BCBS in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'US - West' started by vdubku, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdubku

vdubku (0) Sep 21, 2015 Kansas

I will be in Maui on Black Friday (I know, poor me). I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Hawaii to get BCBS or will I need to rely on my husband back in KC to get me some?

Also looking for good bottle shops on Maui in general. Thanks for any help!

2. Donco

Donco (0) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

My guess is that you'll have as much luck as I will finding some here in Philly. On the other hand, I'd MUCH rather be searching for this in Hawaii than here.:wink:

3. rawfish

rawfish (0) Dec 9, 2010 California

I think Whole Foods or Tamura's Fine Wine and Liquors would be your best bet. I would call ahead and see if they are getting any and if it will make it to Hawaii by Black Friday (overseas shipping logistics are kinda screwy) so you can plan appropriately.

4. Black_Rider

Black_Rider (0) Mar 26, 2013 California

I have heard that Hawaii gets it, and it sits on shelves

5. sarredo

sarredo (0) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I was there in February and was able to still get 3 4pks at whole foods. Not too mention some other great ba stouts.

SanFranJake likes this.
  6. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Hawaiian shelf turds?

Black_Rider likes this.
  7. sarredo

Trader

Looked like most ba stouts sit there. Multiple years of abyss and fifty fifty eclipse on sale

8. Black_Rider

Black_Rider (0) Mar 26, 2013 California

come to think of it, maybe that would be a good way to guarantee getting some of the variants. i might fly to Hawaii for Black Friday

64vdub, badb_rad, sportstsar and 2 others like this.
  9. Nisfornike

Nisfornike (0) Apr 5, 2013 California

BCBS usually comes late in HI. Rarely seen on black friday. Rare to see variants as well... Hoping that changes

10. vdubku

Thanks for the help everyone! It makes sense that BA stouts sit on the shelf out there - not quite beach-drinking beers. Although I could probably be convinced to drink one almost any time.

11. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 (0) May 10, 2009 Texas

Well, nothing at WFM it seems.

12. Donco

Donco (0) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Yet ANOTHER reason to move to Hawaii:sunglasses:

Black_Rider likes this.
  13. vdubku

Tamura's by the airport had around 5 cases - no limits.

14. sarredo

Trader

Drank one while I was there with a coconut cream pie from Leoda's. That's definitely the way to do it.

15. MattyPrize

MattyPrize (0) Jul 7, 2011 Oregon

Nothing yet on the Big Island. From what I've heard from other people, Whole Paycheck on Oahu or Maui will have it.

16. HaoleToYouToo

HaoleToYouToo (0) Mar 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

Whole Foods Kahala (Oahu) had it on tap Thursday...

17. JISurfer

JISurfer (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

Tis true, it does sit on the shelves in some places. Other places, it goes fast though. I found 4 packs on Maui in May at the Whole Foods. When it's on tap, you can usually get it a week or two after they tap it. Then again, a small pour is $12. I found a 2014 MOAS at a corner store in the fridge last week. If you look at my Gots list, that ought to give you a pretty good idea of what sits and is readily available here.

18. ShoyuStout

ShoyuStout (0) Mar 26, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

WF Maui got around 15-20 cases. The beer/wine/cheese dude did a impressive job setting up a Goose corner w/ Sofie/BCBS/Winter Ale. $8.80 over the weekend w/ their bomber sale ($10.99 regular).

Tamura's Kahului still has 3 cases on the floor, $9.29. Not sure about the Lahaina location.

No variants, no limits at both places.

19. theperk

theperk (0) Jul 14, 2012 California

Any chance of finding any on Kauai? Heading over in the morning for a few days, then off to Oahu for a few more.

20. JISurfer

Not sure what they get on Kaua'i, but if they did get it, I would imagine the demand wouldn't be too high. They do have a couple of local breweries there that supposedly have decent stuff. We never get any of it over here on Oahu though. I think it's been bought up over here, but I could be wrong. There always seems to be that corner store somewhere that it sits or is in the back room. It shows up on tap here a good bit. I think it was on tap just last week, as a matter of fact.

21. theperk

Nice, thanks for the info!

Any tips for Oahu? Beer or other.

22. vdubku

I didn't have much time on Oahu, but I did hit both REALa Gatropub and Honolulu Beerworks. Selection at REAL was fantastic, and Honolulu Beerworks was a cool spot (beer was above average but not crazy). Also went to a great breakfast spot with my friend who lives there - Koko Head Cafe. Lots of options with a local twist.

JISurfer likes this.
  23. JISurfer

Beer wise, the post above pretty much nails it. I would add Lanikai Brewing and Waikiki Brewing as well. Tamuras on Waialae and Bevmart for beer stores. If you like kitchy tiki bars, DO NOT MISS La Mariana Sailing Club. Bourdain has visited there with good reason, lots of fun in the evenings, but can get crowded. Last call is at 9ish, haha! For Shave Ice, Your Kitchen, Uncle Clays, Shimazu Store, or Wailoa are good choices. For local plate lunch, Rainbow Drive Inn (get the loco moco), Pongo's Kitchen for Guava Fried Chicken, Duke's for brunch buffet.

24. theperk

Thanks guys, you pretty much nailed any tips I'm looking for. Girlfriend loves the shave ice so those tips are much appreciated. I love a good moco loco and that fried chicken sounds awesome. Kauai has been a great time, looking forward to Oahu tomorrow.

25. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Cases still available on Maui.

JISurfer likes this.
  26. JISurfer

:slight_smile: Folks didn't believe me when I told them. Now to get a ticket to Maui to go beer shopping.

UCLABrewN84 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.