Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bad UPS Experience...how screwed am I?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Elric73, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Elric73

I shipped some brews to a guy on the East Coast. I have a UPS account, and here's the most recent tracking update:

what happens from here? anyone had it happen before?
    03/14/2013 10:01 P.M. The package was damaged in transit. UPS will notify the sender with the details. / Damaged merchandise discarded, balance being returned. UPS will notify the sender with the details.
    03/14/2013 10:01 P.M. The package was damaged in transit. UPS will notify the sender with the details.

2. glitchedmind

Sounds like a bad packing job versus a bad experience.
    You're screwed out of a broken bottle and some shipping to send another one. Ups won't be sending delta force after you.

3. Tarheel4985

Beer Trader

Unless they determine it was packed properly and the breakage was their fault. That's what happened on a recent trade I made, and they approved the claim and issued me a check for the cost of the broken bottles and shipping. Just had to fill out the claim form. They repackaged the unbroken bottles and sent them back to me.

4. Elric73

YOU had beer bottles that were broken, which technically goes against their policy of not shipping alcohol for the general public, and they approved a claim? did you say you were shipping something else?

For the record, I send a lot of stuff out UPS, not just beer, and I make sure everything is bubble wrapped, taped, and stuffed with loads of peanuts. I may have to use double walled boxes provided they still allow me to ship with them.

5. kiki3drt292

Beer Trader

double boxes wont help you IMO, and sometimes UPS just helps a brotha' out. I once had a new trader send me bottles via the Postal Service (with UPS it's against their policy, with the USPS it's against the law) and they repackaged the beer, cleared out as much glass as they could, and apologized for the broken bottle with a nice little handwritten note.

6. Tarheel4985

Beer Trader

Yes, it was beer bottles that were broken (3 of them) and I claimed they were collectible bottles. I sent a total of 10 bottles, and they repackaged the 7 that survived in a new box and returned them to me. When I filed the claim, I included the cost of the bottles (which they required a receipt or invoice to prove the replacement value) and the cost of shipping, and about 2 weeks later I received a check in the mail.

Before I even filed the claim though, they had notified me that the claim was approved since the breakage was their fault. I was hopeful that they would refund the shipping cost, but had no idea I would be reimbursed for the cost of the beer. Just figured it was worth a shot.

7. Jparkanzky

I had a growler break before. UPS store (where I shipped from, and it was returned to) wanted to discard the rest of the bottles in the box, and refund me for the entire box, but I told them I couldn't replace the bottles, so they gave them back to me. I returned with a growler (plus receipt) and THEY repacked my beer, shipped it, and refunded me (check in the mail a couple weeks later) for the growler that broke.

Instead of guessing what's going to happen in your situation, the best thing to do is call UPS up, and see what's the deal.

8. RC0032

Beer Trader

WORST ADVICE EVER!! Speculation is MUCH more fun!

NABS likes this.
  9. nanobrew

IMO packing peanuts are only good for padding an inner box on a double box package. I think they allow too much movement to be used as packaging for bottles. Instead, wrap the bottles in the small bubble wrap. Then either re-wrap them in the large bubble wrap or with crumbled paper. Pack the bottles tightly inside of a smaller box. There should be about 3 inches between each bottle, and the bottles should not be able to move at all (that is the problem with packing peanuts). Then place the smaller box inside a larger box, using large bubble wrap/and or packing peanuts on all six sides. The smaller box should not be able to move.

Depending on how many bottles, the size, or the rarity, I will use 2-4 smaller boxes instead of one inside box. Sometimes I end up triple boxing. The boxes from USPS for flat rate shipping work great for small (and free) boxes.

Single walled boxes are usually fine, it is the double box method that you want to use. Plus, then you can put the smaller box (or boxes) in a sealed garbage bag in case there is breaking/leaking, the package may still make it to its final destination.

10. deadbody

Beer Trader

Just because you actually have a life doesn't mean you need to ruin the fun for the rest of us rabble rousers speculating wildly.

OP, you may need to start shipping FedEx, and it might be worth moving just in case UPS has flagged your address. Changing your name is not an unprecedented step either, go with something really common so they can't just flag the name. Nice to meet you Mr. Jones.

AceMaster and NABS like this.
  11. Johnnyramirez

Move to Terror Lake and change your last name to Thompson.
    <insertSimpsonsHomerThompson"Ithinkhestalkingtoyou"clip>

You really should use FedEx because its cheaper though

AceMaster and kmello69 like this.
  12. Demer

I'm going to take this opportunity to say what has been said a million times. It might be more expensive to invest in beer shippers but not having a headache and he piece of mind is absolutely worth it in the long run.

nanobrew and Lutter like this.
  13. Lutter

This.

I don't know why you guys screw around on packaging. Get some pro-grade stuff. I use UHaul wine shippers for all my trades and enclose inner packaging with a garbage bag in case there is a leak. UHaul's shippers are also top-loaders, so there's no sloshing. Never ever had an issue.

14. sandiego67

I will use shippers with traders who I trade with with more than once so they get shipped back and forth. The extra cost on a single trade is not worth it. I just re-use all of the packing materials that I get from other trades.

JustXBeer likes this.
  15. nc41

Beer Trader

I had the same experience with UPS, they'll never contact you again. My guess is if it sloshes they open up and either take the beer and list it as damaged and discard it, or they really busted it up it leaked and they tossed it. Either way it's contraband to them and you have no recourse. It also does not raise a red flag on your name like I thought it might, as I've shipped UPS after with no problems at all. So other than losing beer there's no more screwing to be had.

16. Elric73

Thanks for providing the info. That was exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the assistance.

17. FTowne

I pack up beer even better than using a U-Haul wine bottle shipper. Those things are expensive and totally uneccesary.

AnnArborJoe and cavedave like this.
  18. AnnArborJoe

This man speaks the truth.
    More secure than shippers, srs.
    Dat foam is the shit.

19. RochesterAaron

Have not traded with FTowne (yet), but I have both received and passed on dat foam. (even some to you).

sliverX and AnnArborJoe like this.
  20. AnnArborJoe

I'd say his "packing material" is well used and has been around the block a few times.

21. Elric73

that was funny as shit. after a few trades that packing material can go limp and nasty.

22. FTowne

Boxes, yes. But the high density foam that I use can be reused 100 times and still hold up.

23. Elric73

so are you talking peanuts, the wine things, or some kind of spray foam? what's the cost involved?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe