Bar Selection

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bomberdawg, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bomberdawg

bomberdawg Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 Oklahoma

So can anyone explain to a 21 yr how bars work with distributors to get certain beers? Anyway I and some other craft beer guys can get a bar to either switch draft beers ( one at least), or go out get some bottles of the stuff? Love the bar but sometimes I just want a mug of some Belgian beer.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

They ask for the beer....and they get it (unless you are talking about limited release stuff). The problem would be convincing them why to switch from a high selling high profit macro to a craft beer that will cost them more.

3. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Some bars carry craft beer, some don't. It has a lot to do with clientele, profits, marketing, and to a smaller extent the stubbornness of the owner. Realistically, not every bar should sell craft beer, but if a bar wants to cater to a wider audience then they may want to look into getting into the craft beer game.

So, to answer your question (I think?), you should inform the bar that there is market value in having a craft beer or two on tap.

4. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Defender (637) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm guessing there isn't much choice of bars where you are, but if there is, shop around until you find a bar with craft beer or an owner who will listen to your request.

5. geocool

geocool Initiate (175) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

I think it can't hurt to ask. And if you can find out what distributor they use, then call or google them and find out what craft options they carry, that might help. Then you can suggest "your distributor carries XYZ beer, how about you order a case, my buddies and I will probably even buy most of it ourselves."

jbeezification likes this.
  6. rousee

rousee Meyvn (1,033) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts

Sometimes it has more to do with the distributor than the bar owner's willingness to try something different.

7. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

I want a mug of Rochefort 10.
    If you frequent the bar, and are acquainted with the owner or purchaser, just ask if they'll special order you something. I've done it for people, and people have done it for me. It's not going to break their bank to order an extra case of something. More likely their problem with it will be storage space.

8. teal

teal Initiate (77) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Pretty much this - if I was trying to get the bar to make a switch. But it has to make sense. Biker bar where every mixed drink contains Jack? Prob not going to work so well for you.

If it's a place that has craft beer - there are probably only 2 to 3 distributors in the area - find out what they use and ask. That's free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.