Beachwood BBQ Announces Next Bottle Offering: System of a Stout

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by UnknownKoger, May 7, 2013.

1. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Jul 9, 2010 California

[​IMG]

To be released 5/24

jgluck, otrejo, Thirsty_Rob and 4 others like this.
  2. the1DarkLord

the1DarkLord Nov 19, 2010 California

I want this epic-ness in and around my mouth asap.

3. blguillen

blguillen Apr 19, 2011 California

oooh yeah! :cool:

4. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Jun 8, 2010 California

Solid stout, wish I wasn't getting back from Calgary that day

LieutenantSour likes this.
  5. vacax

vacax Jun 3, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

One of my all time favorite coffee beers (aka Calistouts)

vurt and teamizm like this.
  6. grandmachine

grandmachine Mar 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Nice. I hope they release Melrose next.

dcgunman likes this.
  7. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Aug 9, 2011 California

I take it this is a totally different recipe than Tovarish?

dcgunman likes this.
  8. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Well, that's going to be a busy weekend for me but I know I'll be there.

9. StarRaptor

Hell Yes!

10. beachstrength49

beachstrength49 Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'll grab a handful of them and set one aside for you. We'll have to set something up after they are released and meetup at either Beachwood location and grab a beer together and I'll bring a bottle along with me for you.

StarRaptor and MarkIntihar like this.
  11. blguillen

blguillen Apr 19, 2011 California

How many cases were made available for purchase of their previous releases? Is this something that I should try and get at Beachwood or go hunting for?

12. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Jul 9, 2010 California

it's varied. They haven't released bottle limits/counts yet. Thrillseeker was pretty widely available as was Full Malted Jacket, but Bourbon Barrel Aged Full Malted Jacket and Tovarish flew. They said more info would be coming soon

13. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

It varied. Thrillseeker was showing up in places like Pasadena and the South bay as well as in Beverly Hills. So it got some pretty big release. I think it lasted at the LB location for at least 3 days or so.

Full Malted Jacket BA was gone in a flash at the locations themselves within hours. I saw the non-BA version, and still see it today at places all over L.A. and the valley.

It probably will be around for a couple of days and you can go hunting for it. But the easier option would be to go there for it.

Thirsty_Rob likes this.
  14. baycat

baycat Apr 30, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

What is the trade value!

15. the1DarkLord

the1DarkLord Nov 19, 2010 California

Beachwood makes sub-par beer across the board, so the trade value is probably going to be SUPER low.

I'd steer clear of this release.

Please, don't buy any. ;)

16. moosington

moosington Mar 29, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

The best coffee integration in a beer I've had to date.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  17. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

It was a bit too intense for me and that's coming from someone who loves good coffee. I felt the same way about Tovarish and Taps Imperial Balinese Stout. The best coffee stout I've had of late is Stone Espresso IRS, which is incredibly balanced. I wasn't fond of Dayman either.

18. vacax

Beer Trader

I speak with certainty when I say the trade value is enormous. I know I'm going to hoard it. I mean advocate it.

Beerandraiderfan and pmarlowe like this.
  19. grrrah

grrrah Sep 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Hmmm. Memorial Day road trip coming up!

20. Thirsty_Rob

Thirsty_Rob Oct 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'm hoping they barrel aged a batch that will be released at their locations. Anyone with insider information?

Thrillseeker was on the shelves of Whole Foods Pasadena last week I think it was...

21. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Interesting, the bottled version looks like it won't have the Armenian brandy in it.

kojevergas likes this.
  22. kotayk

kotayk Feb 22, 2011 California

will Serj show up at the release ?

dvnbtn likes this.
  23. opwog

opwog Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

From what I remember, it wasn't necessarily "in it;" but that they used Armenian brandy soaked oak chips. I noticed the same thing when reading the description for this current release.

24. vissai

vissai Oct 6, 2010 California

As an Armenian, I am super excited for this. I can't wait to have it side by side with my grandmas gritty armenian coffee.

LieutenantSour, kotayk and Madirish76 like this.
  25. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

. . . . .again a another classic label from a very classy brewery. Beachwood rocks. Their beers "r" the best in LA and OC. Will pick up bottles of this.

26. moosington

Beer Trader

Hmmmm, yeah, I thought Espresso IRS was good, but not great. To me, System of a Stout was certainly intense on the coffee, but not heavy handed. Tons of coffee flavor and aroma with none of the astringency/bitterness (which is typically the mark of poorly made coffee). Agreed on Dayman. Probably the best IPA/Coffee effort I've had, but still not a great beer.

27. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

Naturally we all have different thresholds for certain flavor profiles. I tend to prefer more a more balanced approach with regards to coffee in beer, hence my preference for Espresso IRS. The coffee was present and never went away, yet it didn't bombard each sip which was what System of a Stout tasted like to me. I was very psyched to try it and it happened to be on tap one of the times I visited the LB location. The coffee was so intense, I found it very difficult to get through. A friend, who was with me that day, who also happens to be a coffee aficionado, also felt the same way.

28. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

The cardamom scares me, not a flavor I'm into. One of those DFH/FFF cardamom beers (or both?) kind of scarred me a little bit.

How pungent is it in this beer?

29. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

I can't say it was cardamom specifically but there was a flavor present that I couldn't pinpoint. It could very well have been cardamom.

30. kotayk

kotayk Feb 22, 2011 California

Armo BA's unite....cant wait

vissai likes this.
  31. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Beer Trader

If flavor had much basis on trade value (which it frequently does not), this would probably be a highly sought beer.

But I'm not sure that anyone outside of Southern California knows about Beachwood BBQ, so I can't imagine this beer will land you walezbro.

32. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Nov 27, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Can't wait for this.

I sincerely hope that a bunch of neckbeards don't line up hours before the release and snag all the bottles.

vurt likes this.
  33. moosington

Beer Trader

Well it's becoming quite apparent that I'm right and you are wrong ;)

kotayk and grilledsquid like this.
  34. grrrah

grrrah Sep 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Does Beechwood sell the bottles too? (Website reads as draft only) and do you guys think he bottles would last until 5/27?

(Sorry noob questions from norcal)

35. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Dopeness

A case willl go nice with some bbq nachos...

36. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Nov 28, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I think bottles will last. We'll have a better idea after we see what goes out to distribution.

37. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Aug 9, 2011 California

For the last release (Thrillseeker) bottles were available at Long Beach and I believe the Seal Beach location as well.

38. StarRaptor

I would say that for the most part the answer is NO.

Now here me out as I am well known as a Beachwood fanboy. To date Beachwood has bottled around 6ish beers over the course of the last year. All of them were small releases (some tiny 200ish bottles) with no repeats. I'd hardly say Beachwood is bottling their beers, more of they have bottled a beer here and there.

Edit: In case I'm not clear. Yes you can buy whatever they have recently bottled at the brewery (Long Beach) and Seal Beach locations - if it's in stock.

39. vacax

Beer Trader

Don't be so sure about that. I had never heard of Toppling Goliath or Perennial until they turned into dem waelz.

40. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Okay, fair point about Toppling Goliath, and about the unpredictability of waelzness. (I brought a Perennial beer to that epic bottle share/whale slaying you and Jer hosted last year. But there was nothing waelzish about that one.)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe