Barley Free Brew

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mbarbaree, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbarbaree

mbarbaree Initiate (0) May 27, 2018

My brother-in-law just found out he is allergic to barley. I am tinkering with a sorghum based beer to get around this. This is not a gluten allergy, so I am free to use wheat and rye. Has anyone ever tried a recipe with a combination of sorghum/wheat or sorghum/rye? All of the wheat and rye extracts are out of the question due to the presence of barley. But a partial extract could be done I assume. Any advice would be appreciated

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,558) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

You can brew a beer out of 100% wheat but it's a pain to vorlauf. A lot of rice hulls are needed. It tastes as you'd imagine it. You could add rye to that as well, which I've never done but seems like a great idea. I've never been a fan of the flavor of sorghum myself so I never bothered. Corn, buckwheat, oats, rice, spelt, quinoa, starchy vegetables (pumpkin, agave, cactus, potatoes, etc.), and sugar/fruits are also options. In fact, it doesn't seem like you're really that limited at all but you will have to keep an eye on diastatic power.

#2 NeroFiddled, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (74) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've only made one sorghum based beer, and it was a gluten-free extract. I was afraid of the potential bite of the sorghum syrup, so I subbed in a pound of rice extract syrup and a pound of honey.

I verified that the rice extract didn't use barley to convert (it was an Amazon purchase) before using, but I think Briess makes brown rice syrup specifically for Gluten free beer which may also be useful to your circumstance.

4. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2018 California

Cider is always a good avenue. Fairly cheap and easy.

5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,964) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Brew in a bag technique allows you to brew 100% wheat and rye beers without the problems that come from trying to lauter wort from hullless grains.

frozyn, MrOH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,028) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'm sure that's true. But I'd add that if one already has a mash tun, it's not difficult to add rice hulls to the grist.

pweis909 and Prep8611 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.