Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

BBC Barrel Aged Saint of Circumstance

Discussion in 'New England' started by phorestfreak, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phorestfreak

phorestfreak Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2004 Connecticut

So, I've have seen this pop up recently on draft lists in CT which is great but I curious about the bottle distribution. Does anyone know any details? Numbers? Is it making it out of Mass? Any info is appreciated. Thank you
  2. braineater

braineater Initiate (159) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

I would be surprised if this was bottled at all.
  3. Auror

Auror Defender (643) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wasn't Saint of Circumstance the mystery IPA they made after they didn't get the right hops for Lost Sailor? Will the hops hold up in the barrel and not fade?
  4. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Poo-Bah (1,807) Aug 7, 2002 Massachusetts

It is bottled. I found some on the Northshore.
  5. speakorspasm

speakorspasm Aspirant (226) Jan 14, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

yep, in bottles now. sample at your own risk...
  6. mmcgrath

mmcgrath Aspirant (272) Mar 3, 2003 Massachusetts

thought i noted a touch of tang on draft the other week at cambridge common - bottles slightly infected too?
  7. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (97) Jan 8, 2012 Massachusetts

It's definitely bottled (in bombers) and I've seen in it all the Pioneer Valley bottle shops I've been to. Didn't get any infected taste in the several bottles I've had, but the sour mash barrels have left their own character one could mistake for spoilage, I guess. I have no info as to bottle count, but I suspect not many. I've really enjoyed it and am struggling to not drink all of my small stash before it gets too hot out - I think on a 90 degree day it will be like ambrosia. It does not have a strong hop profile, but I don't remember standard SoC from last fall having one either - aside from the very first month or so of their Good Night Irene that's not really what BBC goes for.
  8. davey101

davey101 Meyvn (1,080) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed it on tap at the brewery more than I did from the bottle. Didn't notice any infection though. I also spotted some bottles in Springfield marked up to $9.49...
  9. mmcgrath

i didn't know what barrels were used, i'm sure that's it. i liked it quite a bit.
  10. speakorspasm

Beer Trader

I realize that we're talking sour mash whiskey barrels... but I thought the sour tang was completely out of control for the style. Unrestrained and wackily phenolic. I usually enjoy BBC's offerings but this one was too much for me.
  11. ljkeats

ljkeats Aspirant (295) Jun 27, 2007 Massachusetts
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Thought it was Jack Daniels Barrels.
  12. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,463) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts

Is sour mash whiskey all that sour? I'm sure the mash is sour, but they distill it before it goes in the barrels, does the sourness carry over much?

Asked as a non whiskey drinker
  13. davey101

Beer Trader

Lol, have you guys ever drank Jack Daniels before? Sour mash means they blend in a portion of the old whiskey mash in with the new batch to quick start fermentation. Its not sour in taste.
    woosterbill likes this.
  14. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (154) Jun 7, 2005 New York

All green apple. Nooooooo thaaaaaaaaanks.
    woosterbill likes this.
  15. speakorspasm

Beer Trader

No, not really. As an astute commenter noted above, "Sour Mash" only has to do with blending whiskey into the mash... so while I get a tanginess in Jack that other Bourbons lack, it's not enough to be responsible for the level of sourness in this beer.

Honestly, I'm surprised at the positive response for this beer. I'm with Knifestyles, all green apple and weirdness. Makes me wonder if I had a bad bottle... that, or everyone is crazy. Or, maybe, I AM THE ONE WHO IS CRAZY.

Whoa, just blew my own mind. Now back to my can of Heady Topper.
  16. braineater

braineater Initiate (159) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

17. woosterbill

woosterbill Poo-Bah (2,616) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

It was my bottle (an extra from davey101 - thanks!) that prompted Knifestyles' green apple comment, and I can confirm that everyone at the tasting concurred with his assessment. It was simply not good.
  18. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (239) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

I actually think this is marketing gimmickry gone one step too far. Sour Mash Whiskey Barrel-Aged!! It is almost, just almost, tantamount to saying "whiskey made with corn" barrel-aged. Not only there is nothing unique in "sour mash" whiskey, as already been pointed, the vast majority of whiskeys are sour mash, whether it is stated on a bottle or not. If somebody uses sweet mash it is usually a special and/or limited release of some sort, i.e. quite rare.
  19. davey101

Beer Trader

Damn, sorry to hear that. I absolutely loved this beer on tap, hence my high rating of it. Maybe something happened during bottling...

I bought two bottles, gave one to you as an extra and drank the second one after a few other high abv beers. I guess I'll revisit this beer tomorrow sober as my roommate still has a few left.

It's BBC. There is next to no hype behind this beer and the bottle count is probably really low. Jack Daniels isn't a bourbon and I'm not sure what has to be done to use a brand name on a label like that. Saying it was just whiskey barrel aged also kind of down plays the fact that they used a well known brand.
    Pahn and woosterbill like this.
  20. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (239) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

Saying that it's "sour mash whiskey" rather than simply "whiskey" not only does not enhance anything - wording "sour mash" does not reveal the barrels' source, but it also misleads consumers - just look at the questions posted in this topic alone.
  21. slangtruth

(shrug) re: "sour mash", I just read off what it said on the bottle, I've never been to the brewery and had no idea it was Jack barrels or what, but knew that the barrel was what was making it taste different from the regular SoC and Franklin County Preservation Ale (same thing) I had last year when it came out. I also haven't had it on draft, just in several bottles. I enjoyed the ones I drank, gave a couple away and heard back from one of those friends that he liked it as well. Somebody said $10 a bottle above and I wouldn't pay that, the ones I bought were about $7, same as their other "special" offerings like IS, Rasp Barleywine and Gude Greg. I'd suggest that if you see it on draft and are curious, ask for a tasting pour and make up your own mind. Or skip it, there's lots of beer out there.
  22. davey101

Beer Trader

Yep, It was $6.99 near the brewery. Just stating that a few places seemed to mark this beer up, despite never doing so for their other special releases. Pretty damn lame.
  23. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (199) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

I have a couple cases of this at The Vin Bin in Marlborough if anyones looking for some. I personally didnt enjoy it, I had it on tap at the Horsehoe Pub, but I have spoken to many who really like it, and I love berkshire, such a good brewery!
  24. mmcgrath

hhhmmm, got any Consider Bardwell Dorset presently at the 'bin? could kill two birds here.....

ICCULIS Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Massachusetts

Sorry - the DeadHead in me just couldn't let that slide :wink:

For the non DeadHeads out there: Lost Sailor is a Grateful Dead tune. It is often (always?) followed by Saint of Circumstance. Oddly enough, Not Fade away is yet Nother GD tune. Just seeing 'not fade' w/o the away in a GD related beer thread was just too perfect. The brewers at BBC are most certainly deadheads.....

I'm looking forward to trying this. I enjoy most all of BBC's offerings and have dug their past Barrel Aged beers. Gude Greg was aged in Woodford Reserve barrels. I'll keep an eye out for this...
    MyIronLung and davey101 like this.
  26. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Gordon's in Waltham has it. Didn't catch the price.
  27. speakorspasm

Beer Trader

All of our locations still have this, last I checked. It is 9.99 - not by way of silly markup on our part, simply because that price is consistent with the margins on the rest of their beer.

Re-reading this thread, I am afraid I came off a bit harsh towards BBC. I dig most of their stuff and am always intrigued to support their nascent experimentation, but spade's a spade; either there are some infected bottles out there, or the emperor is just naked.
  28. Jagger

Jagger Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2006 Massachusetts

On cask right now at Amherst brewing
  29. jhb138

jhb138 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 Massachusetts

As stated above, taste at your own risk. If you enjoy sour beer in general, you may enjoy this. Personally, I do not.

Having tasted the orginal SoC, it seems pretty clear to me that the beer has "gone bad." Just goes to show what happens when relatively weak beer (~5.5%) spends 8 months in a barrel. I would have liked to taste this about 6 months ago....
  30. mmtroop1218

mmtroop1218 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Surprised to hear this, im on my 4th bottle and I just went out for more, I found this beer to be extremely good and didn't notice anything bad that would have caused me to not go out and get it again. Im not sure if people are mistaking the sourness for being bad or if some are actually "infected" Its funny to cause i swear the more it warmed up the more the jack came through and reminded me of a wiskey ginger, just my 2 cents
  31. slangtruth

I'm going to backslide on this myself. I bought a case, drank a bunch of them and as mentioned above gave a few bottles to friends, and had no problem with anything that I drank up to now. I opened another bottle tonight, and it definitely seemed off to me. I have three bottles from my case left. I live in the general area of the brewery, I will call them next week when they reopen and see what we can work out. I'll let you know.
  32. HopsHopenstein

HopsHopenstein Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

tasted a sample at the Julios spring beer fest today, my girlfriend had gone up to get the sample didnt tell me what it was and told me to try it. I thought for sure it was a wild or a sour. I didnt think it was horrible just tasted more sour than ipa.
  33. mmmaaattt

mmmaaattt Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Just saw some bottles of this at Bauer on Newbury Street in Boston. I believe it was $8.
  34. caseyf

caseyf Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2006 Massachusetts

Me too - I just picked up 3 more bottles today. It's really weird stuff, but weird in a "hm, I'm going to have to take another sip of this" way. I was afraid that I'd have a craving for more later and I can see myself drinking this on a hot day.

I didn't think "Sour Mash" on the label was gimmicky, I just figured it was a way to hint at what kind of barrels were used. Jack is weird stuff too and it's definitely in there.
  35. davey101

Beer Trader

So I guess its either batch variation, or a very polarizing beer. I bought another bottle over the weekend from a different store. It wasn't as good as on tap but I didn't notice green apple notes, sour flavors, or any signs of infection. Certainly jack notes as it warmed up though.
  36. TonyAWS

TonyAWS Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2011 Massachusetts

I thought this beer was great. My impression was that this was a soured mash beer, not a beer aged in "sour mash whisky" barrels. I'd love to hear from the BBC guys to get some clarification. For those of you that hated it, do you hate it because it's a pale ale out of style or because you hate it across the board? I thought the balance between the barrel aging and the sour mash was perfect.
  37. Aaron58

Ahh no Dorset, we have palette though
  38. Aaron58

Auto correct, I mean pawlett.
  39. slangtruth

There's only one batch. I went by there today, and the fellow I spoke to cheerfully swapped out the three bottles I had left from the case I bought for another beer. To answer the original post, he said they'd bottled 400 cases (a very low number for them). He did not indicate he had heard of any complaints.
  40. davey101

Beer Trader

^ meant bottle variation, not batch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.