Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer and cooking

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Ant7780, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ant7780

Ant7780 Dec 2, 2012 Michigan

I have 2 related topics for discussions:
    1. What do you like to drink while you are preparing/cooking food. For example I am sipping a 2013 Bigfoot while making a (mostly) from scratch pizza. Something about the sharp, hoppy flavor of the beer goes well with the tangy zing of the tomato sauce. Also it helps whet my appetite and makes the pizza taste that much better when it's time to eat
    2. Have you ever cooked with beer? If so, what beer did you use and what did you make?

2. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I like to drink whatever's in my fridge when I cook. I don't pay much attention to pairing beer with preparation.
    I cook with beer a lot. I make a lot of chilis and stews. The choice of beer depends on what the ingredients are.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  3. Ant7780

Do you usually use dark/red beers? Or have you ever cooked with a pale ale/IPA/barleywine etc?

4. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

If you try it let me know how it turns out and what you cooked it with. Stouts and barleywines have alot of flavor so I'm guessing it'll be ether really good or over power whatever your cooking and be bad.

5. Flight0011

Flight0011 Jan 8, 2013 Washington

Cooking with beer, Im sure many of us have done a beer-can-chicken. I have found a way to incorporate a beer into alot of what I cook, here are just a few examples;
    Pauliner - beer battered fish
    Alaskan Amber - beer brats & chicken fried steak
    I also use alot of my home brews or what ever is on hand for beer battered chicken, beer braised beef pot roast, red hook & jack D's BBQ sauce, I even cook up my taco meat with a little bit of beer to spread the seasonings.

Beer just makes everything taste better.

6. BlackDragon

I mostly drink stout have you cooked anything with stout and howd it turn out?

7. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Usually dark beers. Have made a chili with an IPA that turned out well. Have never tried a barleywine.

8. StarRanger

StarRanger Nov 27, 2006 North Dakota

The basic rule is don't use hoppy/bitter beers if what you add it to will be reduced, ie boiled off. The bitterness will be more concentrated and can cause problems. Thus sweeter maltier beers are better options when you want to add beer to something that will be boiled for a while before being consumed.

iwantmorehops likes this.
  9. smakawhat

smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

1) whatever I feel like, I always drink while I cook... ALWAYS... :)
    2) yes , numerous things, poaching, stews, moules frites... etc..

10. Ant7780

I'm definitely going to try an IPA chili.

11. Flight0011

I have used stouts with beef, chili and BBQ sauce. In a sence its kind of like cooking with wines, the lighter color and flavored beers go well with fish and white meats and the darks work well with the darker stronger flavored meats.

12. Kuaff

Kuaff Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

Here's what I did today:

[​IMG]

Sticky dough that didn't want to let go of my hand!

[​IMG]

It's Vortlimpa, a dark, somewhat sweet Swedish rye bread. The recipe I used called for two cups of stout or dark beer, so I did right and used Midnight Sun's very appropriate Moscow Russian Imperial Stout (appropriate because it's BREWED with rye!). It WAS hard to part with a pint of my precious Moscow, but at least I got to enjoy the last six ounces while I waited for the dough to rise...

[​IMG]

Very satisfying after hard work in the kitchen, hehe!

[​IMG]

The bread was just as fantastic as the beer. Cheers to good beer and good food!

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Those look like alligator heads. I would eat them.

alysmith4 likes this.
  14. beercanman

beercanman Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

I crock pot brats in guinness and then brown them on the grill. Always turns out good.

15. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Sep 25, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I almost always use beer in the crockpot when cooking a large piece of meat for a long time. We made a pork shoulder this week with a rock art smoked double porter, which isn't good for much else, its a very thin and brown/amber color lacking any porter character. My girlfriend made homemade potato rolls and mango jalapeno cold slaw, drinks were pretty varied around the table, but I had a Petrus aged pale which was good, but not as exciting with the fatty pork as I had been hoping.

Your first question is too hard to answer because I like to eat and drink pretty often, though I concur hoppy goodness and pizza go great!

16. Ant7780

17. Kuaff

Haha, yeah, they kinda do!

18. BlackDragon

Was it worth sacrificing the beer and would you make it again

19. Kuaff

Yeah, I'd definitely make it again. And it I think it WAS worth sacrificing the beer (I've still got a few more bottles left ;)). However, if I wanted to conserve my Moscow, I'd imagine other more common Russian Imperial Stouts like Old Rasputin would also work great for this kind of thing.

I think most recipes I've come across which call for beer (like this one I made) assume people will just use some standard, common beer like Guinness, so using ANY tasty RIS, Double Stout, or other craft beer will probably take recipes like this to another level!

20. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

It has been my experience that cooking with beer is often a waste of beer. I've read articles as well as posts in this forum from many people that I trust that cooking with beer often adds little to no flavor to what is being cooked, e.g., beer can chicken is a myth --- the beer adds nothing to the juiciness and flavor of the chicken --- knowing how to grill the chicken is what makes it come out juicy, tender, and flavorful. Other examples --- brats boiled in beer actually causes flavor loss, beer-battered fish can be accomplished with soda water or ginger ale, etc. When I weigh the potential benefits of cooking with beer, I almost always decide drinking the beer while I cook is the better option.

Baking (bread, cupcakes, etc.) with beer on the other hand is different. In these instances, the flavor of the beer is not usually cooked or boiled away.

21. Flight0011

I would beg to differ, saying that cooking with beer adds absolutely nothing is untrue, it just means you are using the wrong beer. If you poach a chicken breast in water and poach one in a nice ale you will have one with flavor and one with out. The flavor will change and mellow out as it cooks but if your palate is refined enough you can taste the subtle flavors that beer adds.

JrGtr likes this.
  22. Moose90

Moose90 Nov 25, 2012 Washington
    Beer Trader

1 – I like something light and refreshing. A nice IPA when outside grilling, or a german hefe while prepping a meal is always nice. Gets the taste buds going for me.

2 – Cook with beer when I get the chance, but don't get to cook from home as much as I would like to.

23. BuckeyeOne

Point well taken. I guess, when I weigh the 'subtle flavors that beer adds' to food vs. drinking the beer, I will choose almost always to drink the beer.

And, to be clear, I stated that beer adds absolutely nothing to the juiciness and flavor of 'beer can chicken.' I never stated that it adds absolutely nothing to cooked food as a whole --- I did say it added little to nothing. 'Subtle' I equate to 'little' especially compared to the enjoyment I would get out of drinking the beer.

24. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Feb 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Can you message me the recipe by chance - would love to make this. Looks a little like the Outback bread which is pretty good itself.

25. Devi0us

Devi0us May 3, 2011 California

I made some pot roast last week with those pre-mixed McCormick packages. Directions call for a cup of water. I added a half bottle of BCBS and drank the other half...made it around midnight before I went to bed and woke up to something phenomenal for lunch...

[​IMG]

Cheers!

26. Flight0011

Lastnight I did an IPA Potroast, it was amazing! Ofcoarse I would have rather drank the IPA but it was opened one night and forgotton about :( so the next morning I couldnt let it go to waste :)

27. Ant7780

Just made my first bread with Fat Tire. It was pretty good. I look forward to trying it with different beers.

28. Rowena

Rowena Mar 16, 2013 Virginia

For St. Patricks Day I made Beef Brisket with Founders Breakfast Stout. All I added was a couple cups of water, 3 cloves of garlic and some Montreal seasoning. I made it in the crock pot, cooking it on low for 6-8 hours. It was fantastic.

29. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

The other night I braised a chuck roast in Uinta Baba Black Lager; it turned out really good. After browning the meat in my dutch oven I threw in in sliced onion, chopped garlic, 2 bottles of Baba Black Lager, some cut up carrots and celery, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and a bay leaf. I let it go for 3.5 hours at 350 degrees.

30. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Feb 16, 2012 Texas

When I smoke a brisket I will marinate it with salt, pepper, bbq sauce(home made of course), and Shiner. I know Shiner isn't a great beer but it pairs well with this Texas staple. Throw in some onions in your marinade and peppers (if you want spice that is). Amazing recipe. I have found that if you do not make your own BBQ sauce than try the Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce in this marinade.

Flight0011 likes this.
  31. Hdredfern

can i also have that recipe?!!? PLEASE!

32. BuckeyeOne

You marinate a brisket before you smoke it and you tell your Texan friends you do such a thing? Dry rub. Period.

33. Hdredfern

I never claimed to be a traditionalist, just some one who loves great flavor

Hockey_Fan and BuckeyeOne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe