Ballast Point Sculpin IPA or Grapefruit Sculpin?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by uvachief, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herky21

Herky21 Crusader (719) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I preferred the Habanero by far. It was really spicy, fwiw. Great habanero flavor.

2. cmv131

cmv131 Initiate (123) Mar 2, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Just picked up my 1st grapefruit sculpin today. Looking forward to trying it this weekend. Now to see if I can dig up fresh regular to do a side-by-side. (grapefruit bottled on 1/9 if I can read the bottle right)

3. funjack5150

funjack5150 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 California

Grapefruit for me please!!!

mactrail and IDABEERGUY like this.
  4. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington
    Beer Trader

I prefer both. I do not like a specific beer. I like specific styles of beer.

5. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Devotee (400) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Gotta go with the grapefruit, just had one a little while ago, heavenly . Tough to get where I am at, need to pick up another 6er or two while I can get it!

6. basics

basics Initiate (79) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm personally somewhat averse to additives in beer. I mean I'm cool with like Creme Brulee or something similar which is obviously aided by a lot of added flavors, but things like spiking a beer with bourbon or even using a randall jr. seems gimmicky or "impure" to me. That being said grapefruit sculpin, a beer where they pretty much just add puree or juice to it to enhance flavors that would otherwise come from the hop, makes me skeptical.

Anyways, I went through all that because I have to say grapefruit sculpin is pretty awesome, especially after holding up to some age. I had a bottle tonight that is near two months old and still tastes awesome, I think it's because the grapefruit additive doesn't fade off like hops do. Sculpin normally is a beer that is great fresh but falls off pretty quick and becomes very mediocre, and then considering the price it is just plain not worth it when it has more than a month on it. Overall I'm trying to say the grapefruit is good for flavor, but it also preserves the longevity of the beer, something that's important for a beer with the pricetag of sculpin.

7. clake

clake Disciple (390) Jun 14, 2008 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Give me the regular.

8. CoffeePorter

CoffeePorter Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2015 Massachusetts

unfortunately grapefruit has been sold out in my area, but it easily is my #1 go to beer….heck I'm drinking it right now!

9. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Grapefruit. My wife won't stop drinking it and it's effing up my drinking of it! I did actually really enjoy the Habanero Sculpin a lot.

10. DerekCarruth

DerekCarruth Devotee (432) Aug 17, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I'd say original. I love the grapefruit, but it's not one that I can too much of at one time. Original I could take down quite a few at a time. Love that bite at the end.

11. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (239) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

In order to avoid any erroneous conclusion: there is nothing wrong with adding fruits to beer. Especially so if the style calls for it. However,

... my "why even bother" is a little different. Why even bother with new and/or different hops?!? I find this new trend of adding certain, "desired" fruits to IPA is somewhat dangerous. Before, or actually still now, brewers were looking for new hops, certain hops combinations, to REPLICATE this fruitiness WITH HOPS. But now adding fruit/juice/extract directly just eliminates all the hassles and bother. Now you can add any hops, literally, it won't matter at the end, add fruit extract, and voila you have an (so called) IPA with "tropical fruit flavors".

P.S. There is no such thing as "grapefruit IPA". Grapefruit Sculpin is a shandy/raddler. Or hoppy shandy in this case.

P.P.S. I actually found Grapefruit Sculpin kind of interesting... on its own merits. But can't figure out why hopheads go nuts about it.

12. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (335) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Never been a fan of fruiting any beer. Oranges in Shandy's and Wit's, limes in Corona's. Always thought it was comical.

Two years ago I tried an Abita Grapefruit Harvest IPA kind of by accident. A friend ordered a round of IPA's for our table. I was kind of impressed by it.

Always having been a fan of Sculpin, when the grapefruit variety came out i had to try it.

I like it a lot better than the og version and it's one of my favorite ales on the planet.

Not sure what hop blend is used in it, but the grapefruit extract is so perfectly balanced with the cascade or citra hops.

It really tastes just like slicing open a ruby red grapefruit in the morning. A real flavor explosion.

13. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (835) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Either one just not habanero.

schuey1010 likes this.
  14. Desertdog100

Desertdog100 Initiate (117) Sep 15, 2013 California

Grapefruit sculpin wearing off regular sculpin still the chAmp !!

15. sillyhed8

sillyhed8 Aspirant (284) Mar 15, 2014 California

Both are beyond awesome...I am even quite fond of Habanero Sculpin, especially since it states on bottle that heat varies from bottle to bottle...its like a surprise every time.

16. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Lower the price and I'll take either one anytime.

woodchip likes this.
  17. thedumbphase

thedumbphase Initiate (141) Mar 4, 2015 New Jersey

Definitely regular for me. I like the grapefruit Sculpin as sort of a refreshing beverage- maybe for a beer by the grill or after some yard work type of thing. Because the grapefruit totally dominates the other flavors, it veers into that "not quite a beer anymore" territory for me. My wife loves it, which is generally a huge warning sign for me...

ESHBG likes this.
  18. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (265) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've had both for the first time recently, both were very fresh. Good beers but I was underwhelmed when factoring in the cost of them in my area and their hype. Comparison-wise, Grapefruit Sculpin was interesting but I could only drink one in a sitting before I got tired of it vs. regular Sculpin, where I could have a few if I so desired. I haven't had Habanero yet but I will try that someday too.

19. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I wasn't a huge fan of habanero on its own, and I thought grapefruit was just okay on its own...but when I mixed the two together 50/50, magic happened. I'd still take regular over grapefruit-habanero cuvée, but the spicy/citrus blend was pretty delicious.

20. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (475) Mar 5, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Original IPA. I don't like the strength of the grapefruit flavor in the other. I like fruity smelling/tasting IPAs so thought I would like it but to me it was too much and didn't improve on the original which is great

21. SollaSollew

SollaSollew Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2015 Washington

Not a big fan of the 'juice addition'... I LOVE a hint of grapefruit in my IPA, with the addition of Cascade, Centennial, and Columbus Hops.. last day in the secondary I dump .5 ounce of Citra Hops... that's what i'm talking about !

22. spacecake9

spacecake9 Meyvn (1,162) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Definitely grapefruit. I probably won't buy the regular Sculpin anymore.

23. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Poo-Bah (1,641) Sep 1, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Isn't a shandy or raddler a 50/50 mix? I'm pretty sure Grapefruit Sculpin does not consist of 50% grapefruit juice. So, this is an IPA with grapefruit added. Not a shandy/raddler.

24. prock180

prock180 Aspirant (299) Mar 9, 2013 Arizona

I would have to say regular sculpin. I've been drinking the grapefruit version lately and need a plain ol sculpin.

25. chicagogooner

chicagogooner Initiate (61) Feb 5, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Both are great though I prefer the grapefruit version slightly more.

26. RoadLizard

RoadLizard Initiate (182) Feb 13, 2008 New York

Have to agree that the original is better. I also can't stand some of the goofy things that get added to beer these days. My goodness. Stop it. What's next? Cheese and bacon flavor? Salmon infused stouts? :slight_smile:

27. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Devotee (460) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Habanero, Grapefruit, and Regular....in that order.

28. PhillyFoodie

PhillyFoodie Initiate (169) Feb 22, 2015 Pennsylvania

Never had the original, but the grapefruit was amazing. Even without the extra grapefruitiness I don't think you could possibly go wrong.

EDIT: Also had the habenero and even though I thought I wouldn't care much for it, I loved every spicy drop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.