Ballast Point Sculpin IPA or Grapefruit Sculpin?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by uvachief, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyS

DannyS Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2007 New York

Man, am I the only one here who doesn't like Sculpin to begin with? I love IPAs and DIPAs as much as the next BA, but man, the couple times I've tried it, it just didn't impress me. Maybe I just haven't been able to get it fresh, I dunno.

zestd and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  2. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I'm not a fan of Sculpin but I am looking forward to trying Grapefruit version.

brureview likes this.
  3. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

You're not alone

FatBoyGotSwagger and zestd like this.
  4. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

I got my hands on a couple of two-week-old 6-packs of Sculpin IPA today, and had one for the first time ever this evening...it was one of the best IPAs I've ever had. So perfectly light, floral, and balanced...I can't wait to drink the rest of these suckers!

powpig2002 likes this.
  5. BostonHops

BostonHops Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I might be more inclined to agree with you guys and others if grapefruit replaced regular. But it didn't. They still brew and sell regular Sculpin. So idk maybe it's me, but I just don't see why anyone would complain about having more options...

bheerman and Trojan713 like this.
  6. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (793) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

I've got to go with the Grapefruit as the better beer IMO. But am waiting to try the Habenero Sculpin.

7. FightinIrish88

FightinIrish88 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2014 New Jersey

They are both really good beers, the grapefruit is definitely a nice change,. But a fresh Sculpin is the go to in this pick.

8. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,170) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Fresh is key with this beer, it falls off quickly.

powpig2002 likes this.
  9. powpig2002

powpig2002 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

Haven't seen grapefruit, but FRESH Sculpin is one of my favorites. But 2 at a time is my limit. After that my taste buds are FRIED for a week. Can't imagine Grapefruit but I will try it if I ever see it.

10. hophead13

hophead13 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 Florida

EXCEPT FOR PLINY THE ELDER and FAT HEADS HEADHUNTER, what other beers do you think are close to Sculpin? I would like to look a few up.

11. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Give me the original (fresh) anytime. I did enjoy the Grapefruit, but when fresh, the base beer (not used to saying that about IPAs!) has so much citrus in citrus in the nose / taste that it was kind of unnecessary. I've muscled through the Habanero, as well... I got through the upfront burn well, but could see pranking some unsuspecting friends with one.

12. DannyS

DannyS Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2007 New York

Thanks; I suspected as much. Looks like that's another one on my list of beers I'll hold off from trying until I can actually visit a place where I can get it fresh. Amazingly, there's a lot of IPA's on said list.

13. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (281) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Sculpin has the ipa bite everytime. I could drink drink this everyday ,but damm that price. How do they get the balance right with 5 different hops?

14. gonzo000

gonzo000 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I have not been able to locate grapefruit scalpin in the packy stores that I frequent in MA. Does anyone know where I can find these near the Burlington MA area?

15. David_CT

David_CT Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Connecticut

GF Sculpin is a great beer. Especially right now for the weather and the season, a winter fruit that reminds us of the warmer weather, great concept in a sea of winter styles. However regular Sculpin is in my normal rotation. If is saw them both on the shelf today I would garb the GFS, not only because I enjoy the flavor but because it will be gone if I don't. GFS is one of those beers if I come across.... I buy. If they were both always available (which I am not wishing for, I enjoy seasonals and rotating limiteds ), preference would depend on my pallet that day.

and a side note...I would like to think they are fermenting with grapefruit zest in the batch and not just adding flavor.... Does anyone here know how it is done for sure?

gonzo000 likes this.
  16. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

I can almost never get the grapefruit. I really liked it but I won't pout if all I get is the OG.

17. David_CT

David_CT Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Connecticut

I don't think it hits their full distribution. I can not get it in Connecticut.. the shops I frequent can't even order it. Fortunately I live a few minutes from the NY border where the bigger shops always seem to get some. Maybe ask one of your local shops if the distributor even offers it.

gonzo000 likes this.
  18. gonzo000

gonzo000 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Thanks David_CT. Hoping it is still migrating to the east. Would also be interested if this is still on Tap anywhere in Eastern MA. Read in another thread it was at the public house and BBC in westford in Early December. Has anyone seen it on tap lately.

David_CT likes this.
  19. AJ01923

AJ01923 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I would take the original 100% of the time. Grapefruit Sculpin tasted like Sprite mixed with Reg Sculpin.

20. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (5,266) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society Trader

Grapefruit was better,but I tried them nearly a year apart and had a DirtWolf right before the regular.

21. AnthonyRicciardi

AnthonyRicciardi Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2015 New York

Love both but Grapefruit for sure.

22. Donkster46

Donkster46 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Washington

Both! At the same time! Haha

23. Brian_Burke

Brian_Burke Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Massachusetts

I bought it at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont earlier in the week. 2 12-oz bottle limit per, and I don't think it lasted the day.

gonzo000 and David_CT like this.
  24. Brian_Burke

Brian_Burke Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Massachusetts

Tried it last night for the first time. I enjoyed it, but to be honest, I don't think I could drink a lot of them. I have 1 more bottle left and I don't feel like I need anymore. Like some have suggested, I think this could be real nice on the porch on a Summer night.

25. ezerpdog

ezerpdog Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2014 Michigan

Haven't had either one (no distro to Michigan) but my buddy picked up a sixer of the regular when he was in Ohio last week.

For the life of me I can't find any date labeling on any of the bottles. Not on the bottle neck or the actual label.

I'm worried it's really old

26. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,443) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Grapefruit sculpin i harder to get which adds to its demand ..i prefer regular Sculpin
    the julian code is on the bottom right of the label and sometimes on the left 15009 on the one i had yesterday

27. ezerpdog

ezerpdog Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2014 Michigan

That's why I'm afraid. I know it's supposed to be there, but it's not there... anywhere. The only code is the upc code.

He got it at a really big bottle shop, and who knows how often it sells there. :slight_frown:

28. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (759) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I am not going to get into an argument over what the greatest IPA/DIPA is. There is no right answer, its all about freshness and personal taste. (And it's hard to get fresh Sculpin here in NJ).
    IPA's you might be able to get in FL that I would put up there with the best are Schlafly Tasmanian, Lag Sucks, Maine Lunch, Enjoy BY, Jai Alai of course…….. and the list could go on and on.
    I hesitate to even mention Heady Topper and some of the great Hill Farmstead IPA's (Susan & Abner), Surly (Furious or Abrasive), or anything Knee Deep since you would have to trade for them. (I love LaCumbre Elevated and Ska Modus Hoperandi myself).
    And go on the Midwest Forum and read what people are saying about Toppling Goliath and New Glarus beers. And there are great small breweries all over the country putting out world class IPA's you and I will probably never get to try.
    Even the 2 breweries you mentioned, Russian River and FatHeads, there are a lot of people that will tell you that PTE and HH aren't even the best beers those breweries put out (see what people are saying about Blind Pig and Hop JuJu).
    Locally, Kane Head High and Carton 077XX are great NJ IPA's. In NY, Peekskill (Eastern & Higher Standard), and some of the Other Half IPA's (Hop Showers/All Green Everything) are unbelievably good.
    I am guessing if you think nothing else compares to PTE, HH or Sculpin, you probably just haven't tried all that much. Hope you are able to find some of what i mentioned though. We are all lucky there are so many great options out there.

#108 KingforaDay, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  29. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (530) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

So if grapefruit in an IPA is gimmicky and/or unnecessary, then how about putting coffee and/or vanilla in a stout?

Personally I think the GS Sculpin is really good, but I love grapefruit. I did not find it artificial at all. It does take some of the hop bite out of it, but still really good.

30. Beerrito

Beerrito Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2015 California

When I picked up my first sixer of Grapefruit Sculpin, I made sure I had a side by side with regular Sculpin.
    I preferred the Grapefruit version, BUT I feel like I would get tired of Grapefruit quicker than regular version.
    Also, I did not enjoy Habanero Sculpin when I had it on tap long before they bottled it.

I'm glad we don't actually have to decide between the two and can enjoy them both at the same time!

31. dirtyhalos

dirtyhalos Initiate (111) Apr 10, 2014 California
    Trader

if grapefruit sculpin is wrong, then someone should #%€# right, right in the #%$&@#%€!!!

32. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (468) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

It has been awhile since I had regular Sculpin, but based on memory (now that I have tried the grapefruit), I think I prefer regular.

33. krl2112

krl2112 Crusader (772) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Grapefruit all the way.

34. Raucey

Raucey Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 Virginia

So I tried the GF this weekend and it's just not for me. The regular Sculpin (especially when fresh) takes the cake by a long shot.
    In other news: I had the Dorado this weekend too. Love it.

35. brureview

brureview Poo-Bah (2,583) Jan 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I may be in small minority opinion here, but I am not a big fan of Sculpin. I drank some last night- my second time. It has a definitive west coast IPA character- but it doesn't stand out as a distinctive- like Heady and some of the Maine Beer company IPAs.
    For me, an IPA has to set itself apart somehow from other beers brewed in the same style- not just quality of brewing but
    it has to be different.

I'd like to try the GF for comparison.

36. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (497) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Haven't had that one or even heard of it. Colorado only started getting Ballast point distribution a month or two ago. Doubt we'll see it. What do you think about it? Sounds like an even gimmickee-er version to me, but who knows?

37. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (497) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

I'm sorry, but what makes Sculpin a "work of art"? Not to sound snobby, but I feel like there are dozens of way better IPA's out there. I really do not understand the buzz for this one whatsoever.

38. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

GF Sculpin is out of this world. A really great sharpness and tartness in that one. OG Sculpin is amazing too though.

I actually don't get as much grapefruit from regular Sculpin as other people do. It's there, but it's blended well with other tropical fruit and pine. I really like GF Sculpin. It really accentuates the grapefruit nicely.

Trojan713 likes this.
  39. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (574) Mar 26, 2013 California

if it's wrong I don't want to be right

i currently have both in my fridge. both fresh. love both, but grapefruit sculpin is is insane and for me wins every time.

40. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

Not a huge IPA fan but I do really enjoy some grape fruit sculpin

IDABEERGUY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.