Barrel-Aging Beers: What do you want to see next?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MontereyBay831, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,790) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

American cream ale aged in vodka barrels.

2. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Stop with the bourbon/whiskey barrels. Try something else. There are tons of things aged in barrels (I checked). I haven't had Sav and I don't know if they age it in barrels, but if they do then someone should age a big stout in one of them.

3. MattFoley

MattFoley Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Maryland

I like this idea, but do any barrels exist that are made of palo santo wood? I can't picture Sam filling this puppy with 120 minute.

[​IMG]

4. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,901) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A British IPA aged in an Oak barrel without char or toast that never saw spirits, aged and then sailed on a ship for months.

5. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Love parts of your idea but lets do a RIS or Baltic Porter. Oxygen exposure ruins IPAs, why do you think some people on here are obsessed with freshness of their IPA. Also I'm guessing this any style made like this would cost a crazy amount of money.

6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,901) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Do you think that the British IPAs brewed with their malts and hops, to their hopping schedule, suffer from aging, well I can emphatically say no. I have brewed several of these, and I can say it takes a while for the tannins and vegetal flavors to drop out. Young these are harsh and almost undrinkable. After 8 to 10 months they are a beautiful beer. One can also dry hop after aging if one wants to boost the hop aroma.

For reference you can read up on British IPAs in Mitch Steele's book, the Shut Up About Barklay Perkins blog or the entertaining "Hops an Glory" by Pete Brown. Pete Brown had a beer brewed to old specs, and set off on a sea trip to India to drink it there. So there you go, documentation that say it was and can be done.

Why would this cost more money than most of the other proposals here? Well the sea trip would cost some money, but beer is shipped across the Atlantic every day. Maybe DFH would try something off center like this.

Edit
    http://www.amazon.com/IPA-Brewing-Techniques-Recipes-Evolution/dp/1938469003
    http://www.amazon.com/Hops-Glory-Pete-Brown/dp/0330511866
    http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com

And how could I forget.
    http://zythophile.wordpress.com/?s=IPA&submit=Search
    http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Gold-Black-History-Britains/dp/0752455672

Edit #2 Notice I did specify British IPA.

charlzm likes this.
  7. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (321) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

More experimentation with Jager barrels.

MattFoley likes this.
  8. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

Port barrels

9. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

A English Barleywine in Red wine and Bourbon barrels maybe.

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  10. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Disciple (313) Aug 31, 2009 Michigan
    Trader

Cigar city and swamp head did cognac church on a hill

11. Local_Yeti

Local_Yeti Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 New York

Not my idea but recently came into discussion about Brooklyn's BCS with a craft beer buddy and he said he was really intrigued by the idea of aging that beer on coco nibs in used bourbon barrels.

Anyone got Mr. Garret' Oliver's cell # ? :slight_smile:

12. ROBSTARR

Trader

13. ROBSTARR

Trader

14. ROBSTARR

Trader

I'd like to see more brandy and red wine barrels used. Flying Dog aged horn dog in port wine barrels that was pretty amazing. and something a lil new this year Dark Horse is aging there winter warmer 4elf in rum barrels that should be a great combination

15. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

FWIW, Buffalo Trace distillery is making a whiskey with hops (not sure of any other details as it's an experimental batch). I have no clue how that would taste. I know it's a little off topic, but interesting nonetheless I thought.

charlzm likes this.
  16. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

I made a 10% DIPA and in the secondary fermentation added heavy toast oak chips that had been soaked in white rum. The idea was to emulate rum barrel aging.

It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but it was good enough to try to brew another batch at some point.

17. willpedalforbeer

willpedalforbeer Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2012 Missouri

I would like some spiced/winter beers like ST Warlock, Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash, Stone Epic 12-12-12, Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. Also would like to see more BA Scotch Ale.

18. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (221) May 30, 2010 Michigan

A tripel barrel aged Tripel. In a whiskey barrel for 2 months, brandy for 3 months, then inoculated and soured in a wine barrel for a year or two. Not real sure of the process here or if it would really work, but sounds interesting in my brain,lol.

19. jbck109

New Holland makes a tequilla with hops too

StLeasy and BT_Bobandy like this.
  20. Holmes698

Holmes698 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've really enjoyed the belgian quads and dubbels aged in barrels. Ex: Holy Sheet and Forgotten Island.

21. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (120) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

I just figured they could construct a smaller tank for the project or get some barrels made. Maybe age it in stainless on palo santo spirals or chips.

MattFoley likes this.
  22. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Disciple (353) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

I'd like to see some sours aged in gin barrels. Not to mention a nice piney IPA aged in a heavy juniper gin barrel.

charlzm and AlienSwineFlu like this.
  23. Local_Yeti

Local_Yeti Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 New York

Upright Brewing in Portland seems to specialize in aging sours/Belgians in used gin barrels.
    Never had one, but they are on my ISO list :slight_smile:

24. luwak

luwak Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

Okay im game to change my opinion. send me a bottle.
    ; )

25. guyforget

guyforget Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

i would like to see more home barrel aging and less home brewing.

i just put a 12 pack of lime-a-rita in a tequila barrel with toasted coconut and another in a rum barrel with mashed kiwis. will create my own lime-a-rita grand cru and use the proceeds to open a nano-barrel-aging operation where i buy other people's beer and barrel age it.

charlzm likes this.
  26. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Hopquilas great stuff if you like Tequila

jbck109 likes this.
  27. Cedromar

Cedromar Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Massachusetts

They don't have to worry, because they don't actually age beer in those barrels. Vinagash is just Allagash's vinegar they make.

28. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,904) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I'm becoming an advocate and proponent of starting something new.....really something de rigour....something shockingly new and different....how about...NO MORE BARREL AGING!? Its been done. It's now overdone.

It was a great idea for a while. Now, it's "too much" already.

It was fun to taste beers with a whiskey/scotch/cognac/brandy/rum etc. tones and flavor profiles. Now, enough. I've reached the point where I simply want my brews to taste appropriate for style. I've also reached a point where if I want a spirit, I'll drink the spirit!

I realize that we've created a huge profit center for brewers. Good for them. And, if they continue to take advantage of it, well, . . .so be it and good for them. However, at least for me, I'm a bit over it and generally stay away from most BA stuff at this point. (Yes, most, . . . .not all. I'm not saying that they are bad or that I don't like them at all. I'm just saying perhaps not every brewery needs to produce a BA "something." Moreover, we're further saps in that we generally actually go out of our way to age BA bottles! Which, in and of itself, is even more crazy! The barrel aging does the aging! It's all the aging any beer is going to need and to age it is to take an aged beer with a certain desired flavor profile and then age it back to its original? Makes no sense since the aging just minimizes what the barrel did in the first instance.

Well, I'll get off that tangent.

Suffice it to say I'm becoming more and more a fan of "the traditional styles" and what they are and what they represent. Barrel aging is fine as a periodic experiment or when there is a special flavor or profile one wants to achieve. Otherwise, enough is enough already.

Just my opinion.

wesbray and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  29. MattFoley

MattFoley Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Maryland

To each his own, is what it all boils down to. I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I've come to realize I don't really give a damn about what's appropriate for a style. If it's something I personally like, I don't care that it may or may not fit into a particular style guideline, it only matters to me that it's good. And I've realized that I really like a good, complex bourbon barrel aged beer. I don't mind that some people are tired of it or are ready for somethign new. I'm not looking for the next big thing or to stay current with the latest trends in craft beer, just beer that I really enjoy.

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  30. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Well, Lysholm Linie aquavit is already barreled and sailed across across the equator (from Norway to Australila and back), so why don't they throw some beer in the same barrels, and bring them along for the ride... Has anyone done an aquavit barrel beer?

31. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,904) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Absolutely! I agree 100% to each his/her own. Well stated.

32. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

33. jbck109

Sure is, makes an interesting margarita too!

34. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

I'm a huge fan of beers aged in red wine and port wine barrels but the only barrel aged stuff I ever find is whiskey; so I would like more of this style

35. Augustiner719

Augustiner719 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2008 Massachusetts

id like to see breweries stop throwing sub prime beers in a barrel then charging 20+ bucks for a bomber while calling it limited release but brewing 10000 bottles of it

wesbray and jbck109 like this.
  36. ColinStClaire

ColinStClaire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2012 Washington

A smoked porter aged in mesquite barrels.

joelwlcx likes this.
  37. opwog

opwog Zealot (570) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Not a beer in tobasco, but a hot sauce made by Beachwood that uses "seven varietals of smoked peppers, fermented using our house strain of lactobacillus. The same strain that is used for our Tart Simpson Berliner-Weisse." and is then "barrel aged them for about four months in a freshly drained Heaven Hill bourbon barrel."

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...Brews.html?soid=1101872411657&aid=QTF0pod9hwQ

38. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

I want to see more third use barrels. I think the spirit presence is sometimes overdone in second use barrels, but third use barrels are wonderful in the limited experiences I've had with beers aged in them (ie, King Henry).

I'd also like to see more wine-barrel aging, but I think that trend is starting to kick up. The dark fruits in a nice imperial stout mixed with the leftover complexities of a good cabernet in the barrel rock.

39. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

Also, barrel blending. Take a beer like Parabola that's really a great beer as-is. Now, imagine that same level of beer where there is a blender taking the base beer from bourbon, virgin oak, red wine, and scotch barrels and releasing a 60/20/10/10 blend or something.

Some of them would be a muddled mess, but a good blender can make magic.

40. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

Beer barrel-aged bourbon barrel-aged beer. Huh? Yeah. New Holland makes a bourbon that is finished in their Dragon's Milk barrels. If for no other reason than to be the first or to do it for the fun of creating a tongue-twister of a prefix for a beer, I challenge New Holland to age something in those barrels... How about Dragon's Milk?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.