Bay Area Supermarket & Bottleshop Thread (Q2 2018)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Frosty11161, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (233) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

New quarter, new thread

2. Beerbom

Beerbom Crusader (778) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Trader

Why do you guys suppose our bay area supermarket/bottleshop thread has so much less activity than the LA supermarket/bottle shop thread?

3. TTC

TTC Initiate (71) Jul 16, 2013 California

Harder for people (SF-based) to get around and people more protective of their honeyholes?

DJturnstile likes this.
  4. anvindr

anvindr Initiate (137) Jan 6, 2016 California

less exciting releases in bottleshops around here compared to the bottle logic and cellador of LA?

DJturnstile likes this.
  5. impending

impending Meyvn (1,326) Mar 12, 2010 California

22,000,000 vs 7,000,000

TanBxj and TheBrewsky like this.
  6. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2012 California

BC in the Bay Area we still truck chase for a flippin IPA that is the same as the other ipa just uses Hop #57680 this time where last time used #78934

skawars1 and BayAreaJoe like this.
  7. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (955) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

DJturnstile likes this.
  8. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (573) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Disagree. Based on the years I lived in the LA area, I would say there’s much more truck chasing there compared to the Bay. Craft beer consumers seem to be more motivated to seek limited releases there despite the larger geographic area. Perhaps is due to the years of lacking good breweries that consumers had no choice but to seek shelf offerings. Here in the bay, beers like Abraxas that would be sold out in an instant in LA end up turding on shelves.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (747) Mar 19, 2012 California

Picked up Waldo's Special Ale at Hoppy's Food Mart in Sunnyvale.

10. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Beer on shelves just isn't good. Abraxas is now on shelves? Turd.

11. thuey

thuey Defender (639) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

When I tried Abraxas on tap at Beer Rev's 7th Anniversary, I thought it was gross. So there's that.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  12. thuey

Society

For the first year I can remember, BCBS is shelf-turding pretty hard. I see it at a lot of stores I've visited, although I feel like a lot of it is because of how they raised prices so much this year. BevMo has stacks of it for $15 (although it's on "sale" for $13 now)

Also saw Waldo and KBS (4-packs) at Bayshore BevMo today. I picked up Firestone Lager there, since not many places are carrying it.

_pat_ likes this.
  13. grilledsquid

Trader

I can see that. How do you feel about other spiced stouts like Stone Xocoveza, Prairie Bomb, or Huna?

14. thuey

Society

Xocoveza may be my favorite stout of all time. There's something about the balance that's really well done, and is infinitely drinkable.

Bomb! is a little strange - sometimes I really enjoy it, and other times, it falls flat. I've mostly only had it on tap, though. I take issue with a $10 bottle of non-BA 12oz beer. Pirate Bomb has been my favorite iteration though.

Haven't tried Huna.

From what I remember of Abraxas, it had this syrupy sweetness that was really off-putting. I didn't even finish my glass.

dranthony2012 likes this.
  15. M-14

M-14 Initiate (137) Feb 5, 2014 California

KBS bombers at Costco Santa Cruz for $15.88.

Then I found this at Trader Joe's in Los Gatos:

[​IMG]

KevSal, m34josh and BayAreaJoe like this.
  16. anvindr

anvindr Initiate (137) Jan 6, 2016 California

HIGHLY ACCLAIMEd

17. BayAreaJoe

Trader

TJ's is THE SPOT for beer value, break open any pack with no marking up on singles. Saw these at Berkeley Bowl West but of course they were way more expensive with the singles markup as well.

18. grilledsquid

Trader

I popped open a bottle of this year's KBS and found it very enjoyable especially when compared to some of the previous vintages I've had.

JayORear likes this.
  19. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,487) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Me too . . . it's actually the first year I've really enjoyed it.

grilledsquid likes this.
  20. grilledsquid

Trader

I've given the whole pastry stout craze a try and I think I've just about given up on them. Most end up being too busy. I prefer stouts with, at most, one or two adjuncts so I'm pretty happy that KBS came out good since it's affordable.

JayORear likes this.
  21. cal_golden_beer

cal_golden_beer Initiate (34) Feb 27, 2014 California
    Trader

Has Sucaba come and gone? Anybody know where I can get some in SF, Oakland or Berkeley?

22. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Well if you feel like making the trek out to Total Wine in Pleasant Hill, they still had a ton of them there last week. It's a 15 min. walk from the PH Bart station. Coupon posted above.

23. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (747) Mar 19, 2012 California

Anyway seen Parabola yet?

24. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2012 California

I havent even seen Sucaba yet.

redeemer likes this.
  25. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (76) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Hit a bunch of South Bay stores today

QuakeAttack likes this.
  26. M-14

M-14 Initiate (137) Feb 5, 2014 California

Plenty of Sucaba and Parabola at BevMo on Camden yesterday. $10.99 ea.

27. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Berkeley Bowl West now gets cans from Altamont - had a few Juice Above The Clouds when I stopped in there.

28. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (470) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

29. crico925

crico925 Initiate (112) Jul 8, 2015 Colorado
    Trader

There a two noteworthy events going on in the East Bay tonight. Ol in Walnut Creek is doing a sour fest and they some rare stuff on tap - JK Spon Blueberry Pitaya and a '07 vintage of Cantillon Iris. They also said they would have some rare bottles for sale.

The other event is at The Good Hop in Oakland. There are a couple of East Coast breweries do a tap takeover - Magnify, Dancing Gnome, and Triple Crossing.

I'll be at Ol, and hoping that some of the stuff at Good Hop sticks around until tomorrow.

30. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Deactivated

I think it's because there's basically only Total wine/ K & L/ City beer store/ Twitter / Good hop / Beer rev and a few other shops scattered around the Bay, and they all sell the same thing 90% of the time. Since we're all already kind of "in the know", there isn't much to report.

In places like LA or NYC with a million crafty liquor stores and bar/bottleshop combos you never know when a Fou foune or a Casey or some unannounced thing might show up.

I happen to think Berkeley bowl west is a a goldmine for random rarities that regularly surprise me.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  31. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (286) Feb 13, 2015 California

Anybody try the altamont cans from the latest release? How about the seven stills/new world ales collabs?

32. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

End of March Altamont cans, or more recent?

33. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (286) Feb 13, 2015 California

Was thinking about these 4 - apparently just released today:

KevSal likes this.
  34. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Sorry can't help, cheers

beermeplz likes this.
  35. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Had the Maui Waui and Dank Row. Maui Waui was a good, solid tropical IPA, surprisingly light and thin but drinks really easy and quick. Dank Row was a great effort at a weed-tasting IPA, I thought it was better than Revision's Leafy Greens, but it's not too fruity. Nice to try for 4/20 but not something I'd seek out.

Will try the other two this week and hope for better.

beermeplz likes this.
  36. TboneRN

TboneRN Defender (636) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

Hey guys, in town for a conference with the wife who is pregnant. Wife doesn’t enjoy sitting at a bar with me since she can’t drink so I’m looking for cans of peach blunt to drink at the hotel. Staying at the Mark intercontinental, does anyone have any intel on a liquor store near there that still might have cans? Just hit up city beer and they had eight pounds but no peach blunt. Thanks in advance for any help
    Cheers

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  37. TboneRN

Also eight pounds is good but missing a little bitterness

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  38. thuey

Society

I think Peach Blunt sold out really quickly, even at the brewery as per their IG:

There's not a whole lot of distribution though, outside of the brewery, so if you didn't find it at CBS or K&L (PB is sold out there too), there's not too many options.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  39. TboneRN

Ok thanks for the prompt response! Maybe I’ll just have to go to cellarmaker and get a growler then. Thanks for the intel!

40. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Minnesota

If in MN I recommend Forager or Barrel Theory. Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.