Barleycorn's to Close in Early May

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jason, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (7,998) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

Received this email today...

-------------------------

LAST CALL FOR BREWING!
    Barleycorn's to Close in Early May

After almost 20 years in business, we regret to announce the closing of Barleycorn’s Craft Brew.

Our lease is expiring and a decision has been made to liquidate and conclude our operations of providing beer brewing and wine making services to the greater Boston community. It has been an extraordinary experience and a great run, with tremendous people and organizations.

Normal operations will continue until the beginning of May, so there is still time to get your final brews in with us here at Barleycorn’s. The final date for brewing will be April 16th with a final bottling date of April 30th. Homebrew supplies are still available as well.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers through these past two decades.

Barleycorn's Craft Brew
    21 Summer Street
    Natick, MA 01760 508-651-8885
    http://www.barleycorn.com/

-----------------------------

2. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (198) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Shame to think that douche canoe behind Hopsters played a role in this...

3. sts9fan

sts9fan Initiate (63) Mar 7, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What does that mean?

4. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (177) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Perhaps the implication is that by opening a similar business in Newton, Hopsters took business from Barleycorn's.

It's a shame. It was nice having Barleycorn's right in town. Never brewed there but did purchase plenty of homebrew supplies from them. Hopefully this is more of going out on their own terms, which is what this announcement kind of sounds like to me, than straight going out of business.

5. Jason

Jason Founder (7,998) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

I'd point to their Twitter account but the owner deleted all of his tweets ... He's just not a nice person, tends to burn bridges.

6. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (481) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

In a community of opinionated drunks, he's a real asshole.

7. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (198) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hopster's came about and improved on Barleycorn's business model which definitely hurt them. Unfortunately the fella behind Hopsters is a real richard if you catch my drift.

8. sts9fan

sts9fan Initiate (63) Mar 7, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Gotcha. I live and Newton and have never gone. Guess I'm not missing much.

9. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (208) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I have zero nice things to say about Hopsters but I don't think you can really blame them for this. If anything Hopsters might have helped Barleycorn's by popularizing brew-your-own operations; sort of like how the more taprooms open in Boston the more busy they all get.

I follow beer news pretty closely, and local beer news especially. I cannot remember the last time I heard anything about Barleycorn's. It just doesn't seem like they were doing much over there to promote themselves or evolve their business, so this doesn't really come as a surprise. Still a bummer though.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.