Bay Area Supermarket & Bottleshop Thread (Q2 2018)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Frosty11161, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Wolvmar

Wolvmar Aspirant (290) Jul 2, 2014 Michigan

Thank you very much for the help. Arrived today and made our way to AJs which was just down the street from where we had an appointment. Great selection as noted. No Parabola or Lagunits Waldo but did find Prairie Artisan Ales Deconstructed Bomb. Bought Deconstructed Cocoa Nibs and it was awesome. I’ve had Bomb before, PAA is just beginning to be distributed in MI, but this was amazing. I love dark chocolate and this hit every button. Going back tomorrow for more of it.
    Still have Deconstructed Coffee to try and will buy Vanilla and Chilli peppers tomorrow.
    Also bought Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin and 21 Aniversary Ale on recommendation of the kid in the shop. Hopefully they are good.

Hoping to get to SARA tomorrow, possibly the Monterey breweries Saturday. Still looking for Parabola as AJs was out. Kid there recommended looking at Safeway?

Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated and a great beer scene here. Happy to help with MI beers, of which there are plenty of good ones, if you’re in the Mitten sometime.

AllHopsMatter and BayAreaJoe like this.
  2. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (77) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Which airport are you flying out of? If you’re driving back through the South Bay or Peninsula, Parabola is still on shelves.

If that is not an option you could call Beer Thirty and see if they have it. Or 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall says they have it, but I think you would have to drink it on-site

3. M-14

M-14 Initiate (196) Feb 5, 2014 California

BeerMenus shows Parabola is still available at 99 Bottles in SC.

4. Wolvmar

Flying out of SFO but will be heading up that way early Sunday morning, probably before anyplace is open. I’ll check Beer Thirty or 99 Bottles. Thanks!

5. thuey

thuey Aspirant (275) Nov 13, 2015 California

I've never seen Safeway carry the Firestone specialty beers. Hell they don't even carry a lot of their year-round beers.

But if there's a Whole Foods out there, they may carry it. At least the ones in San Francisco get that stuff. (Saw it a couple weeks ago, but I don't go too often.)

6. gregoryG

gregoryG Aspirant (217) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Also, the falafel and the shrimp & fries are great at AJ’s. Don’t sleep on Corralitos Brewing if you are heading to Monterrey from Santa Cruz. They are a little brewery making great lagers as well as ipa, stouts, etc.

Ma9573 and BayAreaJoe like this.
  7. Beerbom

Beerbom Defender (603) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Hey guys City beer store has moonraker - wicked whisper with coconut in bottles available today

TheBrewsky and JayORear like this.
  8. thuey

The peeps in the Moonraker thread didn't like the Coconut version but when my wife and I went to Moonraker during its release, we tried both the Coconut and the Maple and both of us picked the Coconut for different reasons. (I thought it was better period, she liked the Maple better... initially... but said the coconut was more nuanced and interesting for continuous sipping)

Then again I didn't have it in a bottle, but I doubt that makes much difference.

Brent212 likes this.
  9. Wolvmar

Trip turned out to be busier with other things besides my beer hunt...but, found FW Parabola and Sucaba at Beer Thirty in Soquel. Also picked up a bottle of BA Old Rasputin there. Old Rasputin was one of my first “big stout” crushes so I’m excited to try the BA version.

Picked up some extra Artisan Ales Deconstructed Bomb Cocoa Nibs to take home and a bottle of the Chili and Vanilla versions as well. Suitcase is going to be a bit heavier heading home!

Unfortuntely, didn’t get to Monterrey but maybe next time. Thanks for all the assistance on this thread. Really big help and very much appreciated!

10. Beerbom

Beer Trader

I bought the maple version several weeks ago there so I can try them both now.

thuey likes this.
  11. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (159) Feb 21, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I guess I need to bump this to say that you shouldn't listen to my Toppling Goliath comments. I'm in Chicago, likely the biggest TG market and sure to get their beers fresh, and thought the Pseudo Sue I just had was amazingly average. They just must not mesh with my tastes, which means people should definitely buy their stuff in the Bay based on the reviews I've seen :grin:

Obuwan likes this.
  12. Beerbom

Beer Trader

It turns out I ended up with two coconut variant of this and not one maple and one coconut as I thought I did so if anyone wants to trade their maple version for my coconut variant let me know. The coconut was damn good though.

thuey likes this.
  13. Beerbom

Beer Trader

I know distro has been sparse lately but can anyone tell me where they’ve seen bottles of blind pig in the East Bay lately. I saw some a few weeks back but now that I’m Jonesing for it I haven’t been able to find it. I know most places don’t get Russian River distro until like Wednesday or Thursday.

14. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (50) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Things might have changed in the past year or so, but as I recall, Blind Pig doesn't distribute outside of the brewery. I think they make a big deal out of that.

It's possible your local liquor store buys cases and sells them under the table but i've definitely never seen it at a store.

KevSal likes this.
  15. crico925

crico925 Aspirant (217) Jul 8, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I saw it at Monument Liquor in Concord about a month and a half ago, but I haven't been back there since. Not sure if it was a one time drop or if they are receiving on the regular. Might try looking there or giving them a call.

16. JayORear

JayORear Savant (962) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

City Beer in SF gets it legit every once in a while. I was there tonight and they said it's been a few weeks, they never know when they'll get it. Btw, today at least Pliny was no bottle limit.

KevSal likes this.
  17. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (752) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

My last visit to City Beer I had 3 Blind Pigs on tap.

18. thuey

K&L Online has Heady Topper, Crusher, Focal Banger! Get them while they last!

(And have them shipped for pickup at your K&L of choice...)

Edit: Well they had 20 Headys, and about 10 of Crusher and Focal Banger when I first posted, but they're all gone now

19. redeemer

redeemer Initiate (21) Apr 3, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Bah! I saw this too late. Hopefully more Alchemist stuff makes it out here in the future.

20. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Devotee (445) Nov 23, 2017 California

Those bottles you saw a few weeks back were the first distribution in a long while and maybe ever for some. They disappeared super quick - no way you'll find bottles unless they distribute more out.

The Hop Grenade (Concord), Monument Wine & Spirits (Concord) and OL Beercafe & Bottleshop (Walnut Creek) all get regular weekly shipments from Russian River (mainly Pliny bottles), and they'd all probably post to Instagram the second Blind Pig comes in again.

#100 BayAreaJoe, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  21. Beerbom

Beer Trader

Just an FYI… K&L wines has Maine beer company – Another and Woods & Waters iPAs in stock right now. Apparently bottled on May 1 so pretty fresh

22. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Devotee (445) Nov 23, 2017 California

These are currently at Monument Wine & Spirits in Concord as well.

23. thuey

Btw, went to City beer store today during 1st quarter and they have both variants for sale...

24. Beerbom

Beer Trader

Niiiice thank you. Looks like I’ll be in the city tomorrow so I can pick up the right variant. Ty so much

25. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (97) Aug 7, 2014 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Hey guys! I'm going to be visiting SF for the first time and I'll be staying in the financial district, right near union square. Are there any good beer bars or bottle shops in that area? I won't have a car, but I'm open to walking 20 minutes if it's worth it. I'm not looking for anything crazy rare, just good local IPAs and/or Belgian styles. Thanks!

26. SDReaper

SDReaper Zealot (590) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Cellarmaker, City Beer Store, Toronado, and Mikkeller bar are all within 2.3 miles of Union Square.

BayAreaJoe and _pat_ like this.
  27. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (239) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Hopwater Distribution is also close by. Good food there too.

M-14 likes this.
  28. MCBanjoMike

Beer Trader

I'll look into those, thanks!

29. JayORear

Don't "look into" Cellarmaker, just go. :grin:

30. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (261) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Never hurts to try and setup IP trades with your local brews.

31. MCBanjoMike

Beer Trader

Heh, I appreciate the thought, but I won't have a checked bag and I don't have anything special to offer up. I'm just going to hit up a decent bar or two and maybe get a few singles for the hotel room, nothing too extravagant.

32. SDReaper

SDReaper Zealot (590) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

If you decide to go to Toro....bring cash. Since I do not believe they do cards as of yet for that SF location.

33. thuey

Yes, Toronado SF is absolutely cash only. But they do have an ATM in the bar.

34. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (261) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

I'm not in NorCal but there are always some people who don't mind helping out a fellow BA, not everyone is in it for MAX PROFITZ. Just a thought.

35. thuey

For more bottle shops... about 15 minutes walk from Union Square are:

- K&L Wines on Harrison St
    - Whole Foods on 4th Street / SOMA

(they're like a half block from each other)

You can even check K&L's website and filter by the SF location and beer to see what they have. That's where I get most of my to-go stuff these days.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  36. JayORear

Also, Crafty Fox usually has a solid taplist and, often, Alvarado cans to go.

37. mikehblack

mikehblack Initiate (118) Feb 10, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Heads up, just picked up a couple of 4-packs of Modern Times Critical Band at the Fremont Total Wine. $7.99 each. Crazy good price. Not sure if it is a mistake, their website says 9.99. YMMV.

thuey likes this.
  38. thuey

That reminds me... for you SF Costco shoppers... where is the beer?

I went a couple weeks ago, and all I saw was if you face the registers, the right hand wall alongside the cereals, ketchups, whatever have a bunch of 24 packs, and a few run of the mill bombers like Brother Thelonius.

I didn't see a single seasonal beer or specialty beer (sour, barrel aged) like I used to. Is that stuff in a different location?

39. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (239) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

The one off El Camino moved all the beer a month or so ago. Far corner with basically nothing as far as seasonals go. Really lame. I'm sure the beer buyers/merchandisers keep gettimg shuffled around.

On the flip side, Total Wine is opening off the 280 and Serramonte!

thuey likes this.
  40. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (488) Mar 19, 2012 California

I have been always jealous of the stuff available (FW) from the SF Costco. I usually shop in the Mountain View and Sunnyvale Costco's which have cases and some random bombers as you mentioned.