Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

British Columbia BC RISs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 604growler, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 604growler

604growler Jul 20, 2009 British Columbia (Canada)

Tried Parallel 49s RIS yesterday and was very impressed. Add that to Singularity and Russell's Rick August RIS, I am finding less reason to need American RISs like Old Rasputin and Ten FIDY around all the time (besides smaller containers). Thank you Parallel 49 for helping to bring our BC RISs around to the quality of our IPAs.

2. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Totally agree. I just wish Rick August wasn't a one-off.

3. ericj551

ericj551 Apr 29, 2004 Alberta (Canada)

Enjoyed the 49 the other night, looking forward to the Singularity I picked up and both versions of the hammer. Haven't seen the Rick August, is it recently released?

4. ericj551

Never mind, just used google to answer my question.

5. LampertLand

LampertLand Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Driftwood's 'Singularity' 2013 edition @ 11.8%ABV was just released and moving very fast , picked up a 6pack to put away in the cellar , and will pick up another two later in the day to do a taste and compare against the 2012 edition @ 11.6% ABV , and Parallel 49's RIS which I'm looking forward to trying ,
    Go BC go , Brost

6. canucklehead

canucklehead Mar 7, 2003 British Columbia (Canada)

The Hammer in both versions is a great value ( I paid $6.75 for the barrell aged version). Parellel 49 is going to be releasing their IPA soon and the DIPA from Powell Brewing just came out. Oh yeah , Coal Harbour IPA is out in cans and is the best British IPA in BC IMHO.

ericj551 likes this.
  7. strang

strang May 27, 2009 Alberta (Canada)

How limited was the Parallel 49 RIS? I hope we get some in AB, really enjoyed their milk stout.

8. ericj551

Sampled both versions of the hammer last night at the brewery. Both are really good and cool to have side by side. Really approachable and at 8.3% it doesn't need a few months to mellow out. Both versions are a steal at $5.50 (at the brewery).

9. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Jun 11, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

I'm sipping on a 2013 Singularity at the moment. As far as fresh drinkability goes, this is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2012. Last year's was quite hot and very bourbony -- it was almost like an imperial stout with a shot of bourbon poured in. This one is far more balanced and goes down oh so smoothly. Highly recommend grabbing a bottle if you haven't already.

Rutager and pudoo like this.
  10. LampertLand

LampertLand Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Well just finished some 'RIS' review's , had a look in the cellar preparing for next weekend's debut of
    'The Abyss' to my tastebuds as well as some other fine beers and got to thinking of reviews/rankings
    for our BC 'RIS' so far - I've got Singularity at #1 , Megadestroyer at #2 , (yeah it'sa double butt it's my list)
    Pothole Filler , The Hammer & The Hammer Barrel all tied for #3 ,
    i'll even give Swans 'Black Swan' a go again before P49 'RIS' , sorry
    that said I'm real curious about Russel's Rick August RIS sounds tasty ,
    glad that the .25 reviews can help with another tasting of
    Phillip's two Hammer offerings , which one is better?
    a true steal at the brewery thanxs ericj551 & finally 'The ROC' , oopps
    the sipping of a 2013 Singularity , oh yeah , a little more time , one of the best beer buzz ever !!

11. smekermann

smekermann Oct 18, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the P49 RIS. It's a decent imperial stout, but as a bourbon barrel aged one, it's supposed to be comparable to Singularity. It's not. It's really thin-bodied (almost watery) and if I hadn't known it was supposed to be a stout, I would've assumed it was a porter instead. Also, I really really doubt it's actually 10.9% ABV. I had two bombers of it and barely felt it. By comparison, two bombers of 2013 Singularity (which was supposedly a similar ABV) really fucked me over the next morning.

Anyway, in regards to the OP, you're kinda comparing apples to oranges. P49's stout is supposed to be a barrel aged imperial stout. Old Rasputin is just a straight up imperial stout. Barrel aged stouts are supposed to be larger than life, meaty, muscular, punchy, viscous - all sorts of aggressive adjectives. P49's version really isn't any of those things. I guess taste is subjective and some people may appreciate the lighter taste, but again: 1. I'm 95% sure it's not 10.9% ABV, 2. even compared to the 2013 Singularity, it just fails to stack up. You have a sip of the Singularity and you're blown away by its complexity, its up-front roasted malts, the bourbon burn, and kinda marvel at how easily drinkable it is, and then you have a sip of the P49 RIS and it's just.... ehhh. Thin body, limp-wristed flavours, bourbon is barely present... I dunno. It was my first barrel aged stout of the year and I initially thought it was pretty grand. Then I had Singularity and I was like, "oh. So this is what a bourbon barrel aged stout is supposed to taste like." Then I went to San Francisco to visit a friend of mine and we did a side-by-side of both stouts and, I have to say, we ended up slamming down the P49 because it tasted so watery compared to Singularity. We also had a ton of other barrel aged imperial stouts over the course of a few days, including Old Rasputin XV, the new barrel aged release of it. Singularity held its own against most of the contenders, including OR XV and being largely comparable to Midnight Sun's Berserker in terms of quality. The P49 RIS was long forgotten by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe