Bay Area Supermarket & Bottleshop Thread (Q1 2018)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Frosty11161, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redeemer

redeemer Initiate (21) Apr 3, 2017 California

According to FW's beer finder page, it's at the Bevmos in Walnut Creek and Lafayette, and Total Wine in Pleasant Hill, among other places. Still waiting for it to show up in SF.

2. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (232) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Had a bottle of Abacus (calling it Sucaba is lame) this weekend. Got it at the source in Venice. Had it on tap and in bottle. I preferred the bottle. Pretty solid this year. Hoping it shows up at Costco for like $7.

3. Beerbom

Beerbom Crusader (778) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Trader

My local Totalwine in San Ramon ended up getting one case today. I’m assuming a case of these 12 oz bottles is 12 bottles or am I wrong? I bought two bottles. $9.99 each. Also wanted to share that I stumbled onto Russian River CBC11 On tap last night at Toronado. I’d never heard of this before but I had to have it. It took some figuring but it shows up here on BA as Symposium Sour Brown Ale 2011.

4. genog

genog Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2006 Ohio

In town for work for a few days and staying in Campbell. Wanted to know what bottle shops I should check out, and what new beers I should pickup to make my Ohio buds jealous :wink:

5. thuey

thuey Defender (639) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

If you ask me, I'd make a 30 minute drive down south to Santa Cruz/Capitola and hit up Sante Adairius Rustic Ales. They make some of the best Saisons/sours, yet they are highly underrated in their IPAs as well. (I prefer their hoppy beers over most of the trendy California breweries.)

Plus you can pick up some Saison/Sour bottles to go, or their other beers in a growler.

6. buschwhacked

buschwhacked Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2014 California

Best places in Campbell: South Winchester BBQ (great tap list and BBQ, plus some bottles and local cans) and Spread (sandwiches, taps, and bottles to go).

Maplewood and Cask n Flask are two liquor stores with a huge selection

raynmoon likes this.
  7. genog

genog Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2006 Ohio

I would love to have the time to make that drive. Their hours are a little difficult, but will try to make the trip.

Thanks for the tip!

If there are any bottle shops that would be a consolation prize, I have heard that ISO and Taplands are good options

8. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (233) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Never hurts to try and setup an IP trade...

ElijahSF likes this.
  9. DudeBeerYaBro

DudeBeerYaBro Initiate (182) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Maplewood often has shelf SARA. Not sure about Cask n Flask, but Cask n Flask often has some good, if not shady, stuff (i.e. $40.00 westy 12 singles).

10. JonEleven

JonEleven Initiate (59) Apr 13, 2016 California
    Trader

ISO is hands-down the place to check out to buy cans/bottles in that area. Good Karma Cafe also sometimes has local stuff that ISO doesn't, though their selection is pretty small.

Check for whatever Alvarado St they have. Other good things to find there include Temescal, Barebottle, and Modern Times.

11. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I live in Campbell, and the closest with a good bottle selection is Spread. But they are a deli, and their to-go prices are pretty steep. I usually go to Maplewood, which is very close. You'll find stuff like 2015 Stickee Monkee, 20th Anni Firestone, Sucaba, plus all the normal stuff we've been getting. Cask n' Flask is their sister store with a very similar selection (less Firestone), but about a 15 minute drive from Campbell.

Also Santa Clara Liquors (15 minute drive) has a huge selection of barrel aged beers right when you walk in the door. The other day I say CBS, KBS, Parabola, 20t Anni, Mother of All Storms, Black Tuesday (in a box sort of hidden :wink:), plus all the bay area usuals.

If you're near downtown San Jose. ISO does have a good selection for on-sight and to-go. Just around the corner from them is the must stop Good Karma Cafe if you're staying for a glass of something.

Alright I'm rambling a bit.

Chcshammonde and Brent212 like this.
  12. redeemer

Nice to see Moonraker cans at City Beer. There are more Sunny Hours cans sitting around too.

13. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Whoa seriously, what beer? Any other sightings of Moonraker cans on shelves?

14. redeemer

Citra Double Crush. I haven't heard of any other places in SF getting Moonraker cans this week.

jakecattleco likes this.
  15. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Nice, my favorite of the Double Crush series. Hope this is a sign of more things to come. If I can start finding cans of both Revision and Moonraker stuff in beer store coolers, my days of brewery-only releases will definitely be dwindling substantially.

16. thuey

thuey Defender (639) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

K&L SF has a bunch of Jai Alai in case people are interested.

raynmoon and Beerbom like this.
  17. cal_golden_beer

cal_golden_beer Initiate (34) Feb 27, 2014 California
    Trader

I just saw Maine Beer Company at Whole Foods in SF. Anybody know if this is going to be a regular thing?

18. Beerbom

Trader

I dunno but they had Lunch on weds afternoon and it sold out within no more than 10 minutes then they had more of it released Fri AM.

19. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (286) Feb 13, 2015 California

tried lunch - very unimpressed. plenty of better, fresher stuff on the shelves and in better formats around here.

20. redeemer

Nice to see Blind Pig bottles at City Beer today, and with no limit. My only regret is not also grabbing a bottle of Ron Mexico while I was there.

jakecattleco likes this.
  21. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (715) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

wat??? Oh man I hope they sent some down here in SD.

22. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (573) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Anyone know if KBS will be making it out soon?

23. redeemer

According to Beermenus, it's on tap at Beer Basement, and Ales Unlimited has bottles.

24. judasofjericho

judasofjericho Initiate (88) Sep 20, 2010 California
    Trader

Saw KBS bottles at whole foods on haight street this afternoon. Not sure of the price, I was busy loading up on drie fonteinen

25. Beerbom

Trader

What drie fonteinen did they have. We’re they 375 mL bottles or 750’s?

26. judasofjericho

Trader

Last week they had both 750s and 375s, but I thimk 750s are gone now. 750s were $24.99 and 375s are $12.99. Best prices I've seen

27. Beerbom

Trader

Awesome, thanks man. So the 750’s were Oude Geuze...not Oude Kriek or Armand & Gaston??

28. judasofjericho

Trader

yeah, just oude geuze

29. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (168) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

KBS is in the south bay today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.