Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

bail out bottle for CO2???

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by garve, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garve

garve Feb 16, 2009 Massachusetts

As a commercial hard hat diver we would wear a 50# bail out bottle in case our hose supply got pinched off . Does anyone know if this can be converted over to CO2 for the keg system >?
  2. PortLargo

PortLargo Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I am going to go out on a limb and say "probably not". The tank cares less what gas is used, but the connectors are the problem.

For a keg system you really want a CO2 regulator which is threaded in a way to only attach to a CGA320 valve (the top valve stem in the tank). The male part of the CGA320 which is attached to the main body of the tank uses a 0.825-14 NGO-RH-EXT thread which is pretty much unique to CO2 cylinders. I am guessing your bail out bottle used air or some other gas compatible with human life. Scuba threads are almost always 0.750-14 NPSM. The question is what are the female threads in the neck of your tank, that's what will determine compatibility.

The gas industry makes its connection in a way to prevent commanality. My experience is this is pretty much across the range of gasses. They want it to be impossible to put an argon regulator on a nitrous oxide bottle, or an oxygen reg on a scuba tank. Sometimes inconvenient, but potentially life saving.

BTW, nice Mark V rig.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!