Bars in Florida, Texas, and Arizona close after employees tested positive for coronavirus

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by traction, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewfisted

Brewfisted Initiate (112) Dec 26, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Does the same logic apply to the large swaths of protestors congregating in every major city across the country, the vast majority of which aren't wearing masks? Or is coronavirus woke? Asking for a friend.

2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,781) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

If only we had some way to prove this statement false.
    And this one.

distantmantra likes this.
  3. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (397) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

If you've got better idea...

jakecattleco and distantmantra like this.
  4. Brewfisted

Trader

If only....

Covid virus size: 0.12 micron
    N95 filtration capability: 0.3 micron

SFACRKnight likes this.
  5. Brewfisted

Trader

Not "may" never.... There WILL never be an effective covid vaccine. It's a mutating coronavirus and NO vaccine has ever been created for a coronavirus, or RNA viruses in general. In addition, there is a very high likelihood of triggering deadly cytokine storms through vaccination and the high volatility of coronavirus.

Prep8611 likes this.
  6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,366) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

They almost canceled a bike trail in my area because it is going to pass under some 80 year old eucalyptus and the county arborist said they posed a danger to unsuspecting bikers/walkers but a bunch of other people consider them a priceless piece of.county history.

I'm pretty sure the resolution was that everyone acknowledged that trees falling on people isn't actually a thing we need to worry about. Trail was supposed to open spring/summer of 2021

ChicagoJ likes this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,781) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

If we are going to allow fear of being crushed by a eucalyptus to stop us living our lives, then the terrorists have already won.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  8. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,366) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Just wear your fucking mask and stay 6 ft from the damn trees!

AlcahueteJ and draheim like this.
  9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,855) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Dendrophobia is the fear of trees. The origin of the word dendro is Greek (meaning tree) and phobia is Greek (meaning fear).
    My work here is done.....

10. Providence

Providence Crusader (751) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Any chance you can back this statement up with evidence? I'm not saying you're lying, perhaps you have solid evidence that the "vast majority" of protestors in Black Lives Matter protests across the country were not wearing masks. I'd like to see said evidence.

I am curious about your statement mainly because it is drastically different than my anecdotal experience. I was at the BLM protest in Providence. The estimate was that there were 10,000 people there. I didn't see a single person without a mask, not one (and I was paying specific attention to it).

TJM, jakecattleco, ecpho and 3 others like this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,454) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Wait, the government has made it legal to kill a fetus, kill an old person, but wearing a mask is over reach? Got it.

12. SFACRKnight

Trader

It would be no different. Our government no longer exists to primate the good of its citizens but rather to allow corporations to exploit then.

jakecattleco and ManBearPat like this.
  13. SFACRKnight

Trader

Were yall 6 feet apart?

pjeagles likes this.
  14. Providence

Everyone I was around looked to be. There were occasional groups of 3-4 people who were close together, which I assume was folks who lived together, but I suppose they might not have. But yeah, from what I saw, people were distancing.

There were also people going through the crowd handing out masks for anyone who wanted one (but no one seemed to, as everyone already had a mask). Point is, safety was a real priority amongst the people I saw, though, admittedly, I saw only a small fraction of 10,000 people who were there.

draheim, denver10 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (150) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

You are wrong and this kind of talk and ideas are why we in this mess. Non science believing idiots like you will soon be a thing of the past. Please get a clue.

16. SFACRKnight

Trader

What I see in denver and other major cities is different...

17. SFACRKnight

Trader

While I like quantifying things the virus is carried on spittle and mucus which affects that size differential.

18. Providence

I am puzzled as to why you think this video demonstrates protestors not wearing masks. Did you watch that full video? There is literally one shot out of all the shots that shows protestors without masks, and it's the shot where it shows the Veterans group who was asked to be in the news piece, which leaves the door open to the possibility that they may have had masks on and then took them down so that they could be seen on camera (not a smart move and not one that adheres to social distancing guidelines, obviously, but it perhaps provides a bit of context). But again, all of the footage of large crowds that begins at the 1:28 mark shows people masked up. The only people from 1:28 on that I didn't see with a mask were people who were at a podium speaking and properly distanced from others. Again, I am puzzled by this choice of video.

meefmoff likes this.
  19. SFACRKnight

Trader

If you could take the time to read my posts that would be great. I'm not even the same chap you were talking to about masks. It's obvious protestors are not social distancing.

20. Brewfisted

Trader

Google images shows plenty. Plus there are countless hours of video from independent journalists depicting the same. The point is simply that nobody seems to want to believe that any alleged increases in infections could have anything to do with tens of thousands of protestors. It's only those out there asserting their rights and fighting the wearing of masks.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  21. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,443) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I am all for protesting, and would say it appears to have a better chance at actual change this go around but the second picture I found when googling Providence BLM protests was this:

[​IMG]

The governor and her two counterparts aren’t masked or socially distancing. I also find it hard to believe 10,000 people were all staying six feet apart.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  22. Providence

I guess it depends what you search in google images, doesn't it. If I search "BLM protestors not wearing masks" I get very different images than if I search "BLM protestors." My point is, google image searches and some news reports seems like it's not enough evidence to reach your original conclusion of the "vast majority" of these folks not wearing masks. Seems like an exaggeration. The truth seems to be that some protestors are not wearing masks, which is much different than "vast majority." Also an exaggeration is saying that "nobody seems to want to believe that any alleged increases in infections could have anything to do with the tens of thousands of protestors..." I absolutely believe that the protests could lead to an increase in COVID cases. I haven't seen concrete evidence of that as of yet, but it's absolutely possible and I would imagine likely to happen.

meefmoff and AlcahueteJ like this.
  23. Brewfisted

Trader

Before casting ad hominems, you may find the difference between aerosolized particles and droplets intriguing. Congratulations. You've proven yourself very easy to control. Oh, and that non-science thing? Yeah, I suppose if I believe in this remarkable tool called called an immune system, then I'm a non-science believing idiot.

24. Providence

My bad. I see now that you were talking about distancing. Indeed, the folks in the video you posted didn't seem to be distancing very well. Not my experience, but obviously it's happening.

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ and SFACRKnight like this.
  25. Providence

You don't know how frustrated I was when I originally saw this. I instantly thought, "Come on Gina, we were all doing well with the masks and you messed it up!" She's actually been awesome about messaging with the masks. It sucked that she didn't wear one in that moment. Kinda ruined it for the rest of us.

26. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (150) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

Wow you got me. Sick burn bro. You obviously are more informed than WHO or CDC. Best of luck with that guy.

27. SFACRKnight

Trader

This is the mentality of our officials. There are going to be several lawsuits as the first amendment has been bastardized this year. If those were religious folk no one would be arguing for their right to assemble.

Prep8611 likes this.
  28. SFACRKnight

Trader

https://bmcpulmmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2466-12-11
    Looks like face mask efficacy has been in question and proven ineffective since the early 2000s
    To paraphrase cough aerosol can measure less than the n95 micron filtration capabilities, and it is the smaller bits of a cough that are the most dangerous and contagion spreading.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  29. Brewfisted

Trader

I didn't cherry pick anything. Just a Google Image search for black lives matter protests 2020 turns up a lot of examples. Not to say this is the case with all of them, but a good number.

30. Providence

Ain't that the truth.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  31. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (813) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Yes, it applies to all walks of life rich, poor, black, white, etc.-whether it's the diverse crowds of protestors championing equal riots, the white crowds going to the Trump rallies, the families going down to the Florida beaches for vacation, or single crowds packing bars.

32. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,533) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Ha, while I know this was tongue-in-cheek, I think the number we want is accidental deaths in the US. Which is the third leading cause of deaths per year in the US at ~170K annually, behind heart disease and cancer.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm

I agree, however as I said, the bottom line is that in certain counties the health care systems are being strained, causing them to back track a bit to reduce the spread of the virus.

So whether it's because of COVID, heart disease, or falling trees, at the end of the day, the hospitals are being overwhelmed in certain areas, and if you can reduce the affect of one of the causes (the virus) you probably should.

I do think both of you make valid points though.

You're ignoring viral load and its impact on whether one contracts the virus or not. And you're also ignoring the electrostatic properties of the masks. There's more to reducing the transmission of a virus than filtration.

Masks do help. I encourage you to go to this site for plenty of resources explaining why. It was suggested reading from a neuroscientist at MIT who the FDA consults with regarding masks.

https://www.n95decon.org/

Masks also aren't a new tool to prevent the spread of disease. Other cultures have used them for previous pandemics.

And if you don't feel like going through studies, here's a quick article with a nice visual on it that lays out the effectiveness of masks during this particular pandemic.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/06/26/masks-effectivness-covid-transmission-rate

I get it, wearing a mask sucks. If you're right and they do nothing, what did you lose? They're uncomfortable? Your rights?

I've made this example before (probably in this thread). If it's hot out, it's uncomfortable for me to wear a shirt indoors. But I do. So does everyone else, no one complains. Wear a mask indoors (outdoors, fine, that's less of an issue). Worst case scenario, you're a little uncomfortable. Best case scenario you could help reduce the spread of the virus and save lives.

Some vaccines will soon be entering the final phase of trials, phase 3. They're actually going quite well.

Viruses have micro mutations each time they transfer from person to person. So far I haven't heard of any major mutations. Well, except for the second genotype that potentially caused the outbreak in Beijing...but we'll ignore that one for now.

Also, there's places that have squashed this thing completely, like New Zealand. If there were mutations that were causing issues, wouldn't there be additional outbreaks there?

Finally, this is different. There's never been a push to find a Coronavirus like this one. The entire world is working together on one solution. SARS fizzled out and wasn't as contagious. MERS was the most deadly, but was the least contagious. And there isn't going to be a huge push for a vaccine against the other four Coronaviruses that just cause the common cold.

Then there's dendrophiliacs...

Dendrophilia (or less often arborphilia or dendrophily) literally means "love of trees". The term may sometimes refer to a paraphilia in which people are sexually attracted to or sexually aroused by trees. This may involve sexual contact or veneration as phallic symbols or both.

Damn dendrophiliacs...

In MA they determined there was not an increased spread from the protesters based on testing performed on them. Granted I'd like to see what things are like a few weeks from now, because it appears the virus takes time to permeate through society.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/06/23/massachusetts-coronavirus-tests-protests

During a press conference Tuesday morning, Baker said that 17,617 tests were conducted over the two-day period and that 2.5 percent came back positive for COVID-19, which he noted was a rate that is “reasonably consistent” with the statewide numbers. As of Monday, the state’s seven-day average positive COVID-19 test rate was 1.9 percent, down 93 percent from mid-April.

In MA the mask law is that if you cannot maintain 6 feet distance outdoors, you are required to wear a mask.

Being outdoors with a mask on and being < 6 feet from someone should be a relatively low risk. I'm sure they were yelling at the protests, which doesn't help things, but I still think it's a low risk.

33. SFACRKnight

Trader

Except most the masks I see used are home made. Couple the porous nature of those masks with yelling and you are creating a highly infectious area. The most infectious parts of aerosolized spittle and mucus are the smallest bits. They essentially dry out while suspended in the air which enables them to be drawn deep into the lungs when breathed in.
    Not to go all tin foil hat but it wouldnt surprise me to find out governments are allowing these protests as a means of getting protestors sick and killing them off.

34. Brewfisted

Trader

Would this happen to be the same WHO and CDC, 2 NGOs that receive the vast majority of funding from private donors and big pharma? Think vaccines and drugs. The same entities whose computer models of tens of millions of covid mortalities was revised downward several times over when they were completely wrong about this thing? Or the same entities who, back in February told you not to panic or start wearing masks, but have since revised that recommendation? Yeah "sick burn bro" indeed.

Prep8611 and SFACRKnight like this.
  35. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Nothing separates us from animals. We are one.

36. Providence

I don't see anything that suggests that Google image curates a wide swath of pictures that are representative of an entire experience. As such, a google image search, in my opinion is cherry picking. But that's fine, I'm cherry-picking too. I'm cherry-picking my personal experience. My point is that we can all look stuff up and fine individual images or videos that support our respective positions, but I don't think anyone has the ability to make a claim that the "vast majority" of protestors aren't wearing masks. Such a statement, in my opinion, is an inflammatory and dangerous message to spread.

distantmantra likes this.
  37. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (803) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Wow.....lots of folks that don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves.

Wear a mask. It’s not perfect but it does help stop the spread. If you don’t wear one you are saying fuck you to everyone else. I wear one 8 hours a day. It sucks but you get used to it, I wear glasses as well and that makes wearing it less fun.

Even if a vaccine is created(I have doubts it will) there is not enough capacity to produce it for the whole world in any good time frame.

I’m sure all the non mask wearing folk will then turn to be the most entitled ones.

I have already started to prepare for shit getting bad again.

Enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.