Bear Republic Racer X DIPA

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by HoppySuds, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoppySuds

HoppySuds Initiate (139) Aug 6, 2011 California
    Trader

It seems like this one was flying under the radar a little bit, so I figured I'd let you guys know. Bear Republic's Racer X DIPA went out through distribution, and is hitting floors today! (in Los Angeles)

We got a little allocation at Adam's Fine Wine & Liquor. I'd suspect some of the other stores that get beers allocated from Stone Distributing will have it as well.

Cheers!

2. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

Picked one up on Friday and cracked it yesterday. It's pretty great -- the hops aren't the modern tropical fruit bombs we're getting these days, but it's as excellent a classic west coast DIPA as you'll ever try.

quetzal013 and jtmartino like this.
  3. besaunders

besaunders Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

Shouldn't they call it Racer XX?

4. mattdbh

mattdbh Initiate (172) Feb 21, 2009 California

Not sure why it's called Racer X. Racer 5 is their IPA. I would think they would call the DIPA Racer 10 but they have another DIPA called Racer 15. No idea where the X comes from.

Anyways, can't wait to get my hands on a bottle. Haven't had it since SF Beer Week.

5. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Initiate (124) Jun 30, 2009 California

X is the roman numeral for ten.

arniepnminne, Pelican5 and Kopfschuss like this.
  6. mattdbh

I know that but I had a bartender correct me when I ordered a Racer 10 once.

7. besaunders

Doh! I had a brain hiccup and thought that the IPA was called Racer X. Never mind...

I'm guessing that they ran into no trouble with the people that own the rights to Speed Racer. Or maybe that would have been the case if they called the beer The Mysterious Racer X DIPA.

8. MissionWoodlandHills

MissionWoodlandHills Initiate (45) Jul 2, 2010 California

We'll have it tomorrow.

9. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Aspirant (248) Jul 25, 2008 California

Saw it yesterday at Healthy Spirits for 9 bucks so I passed. I've had it before and it's good, but I can't justify paying that much for a DIPA bomber.

10. jtmartino

jtmartino Disciple (317) Dec 11, 2010 California

[​IMG]

11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Good news. This is a great beer.

quetzal013 likes this.
  12. PlinyTheYoungest

Well it's not called Racer 10, it's called Racer X. That's just what it means and why it's named that. Though that bartender was probably a bit of a douche.

2beerdogs and fernz18 like this.
  13. theconductor

theconductor Initiate (184) Nov 4, 2008 California

We've had it on tap for a few days. Such a great brew!

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  14. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,405) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

I have no idea why they call it X instead of Ten. I know it's the roman numeral for ten but nobody calls it Racer 10.

they must not like making any tips... Although if they did it in a non douchey way I wouldn't care.

15. besaunders

Look up at my previous post, as well as jtmartino's. Cartoon character...

16. SnowFlowMfg

SnowFlowMfg Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 California

Gonna try to pick one up today. Hope total wine has it. Hoping that some BCBS might make it out here to.

17. Hopmother

Hopmother Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2012 California

fullerton college liquor & mr. k's in placentia got this beer

18. jtmartino

[​IMG]

BrewtifulMind likes this.
  19. besaunders

This raises the question - will Bear Republic release a Spritle Stout, a Pops Porter, a Trixie Trippel, or a Chim-chim Cream Ale?

20. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (574) Jul 9, 2010 California

Stearn's in Long Beach has a few bottles left

21. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 Nevada

Haven't had this since SFBW. Good stuff.

22. thunderroad12

thunderroad12 Initiate (47) Nov 13, 2008 Virginia

The bartender was probably a douche because the guy ordered a beer incorrectly, and the guy told him the correct name of the beer? WHAT AN ASSHOLE!!! Guy should be fucking fired. Unbelievable. Customer service, wah, wah, angry face, blah, blah.

Seriously? Maybe the guy was trying to be helpful. Either way, I would posit your comment was you being a douche, but I could be wrong, maybe you were trying to be ironic/sarcastic and I missed it because I have no frame of reference and no firsthand knowledge of the situation. Imagine that.

AWolfAtTheDoor likes this.
  23. PlinyTheYoungest

Dude, you totally win in the douche off. Thanks for playing.

I've seen too many casual beer drinking friends get turned off by bartenders correcting them on how to say a beer's name. He knew what beer he was ordering, so why not just pour it for him? He could have said it in a completely non-douche way, but that just hasn't been the norm in my experience.

libbey and alfrantzell like this.
  24. besaunders

I was going to ask if you hang out a lot at SF's Toronado, but your profile says you live elsewhere.

There is a lot of assuming here about the "correct me" statement. I'm guessing that most of the bartenders that recognize me would say "it is called Racer X, you douchebag".

PlinyTheYoungest likes this.
  25. PlinyTheYoungest

I actually used to live down the street from Toronado SD, and while for the most part their bartenders are great, a few of those "correcting" instances did occur there.

26. TicoCali

TicoCali Disciple (313) Jul 25, 2010 California

Awesome beer. Picked one up yesterday !

27. thunderroad12

Dear god, you were wrong about something and someone gave you information. SON OF A BITCH!!! Seriously, get over yourself and just deal with being wrong and being told so. It doesn't make someone a douchebag to give you information. I'll grant there's a right and a wrong way to do it. Such as you assuming the bartender did it the wrong way when you have no reason other than your own completely separate experiences in your mind to justify that. Or you were just talking shit. Either way, settle down and realize that sometimes you're wrong and other people know what you're wrong about and maybe, just maybe, they're trying to help you. You're welcome.

28. besaunders

Why did you quote my post? It was PlinyTheYoungest you were arguing with, not me. I was responding to his comment about bartenders, not to anything you wrote.

Or maybe you just quoted the wrong post?

29. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

I hope I'll be able to snag a bottle of this. I know we won't be getting it in Fresno, but I'm gonna be in Malibu/Redondo/Venice on Saturday and Sunday. Fingers crossed,

30. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

thunderroad12, hostile much?

31. mattdbh

thunderroad12, why you mad bro?

I honestly don't think the bartender was trying be a douche. Maybe he was. I didn't take it personally. He no longer works there so whatever.

In other news, got a bottle of Racer X last night. So good!

32. SnowFlowMfg

SnowFlowMfg Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 California

Picked up a case at total wine, they have three left. Really a good beer. Too bad it's so limited!

Talked to the distributor and he said that they may not make it for another year.

33. besaunders

I saw quite a bit of it at the San Diego location of an upscale grocery store chain in SoCal.

34. MexicanSkittel

MexicanSkittel Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2010 California

How can the bartender correct you when you're not wrong?

35. PlinyTheYoungest

Hah, I'm glad he quoted you. I have no interest in getting into BA thread arguments.

36. scootsmal

scootsmal Initiate (154) Aug 15, 2012 New York

looking forward to its arrival at my local store here in NY. Im a big fan of the Racer 5.

37. besaunders

Maybe he's a bartender...

38. robL

robL Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 California

Grabbed a bottle at Vendome's Beverly Hills last night. They had a case on the floor that was mostly full. Might have more in the back too. $9/ bottle.

39. thunderroad12

Absolutely quoted the wrong post, sorry about that. Just tired of seeing douchebag responses like that assuming the worst from people trying to help them.

besaunders likes this.
  40. jtmartino

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.