Beau's announces plan to sell company to employees over 25 years.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianBacon, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...lling-ownership-to-employees/article30046219/

In a bid to remain independent, Beau's announced this morning that they plan to offer shares of the company over the next 25-30 years to its employees. This is an interesting idea to me, but with a possible 150 owners has the potential to destroy the independent nature of the company down the road. By independent nature I mean 150 owners will have to vote and wont agree very often. What does everyone else think?

2. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,917) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

It will only ever be a small percentage of shares up for purchase in any given year. They won't be granted full voting rights either. It won't have any effect on the larger decisions made by the brewery.

portwood likes this.
  3. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (3,353) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

Fits the brand. Is it that big a deal?

4. CanadianBacon

Makes sense not giving full voting rights and I actually kind of like the idea. I was just trying to look at it from both sides and curious what others thought. I was actually in the brewery a half hour ago and everyone seemed pretty happy.

5. DaveBar

DaveBar Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Canada (ON)

Non-preferred shares will be sold as sole ownership will retain all preferred shares which are the power. Non-preferred shares are not worth a dang in voting or making any decisions. Simply a move to generate capital. Seen this before! Watch "ownership" is about to enjoy 181 days per year in Florida! LOL

dabeerbuddha and CanadianBacon like this.
  6. CanadianBacon

May not happen right away, with only 5% sold the first year but 10 years in that may be the situation. Guess time will tell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.