibility for everything:

[​IMG]

35. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (623) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I've often kept empties from SP and nobody has ever said anything. Usually just 1 at a time though to display on a rack in my dining room, I like all the different colors of wax and its nice to have a memento from memorable beers. Also, I've kept them to donate to a local who makes candles from empty bottles.

Perhaps more on site beer in kegs is the way to go? I dunno.

36. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (89) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

Seems we’ve cracked the mythical and highly illegal Missouri candle making ring in the process

37. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (111) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

This was a wild read. Sorry to all who were affected, i've traded with a number of you guys. Truly hard to imagine the extent of the shenanigans going on here

38. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (623) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Lol, but seriously her candles are pretty cool and make nice gifts

https://www.twinklebrews.com/

39. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (476) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

I could make her rich with all of my glass empties I currently recycle.

OakvilleKGB, Tony_D, m34josh and 6 others like this.
  40. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Devotee (459) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

So as a non-Facebook user, has CBC said anything outside of the "we're collecting info" from yesterday? I know this isn't their fault and it sucks to be dragged into BUTTTT it definitely deserves some time of response for the beer on beer crime involving one of their employees here.

Side note- Fresh Bodhi from CBC is a damn good brew. Wish I had one right now.