Bars in Florida, Texas, and Arizona close after employees tested positive for coronavirus

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by traction, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

full article @ https://www.insider.com/businesses-closed-after-reopening-amid-new-coronavirus-cases-2020-6

As testing increases this is going to be a larger issue. It looks like a lot of this will boil down to what individual establishments decide to do rather than state making the decisions. Some states have mentioned pausing their reopening plans but other states like Texas have indicated they are going to continue the course despite having record numbers of new infections. Time will tell how it all works out but it is nice to know some bars are having their employees tested rather than simply relying on temperature checks when they come into work.

Cheers and stay safe out there

mickyge, Sammy, AlcahueteJ and 4 others like this.
  2. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (428) Mar 5, 2014 New York

As much as it would be nice to act like nothing is happening and sit at a restaurant or bar with a drink, the answer is drink at home. I'm thankful for my comfortable house and backyard more than ever. Bright side is saving money on food/drinks

3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,290) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

This was foreseeable. I'm still gonna wait a couple more weeks.

4. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,855) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I just got back from the Florida panhandle and it is business as usual down there. Beaches are packed, the bars are packed. Stores still practicing safety procedures, but other than that, it is like nothing has happened. The Buc-ees (Large convenience store/gas chain in Texas and branching out in the south) in Alabama off I-10 was packed, had to be close to 300+ people in there.

5. readyski

readyski Aspirant (272) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Thinking we need this to max the herd immunity. Of course until vaccine it's all a sh*t show :rolling_eyes:

ChicagoJ, Sammy and hottenot like this.
  6. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (459) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Is anyone really surprised? I live in a small county in PA. Had one case in 3 weeks. Started opening things up and now we are seeing an increase once again.

And bars/restaurants are where there are large gatherings. Why not just pick up some awesome beer and have a picnic at home?

7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (292) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Cases have gone up but the mortality rate keeps decreasing.

8. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,116) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

As critical as large gatherings are to a potential increase in infections, equally as critical is the length of time a person is exposed in a static position, IMHO.

In other words, if you're out jogging and you jog past a group of 15 or 20 people enjoying a picnic together, your risk of infection is pretty low.

But if you're part of that group enjoying the picnic and one of the people in the group is infected and the group is together for an hour or two, the risk of infection for others in the group is (relatively) pretty high, especially if the group isn't practicing social distancing and utilizing masks.

Shanex, mickyge, jakecattleco and 6 others like this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,414) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Some restaurants in N Myrtle Beach are closing because an employee tested positive. Other places are closing until all their employees are tested, SC unfortunately is spiking.

beertunes, AlcahueteJ and hottenot like this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,533) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

For now.

Cases go up, then hospitalizations, then deaths. It takes time. Experts are saying the virus was here in January. First US death was in February. The shit didn’t hit the fan until March, and deaths didn’t peak until April.

The hospitalizations is the key number to look at. If those increase to the point of the health care system being overwhelmed (which is why we shut down in the first place, to avoid being Italy) then everything else falls apart.

There are only so many hospital beds in the country. I was surprised to see that my state only has 15,000.

TheBungyo, eppie82, vurt and 5 others like this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,414) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

And here we go again.

It’s beach season, it’s football season, it’s baseball season.

The Phillies guys are turning up positive. Clemson, Texas, guys from the Cowboys. Golfers for Christ sake. NC, SC, Fl, Tx are spiking again. Looks like vacation destinations are in the line of fire here, and imo there’s no way there going to close Beach season, but I really think the NFL despite they’re money and influence cannot force the issue. The bug looks like it wins round 1. Wear masks and be safe, but sports as we know it right now is going to be shut down. MLB shut down all the camps, one guys positive everyone needs to quarantine, just a mess to force this.

12. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,936) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

MLB just closed all team facilities.

Things have gotten so nasty between the owners and players I seriously wonder if the owners will use this as an excuse to simply cut their losses and close on the door on a 2020 season, rather than trying to see if there is a way to salvage the season....which really is no guarantee at this point itself, with the rising tide of this virus. Maybe if they could isolate themselves in a bubble, like the NBA, but I doubt players would accept that.

As a baseball fan, I think I have to be looking at 2023 before we get a full, normal MLB season. Between the virus and the upcoming CBA negotiations, 2 disasters that are going to cut seasons short.

13. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (245) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

There's so many players that are wanting full pay for less than half a season, which is complete bullshit especially considering it's most of the Top 20 paid players saying this nonsense. I know they released/fired all the minor league guys, but they'll work for 50% of what the MLB guys will and it'll probably be just as good if not better because they'll be putting forth 100% effort all the time to make an impression. At this point the MLBPA is a lost cause in trying to deal with them, the owners should just hire the minor league guys to fill the teams out to have a 2020 or 2021 season at this point. The teams' scouting/development guys know who has the talent to put together a team just based on their farm systems.

PA-Michigander likes this.
  14. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

We now cannot go out without a mask, they passed new ordinance that all people use them. Before our dipshit Gov. said AZ was great and wanted to appease Trump we had low case numbers compared to other states. Now we are out of control.
    Amazing how dumb folks are....Common sense goes a long way, except for the sheep.
    Cheers

Shanex, rocdoc1, TheBungyo and 7 others like this.
  15. Stl705

Stl705 Initiate (61) Jun 14, 2014 Illinois

That first statement is not entirely accurate. Players negotiated 100% “prorated” salary in march. So if you play 1/2 the games, you make 1/2 your salary. I don’t see what the hold up is at this point, players want 70 games, owners want 60?

The problem is leadership. Should have made a deal a month ago for 60-70 games starting 7/4 and could have made good advertising money on those games. Now who knows maybe ur right and they just cancel everything.

16. Prep8611

Sounds like massive government over reach.

Skabiski, forum8417 and Skeeter17 like this.
  17. denver10

Society

Living in a city with a Triple A team, there is a big difference between the majors and minors in quality of play. You can't replace talent/skill with effort, unfortunately.

I am frustrated with the players trying to power play things over practically trying to figure out a season, because these negotiations have been pissing contests with constant proposals that everyone knows are dead on arrival. Players have the power and right to not be willing to donate their money to the owners, and I think they should use that because the owners are always quick to use their power and short change the players (and often the fans).

beertunes, vurt and Kman_Colorado like this.
  18. DrumKid003

Yeah last I saw was 60 games, but the MLBPA is balking even at that suggestion. There were several players, when an 81/82 game season was on the table, saying they wanted to be paid in full regardless of how many games they played. One of the Rays pitchers started it and caught huge backlash on his Twitch channel since we were still seeing 5-6 million jobless claims filed back in late April/early May, Verlander (I think), Bryce Harper, whoever is the current MLBPA representative for the players. It's ludicrous that they think anyone gives a shit about what they want when they're making 20+ Million every year on their current contracts, and to make matters worse this was in the middle of when we were still having 5-6 Million jobless claims every week.

19. denver10

Society

I don't get how forcing masks in the midst of a pandemic is any more of a government over reach than forcing bikers to wear helmets, drivers to wear seat belts, or me to wear pants in public.

TJM, JayORear, Irishmafia and 23 others like this.
  20. DrumKid003

If the car was built before 1965 the government (Wisconsin excluded, 1961) doesn't have the right to tell you to put on a seat belt since it wasn't required equipment. There are still plenty of states that don't have helmet laws, and really shouldn't as far as I'm concerned. If you want to ride without a helmet you know, and accept the risks involved, and are prepared for the possible outcomes.

forum8417, Skeeter17 and Prep8611 like this.
  21. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I’m gonna keep my mouth shut because it was predictable. Be patient people. Be ok with being by yourself. It’s good for your mental health anyways.

Shanex, rocdoc1, sulldaddy and 8 others like this.
  22. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Savant (966) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Wow!
    I'm shocked!
    :wink:

BuffaloBill12, AlcahueteJ and Urk1127 like this.
  23. denver10

Society

While I do side with the players, that is a terrible look for Blake Snell. Even if I side with the players, I resented him for those comments. But, then again, I also resented the Cardinals owner trying to claim that baseball isn't that profitable. I am pretty sure I recently read that baseball clubs are projected to gain around $175 million in valuation each year.

MLBPA representative is Tony Clark, who I think is out of his element and does not have the support of the players or, more importantly, the union lawyer. I actually believe the Commish when he says he left the meeting with Clark the other day with an understanding that Clark was going to try to "Sell" the 60 game proposal to the players, but I think the lawyer is the one in the drivers seat and is motivated in winning these negotiations, allowing for good positioning for the next round of negotiations, and quickly said, 'not happening, we want the last word."

Now we have two sides digging in and we get to watch this power play in disgust.

#23 denver10, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    BruChef, DrumKid003 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  24. Urk1127

$$$

mikeinportc likes this.
  25. Urk1127

May the best immune system win y’all. Word of advice I’m sure I don’t need to tell grown adults. Take care of your own. If u believe your place of business doesn’t give a fuck if you get sick and will operate under unhealthy conditions then rethink to yourself if it’s worth it. There are carriers with no symptoms still spreading the shit. Peace.

mikeinportc likes this.
  26. denver10

Society

Yeah, I get the state to state thing (though wasn't thinking about it as I posted). But the fact that some states do have these laws, shows that states have some authority to force these types of things on people.

And I do agree with you on the helmet thing. I have no issue with someone taking a risk and accepting the consequences, when only they are impacted by such decisions.

#26 denver10, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    mikeinportc likes this.
  27. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,377) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

1918. Again, and again... it's not that hard. People just can't admit it.

Shanex, beertunes, laketang and 2 others like this.
  28. Prep8611

This actually reminds me of the year 1984 for some reason.

29. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,346) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Oh my. It seems some don't know how to process something without making it political. This is science. I'll just quote Neil deGrasse Tyson here.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

30. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (280) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Again, you’re not accurate here. Yes, Blake Snell complained, but that was not a negotiation, just him venting (stupidly I might add) publicly. The players agreed to PRORATED salary back in March, near the beginning of this whole thing. They have never tried to push for 100% of their salary. There is no reason to think or suggest that they have...

beertunes, Stl705 and ChicagoJ like this.
  31. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

There is a defiance in a number of people. This is a deadly and spooky "hoax" that many just cannot fathom. Let us all please be diligent and let time intercede. Personally, I do not want to be a statistic during this presidential denial.

rocdoc1, hopfenunmaltz and ovaltine like this.
  32. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

What I am angry about is the news media told the Governor that the numbers were going up, he flat out looked the press in the face and lied. He told people its not bad and that things are great in Arizona. Every meeting he had the news questioned his odd numbers and asked how his charts show decline when we are showing increase. Fast forward to present and we are now the worst state in the union I think for Covid cases. If people would have heeded the warning signs and folks were told to use caution and not hit the bars maybe we would not be in this terrible spot. The irony is this was all about money and we just lost the baseball deal and the convention due to being too hot for cases, so their own greed cost them in the end and the people are left to get sick now.

33. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (14,255) Dec 1, 2003 Canada
    Society Trader

but with all the scientists, they just don't know to handle it

34. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,533) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

What about texting and driving? Drinking and driving? Obeying speed limits?

beertunes and eppCOS like this.
  35. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,009) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

What about the health codes for most restaurants that established the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" rules.

beertunes, eppCOS and AlcahueteJ like this.
  36. Skeeter17

Skeeter17 Aspirant (244) Dec 13, 2016 Washington
    Society Trader

Aren’t there some restaurants where no shirt is part of the selling point? I guess not for the patrons... haha.

Aren’t there “fancy” restaurants where part of the experience is being naked though? Thought I saw a headline a couple years back...

37. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Defender (611) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

However if owners are making 50% per game on 50% of games due to smaller crowds, less hot dogs and beers etc., paying players 100% per game for 50% of games is still a huge cost to owners. In addition there are owner's expenses that continue and have nothing to do with the number of games and the player's salaries.

38. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (280) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

That is certainly a negotiation point, but the other poster was asserting that players were pushing for 100% of their contract salary which simply was not true.

In regards to your point though, owners have enjoyed record profits year after year for quite some time and that $ has not made in back into baseball operations proportionally. Much of it has been leveraged into additional revenue generating assets. Now, when in a pinch they want to socialize the losses so as to minimize their exposure and keep cash flow in a positive position. The players are simply expecting owners to rely on the vast reserves they’ve stockpiled over the last 15-20 years, whether they are liquid or not.

39. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,781) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

- Ecclesiastes 1:9

40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm glad that you see the political problem. North Carolina is spiking upwards after being politically prodded to begin opening up too soon. This is very serious business that will mark our time in history relative to disease transmission and government response and oversight. It has been a profound failure. I didn't know anyone who had contracted the disease and now I do. Stay diligent.....

AlcahueteJ and AZBeerDude72 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.