Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SeanFitzgerald, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the insight - sounds likely to me, although I don't see why they couldn't have a separately-priced line of "premium" sixpacks separate from the Ruthless/Summerfest/Celebration/etc seasonals. Regardless, I hope they don't raise the price per case/bottle just because they're switching to a different # of bottles per pack.

2. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Probably because there's a strange "price ceiling" effect that happens in the minds of most consumers once you crack the $10 price point. For some reason, people seem to be alright with spending $10 on a 4pk of big beer, but there's a resistance that sets in when they see a $15 six pack, even though it works out to be the same amount per bottle. You can see a perfect example of this phenomenon if you look at the "Bigfoot price check" thread on Ratebeer where a few people are threatening to boycott the beer because it went up to $14/6pk in their market, despite the fact that it's still an awesome price for a such a beefy beer.

A similar thing happens with bottle sizes. Many people will scoff at $2.79 for a 12oz bottle of Green Flash West Coast IPA, but if you offered them the same beer at $5.99 for a bomber they'd be happy to buy it, despite the fact that it costs more per ounce in that format.

tl;dr: people are weirdly sensitive to different price points.

Bluecane, Etan and Mavajo like this.
  3. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Again, I agree with what you're saying, and I would have no problem seeing Bigfoot move to a 4-pack (I would still buy it by the case;)), but it's been a disturbing trend lately (you mention the most notorious culprit yourself, Green Flash WCIPA) to see a beer move from 6-pack to 4-pack while keeping precisely the same price. Right now Bigfoot seems to be around $12-14 per 6-pack, so I hope that it would be $8-9 as a 4-pack. If that's the case, more power to them. I think it would be great to see SN have their 6-pack lineup and 4-pack lineup priced identically - i.e., $8/6 SNPA, $8/4 Bigfoot. I don't think anyone would complain about this. I worry, though, that we'll go from this year's $13 Bigfoot sixer directly to next year's $13 Bigfoot fourpack.

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I suspect that this is exactly what we'll see, much like Widmer pricing their 4pk series (Pitch Black, Nelson, etc) so they hit the shelves at the same price as their main line 6pks.

That's definitely a concern, but I have a feeling they are well aware of the outpouring of complaints they'd receive if they did that. Hopefully someone at SN has read a few of those "WTF Green FLASH prices!!!" posts that have popped up here.

5. siege06nd

siege06nd Dec 29, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Oh man am I glad to see this...

6. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

I like them a lot also. I own the domain "iheartbarleywines.com". not activated yet, but in my name. I should get around to that sometime.

7. wcintula

wcintula May 2, 2010 New York

Are you at liberty to say whose barrels? I'm not picky, just curious.

8. Etan

Etan Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

Yeah, I've definitely noticed this bias (even in myself). For example, I won't bat an eye spending $10 on a 750ml of something really nice. Translate that into around $20 for a four-pack for the same thing, and I'll find myself wanting to pass. Weird!

9. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Nov 18, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I wouldnt pay 11$ for a 4 pack of bigfoot. Its a good beer that i buy by the case but the price has allot to do with that.

10. azorie

azorie Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I love that video on how they make Big foot, just bought a case of it. The Regular BF that is.

Sonofalime likes this.
  11. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Oct 11, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

ummmm ISO BA Bigfoot. One of my all time favorite beers and since they are releasing a BA version. Count me in.

12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

How many 750's are there ia a Bbl.?

13. ewright

ewright Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

"We have about 100Bbl's (just over 1000 cases worth)."

Typically, that would be 12 bottles/case, so a total of 12k bottles, give or take.

14. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Sep 8, 2007 New York

I emailed S.N. years back and asked when they would produce a corked and caged version of Bigfoot .
    Guess the time is NOW !!!
    Hopefully Celebration is next !!

15. iflah45

iflah45 Jul 8, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

any more news on this? release date?

16. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Sep 13, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Bigfoot is my favorite barleywine! So I'm definitely looking forward to bourbon BA version.

17. jchoffman

jchoffman Jan 28, 2012 Georgia

I'm really looking forward to this! Love Bigfoot!

18. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yup, very excited about this since I'm a huge fan of Bigfoot. It will be interesting to see who gets what in terms of distro.

19. trbergman

trbergman Nov 17, 2006 Illinois

See also: Matilda, Rayon Vert

20. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Check beernews.org
    BA Bigfoot is delayed untill next year

21. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

WOO-HOO!!! I'll be watching for this one! (love the regular Bigfoot)

22. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Jun 28, 2007 Georgia

Sad news. :(

23. mikehblack

mikehblack Feb 10, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

So now that it's being delayed even further, what would SN do with the beer? Do they let it continue to sit in the barrel or do they bottle it? If it isn't ready for the volume they want, won't the final product be a blend of different ages of Bigfoot? Seems like it would be frustrating for a brewery to hold onto it, especially running at max capacity like SN.

24. Knotsoevol

Knotsoevol Nov 18, 2004 Connecticut

-beerpulse.com

Sierra Nevada’s Ovila Dubbel 4-pks arrive, Barrel-Aged Bigfoot delayed until next year

Just confirmed with Sierra Nevada Product Development Manager, Bill Manley…
    The beer simply isn’t ready in the volumes we need to go to market this year. It’s been bumped from our release calendar until next year, which we realized was the 30th anniversary of Bigfoot. As for the Ovila Dubbel 4-pack…It started shipping about three weeks ago and should be making its way into the market as we speak.​

25. sierranevadabill

sierranevadabill Jul 2, 2008 California

Sadly this is true, we're going to have to push back the release until 2013. Sorry for the sad news, but barrel-aged beer take on a life of their own. They tell US when they're ready.

-B

26. FosterJM

FosterJM Nov 16, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

:eek::mad:

I have so many emotions right now.
    Makes me sad......

Cheers!

27. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Was it delayed because of volume issues, or QC? I'm hoping it might show up at The Bistro (or something) like the BA Fritz and Ken's.

28. sierranevadabill

sierranevadabill Jul 2, 2008 California

Not QC, (infection) but flavor development... We used some single-malt Scotch barrels which we thought would add better character but ended up tasting pretty flat... we're being pretty picky about flavor profiles from each barrel so we dumped some, salvaged others, and were coming up-short from a volume point of view. We purchased a boatload of new (used) barrels and will be saving what we can and aging some new-make for a final blend to release in 2013. Coincidentally, it is also the 30 year anniversary of Bigfoot the beer, so it's working out better for a debut then anyway.

As for some limited release... We actually ave quite a few draught-only barrel-aged beers that will be popping-up over the next year or so. Vic from the Bistro is typically pretty good about gleaning some of the good stuff!

-B

yamar68 and fartmaster like this.
  29. jchoffman

Where is that unlike button when you need it.

30. fartmaster

fartmaster Dec 27, 2011 California

people are upset about this? im glad to wait for this if flavor profiles are off. thanks bill.

31. sunkistxsudafed

sunkistxsudafed Apr 30, 2010 New Mexico

so some of the beer in the final blend will be over a year old... I'm ok with this.

32. slangtruth

slangtruth Jan 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Getting straight talk direct from the source on this forum is something I remember when I pull Yet Another pack of SN off the shelf. Thanks!

33. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

I would rather wait myself...

34. shand

shand Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

What's not to like about a brewery that makes sure they're putting great products on the shelf over a brewery that knowingly sells a mediocre barrel-aged product just because they invested so much time and money into it?

I'll wait as long as it takes as long as a great product is released.

35. jchoffman

I didn't say I wouldn't rather wait, and I did read the article, I was just wishing they would of had enough for a excellent batch.. I would rather wait than get a mediocre batch of any beer..

36. Keffa

Keffa Jan 8, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Lemme guess, you liked -bal barleywines before they were cool?

37. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

Did you hear about the hipster who burned his mouth with pizza?
    He ate it before it was cool.

38. Keffa

Keffa Jan 8, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Ba-dum-tss.

39. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

40. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

A BA Bigfoot? Yea buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe