Ballast Point in Washington

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Smurf2055, Jun 9, 2013.

1. whiskey

whiskey Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Do anyone know what distributor has them?

2. AlcoholandOxygn

AlcoholandOxygn Aug 20, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Literally, the following two posts after the one you quoted answered that question.

3. whiskey

Beer Trader

Never heard of Columbia before, maybe that's why I missed it when I skimmed. Apparently they just do booze and wine in Spokane. Thanks for specifying "literally" as I would have assumed you were being figurative and I would have been really confused.

fsck and checktherhyme like this.
  4. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

This is what I'm hoping to see. I generally try not to get suckered by packaging but I love the retro design.

[​IMG]

5. draheim

Beer Trader

In case you missed it, the linked article says "Columbia Distributing is handling things in Oregon and Western Washington starting this week, according to Kight, and if all goes well, the company will align with Click Wholesale shortly in the Eastern side of the state (just formalities at this point)."

whiskey likes this.
  6. whiskey

Beer Trader

Shit, my laziness is shining bright today.

7. draheim

Beer Trader

With that username and avatar, you've set the bar pretty low. ;)

checktherhyme likes this.
  8. whiskey

Beer Trader

Perfect, I'll carry on then! hehe

libbey, beertunes and draheim like this.
  9. Mages64

Mages64 Sep 7, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Um... In bottles/cans anyway... Yes? I'm biased towards a few breweries due to work related reasons (old schoolhouse, snipes, etc) so I didn't bring them up but yeah. I kind of feel like for spectacular ipas, my choice is workhorse and descender. It's just my palette (sp?) though. Union jack rocks, caldera fresh is yummy, torpedo and inversion are great priced choices but not spectacular. Btw I'd welcome other canned/bottles suggestions. I've just been burned too many times by crappy bottled ipas so I've given up.

10. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

I was told yesterday that Whole Foods Westlake has it.

fsck likes this.
  11. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I feel you. We have different palates. I was simply surprised that you would suggest that Workhorse and Descender are the only two spectacular IPAs we can get in Seattle. I'm not going to argue with you. I would disagree with you for myself --- as you say, we all dig what we dig. Cheers.

12. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

No Interurban IPA love? Really? Oh well.

13. Eighty

Eighty Feb 17, 2013 Washington

Downtown Spirits

14. fsck

fsck Apr 13, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

I asked because they didn't, I'll go back soon. Thanks.

15. Eighty

Eighty Feb 17, 2013 Washington

I haven't been there to double check, but they announced on their twitter that they got it on Wednesday.

16. fsck

Beer Trader

Well that sounds like the best reason I've had to start using twitter. Seems I went a day or two early.

17. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Jul 23, 2012 Washington

I'm not huge on IPAs, but I tried a Sculpin IPA last night and was pretty impressed. Well balanced, not just pure bitterness, some floral to it. Would drink again.

18. fsck

Beer Trader

Downtown spirits has a bunch now, picked mine up.

Yep, it is pretty damn good. I would take an Enjoy By over it any day, but it's up there with the best IPAs.

19. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

I traded for a bottle of Sculpin way back in 09 and thought it was good, considering my limited experience at that point.

Fast forward to now, picked up a 6 pack with a Big Eye subbed in to try and I'm just not as impressed. Maybe I'm spoiled with having Pliny, Maharaja, Blue Dot, Fremont's The Brother and The Sister, Hop Venom, RPM, and RuinTen, but Sculpin and Big Eye are just tasting like average IPAs to me. That's not really a bad thing. I'm happy to have them in the rotation, but the rest of the group has come a long way to catch the leaders in the IPA world.

I'll also say I'm finding the Ballast Point IPAs to have a lot more residual bitterness than a lot of IPAs lately.

Again, not complaining much, especially since I'm so happy to have bottles of Victory at Sea all over to enjoy whenever I want (like right now, for example). This beer is so good for about $8 a bomber

bifrost17 likes this.
  20. hansw

hansw Oct 15, 2006 California

You, good sir, need to try a Dorado.

21. whiskey

Beer Trader

Victory at Sea is what I'm most excited about, there's nothing like it around here. I actually like Big Eye, at least the one time I had it on tap I thought it was great. Scuplin is just too pricey for what it is.

22. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Is it one that is distributed? If not, I'm up for a trade.

23. draheim

Beer Trader

Beer Junction has bottles.

24. Mages64

Mages64 Sep 7, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm blown away that people think sculpin is too expensive. It's the same price as most out of state DIPAs(I know it's a single) and tastes just as good if not better than 90% of the ipas and DIPAs in the market. 14.99 for a 6pk, is much better than being burned again my some crappy batch of a cheaper IPA. The 22s are expensive though so no argument from me there.

25. whiskey

Beer Trader

I think if I'm gonna buy 72 oz or more of an IPA I'll just grab something like Stone IPA at $10 a six pack or Ruination at $9 a 4 pack($13.50 for 6 in essence). I don't know, I guess I can't think of another IPA that is $15 a six pack, that why it seems to be a lot.

26. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Sculpin is a good beer, but not great. Just another over hyped beer from California.

27. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Here's what I will buy in 6-packs that I enjoy more or at least as well as Sculpin and all cheaper than Sculpin:

FW Union Jack
    Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
    Stone IPA
    Fremont Interurban

As mentioned previously, I don't see myself buying Sculpin at the store. If I'm out at a bar and it's on tap, I'll drink it and enjoy it.

beertunes and whiskey like this.
  28. whiskey

Beer Trader

I hear kegs of Sculpin, Big Eye, and Dorado have hit Spokane.

29. whiskey

Beer Trader

This will be my exact course. ^

Victory at Sea on the other hand...:)

30. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Sep 12, 2012 Washington

just grabbed a bottle of Victory at Sea up at Rocket Market.

whiskey likes this.
  31. whiskey

Beer Trader

I skipped goin to Rocket yesterday to hit Manito, they have Sculpin, Big Eye, and Dorado coming up. Great to hear victory at sea actually made it hear. So stoked. What were they selling it for?

32. SatlyMalty

I believe it was 8.50$.

whiskey likes this.
  33. draheim

Beer Trader

I had a bottle of Victory @ Sea not too long ago and it seemed to have a sort of artificial chemical vanilla taste I don't recall from the first time I had one in San Diego last year. Anyone else notice that? Could have just been me building up expectations beyond reason, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the last one I had. Kind of wondering if they might have changed the recipe in order to boost production.

34. SatlyMalty

Just had the bottle I bought last night and I was very underwhelmed (my expectations were high). I didn't get much vanilla at all. A lot of coffee of course. A bit too much carb for my liking too. It was my first time having it so I can't compare it to last year or before. I'll leave that on the shelf for everyone else who enjoys it. I did have a couple pints of Sculpin last night though and enjoyed them very much. Really glad to see that one around here finally.

35. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Folks in the North end can find Sculpin at Norm's in Lake Stevens. This probably isn't news to most on these threads, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe