Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

BCS in Chicago

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Mjmoser, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Anonymous1

Beer Trader

KH and Bramble are gone. There was also a full case of 2011 BCBS, now gone. They still have 2011 Coffee for 29.99.

2. thereal

Man, not 3 months ago, this would have been "gouging" on this site, now everyone's chasin' whalez.

JakeT469 and da_bulls like this.
  3. ppohio

Beer Trader

I live a block away - I thought it was gouging and let it be.

Of course I've still never tried King Henry, so who's the real loser? Me.

4. mbockstruck30

Beer Trader

I agree, which is why I do not frequent that place. And I was torn about posting because I didn't want to give them business (hence the whole caveat shpeal). But I will say, there are few beers I would pay well above MSRP. KH is one of them.

5. ikaika122

Beer Trader

Best shopping experience of my life, Baudoinia on tap at whole foods, stuck around just for a 2nd

yepbye2 likes this.
  6. ikaika122

Beer Trader

...and I hate shopping

Lincoln Park WF if anyone is interested

7. Lansman

Beer Trader

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but it seems to be getting a bit more pervasive at smaller stores around Chicagoland as they 'catch on' to the explosion in the popularity of 'rare' beers- stores are getting a case (or fewer) of beers (such as Cherry Rye in the most recent instance) and not putting it out for sale right away. Instead, they hold the case and sell the bombers after everyone else is long sold out. The justification for charging double retail (or more) for the bombers they eventually put out is unilateral. I was told yesterday, "$39.99 (for Cherry Rye) is the price. Where else are you going to find it?" Previously, I was told at another store that a 4-pack of CW BBS for $19.99 is reasonable because "it will sell out when you can't find it anywhere else."

Stores charge what they want and what they can get for a product - I totally understand that, and the same goes for any other consumer product or service. Just putting out a general observation that seems to be growing more and more with each new 'rare' release.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  8. LSMroz

Beer Trader

Where did you find the Cherry Rye?!?!

I've found with these types of up-charging places, if you buy 2 they are more likely to let you talk them down.

9. jebsinger

place i picked up my cherry rye (when it first came out) had NO clue what they had they would have let me buy the whole case of them if i'd had the money.

10. ravot

Beer Trader

i need to move to dekalb.
    amidoingitrite?

11. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Thinking about driving down to Chicagoland this weekend, visit FFF, get some fresh ZD and shop around.. I guess I'll have to come back to this thread when I'm down there?

Any Binny's selling BCBCS at a reasonable price??

12. harrylee773

Having paid $19.99 for a bomber of Cherry Rye a week after it came out (and a week after getting gouged out of $35 for Coffee), I'd pay $39.99 for a bottle of Rye now in a heartbeat. Shit, I'd probably pay double that (if you're reading this and own a liquor store, I'm just kidding)(maybe).

13. pmoney

Beer Trader

There isn't any Zombie Dust and there won't be for a few weeks. Also, essentially all Binny's haven't had BCBCS for awhile now. Plainfield got some a week or two ago, but it's got to be gone by now.

14. Mgm54

Beer Trader

There is a convenience store in Evanston that still has BCBCS (4 i think, could be wrong) at 23 bucks a pop I think, sitting on the shelf. They also have Night Stalker, Big John, and 120 min.

15. Tom4Pres

16. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Yeah I saw that, that's too bad. But I can wait- plenty of other very good beers to be had in FFF. If there's no BCBCS around in the downtown area (drank the 2 bottles I picked up driving through last month) then maybe I'll have to wait a little while. It'd be funny if there were actually bottles to be had in Dekalb or Rockford- that's closer to where I am than Chicago is.

17. Mjmoser

I think you can still get Rare and CBS there, so no reason to believe BCBCS isn't over flowing the end caps..... :)

18. DropDead

Got a bottle of BC Coffee Stout at the Cardinal Wine & Spirits on Grand and Harlem couple weeks ago. I was in Elmwood Park for some reason and remembered Beermenus said they have it. Wish I could just go to Binnys and get some :(

19. BeerMeFitz

Liquor store In Edison Park has BCBCS for $24.99 and had 4 bombers in fridge. The place is on NW highway just past Oliphant...Cheers!

20. leftyhyzer

Beer Trader

Z
    ZD is back

21. brstls4drmrs

Subscriber Beer Trader

Greetings everybody. I have a buddy going to Chicago this weekend. Can somebody shoot me a BM with 3-5 bottle shops for him to check out? He really wants to get some BCBS. but from the look on this forum, seems like he may miss out. but you never know. Just give me the best shops to which his chances are high to possibly get some Bourbon county offerings. Any of them. Thanks in advance!!!

22. moefriedman

Beer Trader

Fischman's still had a few cases last night(limit 1 4pack)

23. MegDuf32

Beer Trader

2010 BCS tapped at burger bar

Dontcounttoday and ravot like this.
  24. Stevedore

Beer Trader

And it looks like carry-out ZD is all gone, based on the FFF menu. Though they still have it on tap. While I'll probably be in Chicago this weekend, not sure I want to brave the weekend crowds at FFF just yet- the 3 times I've been there have been on weekdays around lunch hour. I want to visit Map Room and/or Hopleaf anyway in addition to Revolution and GI Clybourn.

I should ask- any good bottle shops nearby these places, and might any of them be carrying any BCBS + variants?

25. ikaika122

Beer Trader

Binnys Lincoln Park is right across the street from GI Clybourn

26. markmcconv

I bought to bombers of BCBCS off fullerton last night. it was a bit of a drive west for me (about 5 miles). dude had 4 cases left out of 10. i called to make sure he still had some, and he put 2 off to the side for me. I browsed a bit and the only other GI products i saw was 312 cans and a Sofie. let me know if you want the name of the shop.

27. markmcconv

$23.99 each.
    :/ not too bad.

28. markmcconv

everybody asking which shops to check out, should start using Beermenus.com. that site is a life saver sometimes in the city.

LSMroz likes this.
  29. Dontcounttoday

Beer Trader

Rockwell's had a really amazing Goose Island takeover tonight which was pretty low key. Beer highlights included Boudoinia, Cherry Rye and Coffee, among many others. What stood apart from other GI takeovers however were the deserts. The (owner??) made Big John ice cream, which he had plated with an amazing chocolate graham cracker brownie slathered with BCBS chocolate syrup. There were also Big John or BCBCS vanilla ice cream floats. Seriously amazing. I had never been here before, but Rockwells was very impressive and I will definitely be returning.

[​IMG]
    Full size photo - http://i.imgur.com/EZ6zZNX.jpg

[​IMG]
    Full size photo: http://i.imgur.com/RGwFWEX.jpg

Oh, and all the beers were poured in some pretty sweet, somewhat famous goose island (whiskey style??) glasses.

Mjmoser likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe