Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Ballast Point Bottling dates

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Jan 23, 2013.

1. raynmoon

Beer Trader

I have a Sculpin that has a "best before" of "2/03/13". Is it bottled 3 months before like Stone or 6 months like Deschutes?

2. CelticAleMan

Sculpin is 4 months. Not sure if all of their beers are the same or not.

3. raynmoon

Beer Trader

AHHH! I can seriously never find a fresh bottle of Sculpin. They really need to bring down the price so they can fly off the shelves and stay fresher. The whole Best By thing is a load of malarky.

4. raynmoon

Beer Trader

It tastes fine, but you can tell it has lost enough hop presence to allow a tinge of alcohol bitterness and malt backbone. ​
    This is one of those beers that you buy and it is amazing one time, and just OK the next because of the piss-poor bottling/ price method.​
    I should just move to Escondido ;). ​

jrnyc and jglowe77 like this.
  5. Giantspace

I quit buying sculpin after three bad batches. First was not dated but others were. Tap it has always been amazing. Bottle is too much $ and not good.

Enjoy

6. BrownNut

I heard raves about Sculpin and bought a bottle and thought it was okay. Then I deciphered the date code and realized I had a fairly old bottle, well past the best by date even. Went back to the store and they were all like that. I always check when I go there and it's always the same old stuff. I look forward to trying a much fresher one.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe