Bar pulls beer from sale after customer claims the bottle looks like a KKK hood

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AZBeerDude72, Jul 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (926) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

All of these things you point out are discussions to be had with the people who made this beer. What is accomplished by choosing to ignore who made it, not engaging in any discussion with them on it, but waging a social media campaign against the character of the people in the establishment that was selling it?

A Black person produced this beer and had a seemingly worthy story behind it. Another Black person sees this beer and takes it in the complete opposite direction. How is the bar being insensitive or racist?

2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

He'S saying there are bigger fish to fry then a symbolically anti-racist beer made by a black person owned brewery.

Longhorn08 likes this.
  3. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,894) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

@Patman73. I think you are probably at least 90%correct. If you understand the meaning and intent why still complain at level 10 and still crucify the bar.
    I have to explain things for a living and have seen people,after the issue is cleared up go out and still scream at someone. They want to argue and be on the side of righteousness

Patman73 and SFACRKnight like this.
  4. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

Nope.

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,484) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

You're wrong. :rofl:

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  6. GetMeAnIPA

People can’t be wrong?

7. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,485) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Ya she would probably have a more interesting and productive discussion with the brewer if she were able.to speak to them.

However, 6 years after release, and in the midst of a markedly different climate of race relations in the country, and considering we aren't talking about the sexual chocolate logo or some imagery that might be a little to sambo-esque for some people but instead are talking about a replica Klansman, it would seem to me the bar carries some responsibility to remind folks of the context under which the beer was produced. Especially if they're recommending it to folks.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  8. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (253) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Apparently that's where your wrong, as in this world you do need to do research to make sure you're not offended by anything, ever, at any time.

While the beer is an over the top example for some, others may have just dismissed it as childish and moved on with their lives.

We can get upset about a beer (or anything that doesn't make us happy) or chose to either
    1. Educate ourselves before we make our own decisions as adults

OR

2. When something makes us unhappy, understand it's not pointed directly as ME as a person and move on.

DrumKid003 likes this.
  9. Longhorn08

Trader

Great point.

10. Longhorn08

Trader

Careful Jimmy, that stove top is hot...... Thats the bars job? Where does it stop?
    That IPA might not fit your pallet, but i know nothing of your pallet, but still reconsider.

DrumKid003 and Prep8611 like this.
  11. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (853) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The bar needs better signage for customers to beware if they are going to put a stove top on the bar.

12. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (389) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

People will always find a reason to be offended by something, it doesn't matter what it is.

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,484) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Let me rephrase. People who immediately take their anger to a 10 over something, only to find out later they were wrong in doing so, cant seem to pony up and admit they were wrong. Or over reacted. They will knowingly continue down the original path they ser out on regardless.

Vitacca and Dragginballs76 like this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

gotcha! I miss understood your first point. I thought you were saying I am wrong, which is fine. Many people probably think so.

if you pony up you admit your wrong and that hurts the ego.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  15. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (5,928) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

Henok from Omnipollo is black. I think he knows a couple of things about racism. And trust me when I say that Europe has plenty of problems with racism. Not the KKK, but we’ve been dealing with neo nazis and the like for a very long time.

16. Longhorn08

Trader

Post of the thread!!!!!!!!

JamFuel and Prep8611 like this.
  17. Prep8611

What a shitty comparison.

Longhorn08 likes this.
  18. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

I always wondered about that beer. I do hear it was meant to be anti-KKK but your average Joe isn't going to know this. Bad marketing ploy imo. Not everyone is hip to craft beer labels and beer names.

thebeers, draheim and StoutElk_92 like this.
  19. Prep8611

It’s a 7 year old marketing ploy. People have internet right?

20. pro100

I'm black myself and an African- American would never in their lifetime make this type of beer label period. I get what he's trying to do but its was a really bad ideal even back when I first saw it and was like, "wtf?"

21. Prep8611

Good thing we are all individuals and Henok owns his own brewery. I really hope he doubles down on it. I will buy more. I love anti-racism good beer!

22. pro100

I sure they do but again, those of us on BA are knowledgeable/hip about breweries and their releases but that's not the case in the everyday world.

JayORear and draheim like this.
  23. Prep8611

@pro100 i agree but most people don’t order a 10-12 dollar beer without looking to see if it’s any good first. Again user error as 99% percent of people have the internet at their fingertips.

24. pro100

I used to bartend for almost 16 years. People would order cocktails/beers/wine/food that they've never tried or drank before in their lives. It would happen daily. The results were sometimes positive and sometimes negative. Outside of checking Yelp to see if the food is any good at a spot, the vast majority of people never look up a beer or drink to see if its any good or not. I maybe saw one or two guys pull up Untapped on their phones to check to see a beer's review. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Enjoy your day

TJM, draheim and Prep8611 like this.
  25. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (853) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Meanwhile, somewhere there is a Dixie will rise again racist at World of Beer who was really excited with his purchase of Yellow Belly until they took off the wrapper to open it and he found out it was mocking him....

26. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

No one is claiming world of beer is legally or morally obligated to have done anything different. Its 2020 though, they have access to the internet. They could've just googled "how do people react to seeing KKK hoods?" And seen that, from a customer service perspective, it's probably a bad idea to have a beer designed to look like a Klansman without providing some level of education to their customers. They chose not to do that research, now they have to deal with a totally predictably upset customer. Given the existence of a single beer dressed like a Klansman its pretty reasonable to expect that its not something you need to be on the lookout for. I suppose if your goal is to never encounter anything offensive to you then you should do lots of research. By the same token, if you don't want to ever deal with angry customers you should probably do some research to ensure that none of your products ate offensive to anyone. If you didn't do that, you have no one to blame but yourself

27. Prep8611

He is just a racist idiot.

28. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I am an overactive ba user and I've never looked up a beer before purchasing at a bar

29. readyski

readyski Aspirant (276) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

In these times, where it seems like everyone is walking on eggshells inside their own and other's glass houses, probably not the smartest marketing move (unless you're looking for conflict or controversy)

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  30. Prep8611

But they started this years ago as something making fun of the KKK. Nothing has changed. Black people were getting killed by police then as well. George Floyd and Breonna Taylor aren’t anything new.

DrumKid003 likes this.
  31. Prep8611

I don’t for a 6 dollar beer either but for something more pricey I ALWAYS do.

AlcahueteJ, JackHorzempa and pjeagles like this.
  32. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I think you are in the minority. I base my high dollar purchases at a.bar on the recommendations of the employees of the bar

33. Prep8611

Hey what do you know two different people do two very different things!

34. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (926) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Hasn't been brewed since 2018. Not currently being marketed. So who is the one looking conflict or controversy?

readyski likes this.
  35. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I know, pretty common, kinda how like one person might find a beer packaged in a mini KKK robe offensive and others might not

GetMeAnIPA, flat_lander and ChangSing like this.
  36. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (5,928) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

And I can understand that, I'm just saying that Henok has some insight on the issue.

37. Prep8611

Ya difference is neither of us is freaking out about being offended.

38. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,130) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

This beer was originally brewed as part of the Rainbow Project Challenge, which was created by Siren Craft Brew. As far as I can tell, there were no donations towards the Rainbow Project from this ongoing series, although it did of course draw a lot of attention towards it at least.

https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/about/rainbow-project
    https://www.therainbowproject.co.uk/

However, I would also like to point out once again that this is NOT a $40 beer, that's simply what the bar was charging. It's naked and ridiculous profiteering, I've seen this beer on shelves in Germany for under 10€.

I can't help but think that this is quite an ironic statement coming from someone with a stylized Iron Cross as their avatar.

39. readyski

readyski Aspirant (276) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Seemingly everyone :confused:

GetMeAnIPA and DrumKid003 like this.
  40. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,148) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yep, it’s sometimes difficult to tell in the United States if people with Iron Cross imagery are letting their Nazi flags fly — or if they’re just moronic skateboard kids from the 90s who just think it looks cool. I always give people the benefit of the doubt that they know what they’re doing and they’re fascists.

JayORear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.