Beer and diet

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mrcsbud2, Mar 10, 2018.

1. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (632) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

My wife and I have been through all kinds of fad diets over the past few years. As many have mentioned in this thread, you have to find something sustainable for your life preferences that you can stick to long term. You can do a Keto diet hardcore for a couple weeks and drop weight but as soon as you go back to your norm you’ll put that weight back on so it’s pointless.

What I’ve acknowledged is I am not going to stop drinking craft beer so that has to work in my plan long term. I’m willing to sacrifice other things but not craft beer. What I eventually found that works is just the tried and true formula of calories in vs calories out. It’s simple to understand and it consistently works. I don’t want to put the effort in making the sacrifices and then step on the scale baffled and frustrated it isn’t working.

Find a good calorie tracking app. I use My Fitness Pal. Set it up with a reasonable weight loss goal and then track it religiously. It will work. I lost 15 pounds, which was my target, this summer following this. A few things I’ve realized:

Diet is way more important than exercise in losing weight: I have wrongly assumed for a long time that if I just go for that 6 mile run or 20 mile bike ride, I will lose weight as long as I don’t eat and drink like a maniac. Wrong. I actually find it easiest to lose weight during the work week by not exercising and just keeping calorie intake low. My go to move is to basically replace dinner with drinking beer. I stop eating around 4:30 or 5pm. I then come home from work and have two-ish beers in place of dinner. I find I don’t go to bed hungry and this is pretty easy to do. On weekends I exercise to help offset the fact I’m going to drink heavily and intake a lot of extra calories. A 700 - 800 calorie burning workout is great on a Saturday but realistically drinking 5ish high abv beers is going to crush through that so the weekends are mostly to maintain weight and the workweek is to try to lose pounds.

Primarily eat packaged foods with nutrition facts: this thanksgiving I put back on 5 pounds. I was perplexed by it as I worked out hard every single day, but again it’s back to diet as I ate and drank a lot that easily by magnitude was more than my exercising. The reason my diet suffered is eating those home made mash potatoes, stuffing, turkey, etc is really hard to accurately count calories on. The serving size is hard to know and likewise how calories are in the dish. I used to love eating homemade leftovers. Now I throw that shit away. Can’t know what is in it or how to count those calories. I like to stock up on salads, wraps and soups from Trader Joe’s or Sprouts at start of each work week and then I can meticulously count calories.

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

In-N-Out lost me with their Las Vegas location. I spent $17 for a mediocre burger and okay fries and was hungry within an hour. It tarnished my opinion of them enough that I'd be hesitant to return for a visit, even if I was out in California.

I suppose that Las Vegas location is raking in money (just based on the lines), but it burned me as a potential future customer.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Lots of great points. Key is to make changes for your lifetime, not just means to hit a goal.

Per exercise quote in bold: problem with this is your body now craves more food after exercising. It's a natural response, but makes it tricky for people to realize they're still netting out the same calories in/calories out as before. To this point, we actually see a lot of local runners gain weight when they're training for their first marathon. While they're doing higher mileage and longer long runs than they may have ever done, they're eating lots of poor choices to compensate for the caloric deficit. When you're craving a second lunch, it's easy to cave and buy a cheap/quick snack to fuel your training - but it may push your calories in/calories out balance into the positive.

I've tried training cycles not drinking and drinking, and felt much more comfortable (and maintained a healthy training weight) with the beer drinking plan. The trick, for me at least, was to ensure I still hydrated while drinking beer and that I didn't drink too close to bedtime (changes sleep patterns resulting in less recovery between training sessions). There's also a lot to be said for making changes for results, and keeping some habits for happiness.

To your note about My Fitness Pal, it is tough to track homemade meals. When I log nutrition, I tend to log each scoop of a particular ingredient. It's very tedious, and thankfully I'm not tracking all year, but it gives me a very in-depth snapshot look at how my home cooking is stacking up to my nutrition needs. I've found many of the available recipes on there have some pretty wild nutritional numbers, to the point I don't always trust them to track things like sodium. Plus, it helps that I have a handful of go-to meals I prepare and don't usually stray too far away from those.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Cheers.

MonkeyBread likes this.
  4. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (889) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

One can lose weight and drink beer. You just have to exercise and show self control. Also, the overall key, moderation. I dropped 35 lbs in 2 years after my 3rd child was born. I haven’t gained it back and I drink beer.

5. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I have a tendency to gain weight easy, so the approach I have taken (year-round) is to not drink Monday through Thursday, and do as I please on the weekend....but I will say, I never reach for 300-400 calorie beers. I love beer, but being a fat-ass is just not something I would consider. I'm in good shape for my age (45) - but not in amazing shape

6. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (430) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Calories in/out is a good guide but this all depends on what you are doing e.g. I work out to not only lose weight but to gain strength so will need some fuel for that. Also, I think people can sometimes lose sight of calories you burn just by living and digesting a meal burns about 300 calories; it's easy to count calories burned during activity but just living can add up to your benefit too and if you're not sedentary.

I have always been active and was one of those people who thought eh, I work out a lot so I can do whatever. But as I got older this proved not to be the case and I gained some weight. I made a lot of adjustments but a few stubborn pounds just would not budge until I quit beer for a month, they moved after that.

I'm more careful with beer now and lately it's been the higher ABV beers due to the time of year so I try to have just one and that's it or if it's a weekend one and then a low ABV beer and that's it. I only drink a few days a week and some weeks on only one day and have also gone without whenever the mood strikes. Also, I am very careful with what I eat if I get hungry while drinking.

Over Thanksgiving I did have about five beers over the course of the day and I definitely felt that.

Everything matters, I have found: food choices, beer choices (old-school IPAs can do a number on me so I have to be careful) and the wrong choice can make me feel ugh for a day+. I do feel and look so much better and now I look back at my beer drinking from a few years ago and not sure how I was able to do that, for me it was definitely way too much. It's also nice not spending as much money and having beers in my fridge last so much longer.

ChicagoJ, BillAfromSoCal and Hamme like this.
  7. Hamme

Hamme Initiate (98) Oct 28, 2013 Netherlands

Allow me to bump this still very relevant thread.

Since gyms were closed for a long time and then opened with so many rules, i have been working out at home and outside since this summer. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridas i do a hundred push ups in the morning divided over four sets (30/30/30/10). I am working towards three (33/33/33) sets and then two until i can press out a hundred push ups in one go. But it's hard to get there for me, maybe i'll never be able this way. Perhaps i should add weigh to the push ups instead of going this route.
    Then later in the morning when i am with my dog in the park, i do 25 supported pull ups with a band of 35 kg elasticity at the basketball court. Unsupported i can do 3-4 pull ups and with this band i can press out five per set. The pull ups i just picked up this week again and i really have to get into this extreme hard exercise again. Tuesdays and Thursdays i do side raises with dumbbells 13 reps x 5 sets x 20 kg. And military press with the same dumbbells and added weight 13-14 reps x 5 sets x 30 kg. The moobs have decreased some more but there is room for progress so i'll just continue with these routines that i strongly believe in.
    And in between i walk and bike a lot with my Dutch Sheppard dog.

I still drink a lot of beer, mostly pints, one during the day and more nearly every night. And believe it or not: i am still losing weight and many people said so. But i don't think it's merely due to my active lifestyle. Like others have mentioned in this topic: losing weight is all about calorie intake. And if you like me, like beer and food, in order to lose weight on the long term, finding a lifestyle that suits you is more important than hitting the gym. You cannot pig out and drink lots of beer at the same time and expect to burn those extra calories in the gym. To lose weight and drink choices have to be made.

Don't drink and eat to keep that ass from gaining.

8. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (890) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

First, Good for you! You should be proud of yourself.

Second, and I can't stress this enough...as others have said, my vice is definitely when I drink a little too much with a not-full-enough stomach. I end up just kind of pigging out on anything/everything, and more often than not (especially if I am traveling), that ends up being chips or a too-late meal (which I never would have eaten if I had just stopped drinking and gone to bed. But...work functions. You have to go out when traveling for work.) I've been working hard to try to correct this, but it's a real tough one for me. Took me awhile to really realize how much damage it was doing.

ChicagoJ, Junior, Hamme and 3 others like this.
  9. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Zealot (539) Aug 24, 2020 California

I went from 170 lbs Jan1 to 154.6 today, basically the same as my college wt 40 yrs ago. I eliminated nothing but reduced the beer to a few a week from at least 1 a day and i reduced carbs like bread and pasta and reduced chips. I also started walking a lot more and a lot faster and do about 7-8 hrs of aggressive pickleball a week. It is all about reducing calories (i do not count calories but i know what foods typically are higher calorie than others) and increasing metabolism. My sister the registered dietician says so. Temporary diets won't get long term changes. It is all about lifestyle and choices.

#290 BillAfromSoCal, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  10. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,416) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

I may have posted this before, but I always offer the sage advice of the Germans: If you gain weight from drinking beer then eat less.

11. Junior

Junior Champion (851) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Great job. Just a tip if you want to get to a 100 pushups quicker. Try to max out once a week, see how many you can do in one set. Then do another set of 20-25. On another night do 4 sets of 30 or five sets of 25. Add a set as you get closer to your goal. Mix things up to see faster gains.

12. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Having skimmed through the thread, and read more carefully the more recent ones. it does come down to limiting intake and accounting for it.
    I'm not on a specific diet right now though since quarantine started, I've been running more, and I've dropped about 10 pounds, without drastic changes in my diet. I'm eating a bit less processed deli meat - that's whta I usually brought for lunch at work, and such.
    I've known a lot of people on the Weight Watchers plan (WW, now) and one thing I like about that is that you still eat whatever you want, you just have to account for it in your daily points allotment. You're probably not going to drink a 4-pack of tallboy RISs, I have no idea what the point counts there would be. but then, if you do that regularly, there's more issues at hand.
    Another way is to just cut down on the high-calorie foods - take a week off beer, or processed carbs. Don't eat fast food as much - or wings, pizza etc. Go for a salad with grilled chicken for lunch. It's amazing how relatively small changes can add up.

ChicagoJ and Hamme like this.
  13. Hamme

Thanks for the tips! I am maxing out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, when I do 30/30/30/10. Now i am working towards 33/33/33 so i can skip a set. You think i am pushing myself too hard this way? Doing 25/25/25/25 to mix it up sounds like a good plan, since i find 30/30/30 so freaking hard it will be almost as taking a day off!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  14. Hamme

Thank you!
    That sounds familiar to me and to prevent myself from pigging out, i never have chips and other greasy stuff in the house anymore because i ate way too much of that junk.

Nowadays i eat four slices of whole grain bread from the bakery store at night, so it's easier to withstand the urge to eat when i drink a few pints.

ChicagoJ and Beer_Economicus like this.
  15. Hamme

Love that advice! Drinking less would of course be a sin! Cheers! :grinning:

ManBearPat and Junior like this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I've found that denying myself works...until I have it again. Then I can go a little overboard. Not necessarily in terms of something like gorging, but in terms of eating it more frequently once I have it again. I've found that (for me) what works much better is:
    • Try to only eat a single serving of chips, and to do so, take them out of the bag before consuming.
    • Never eat chips as a snack. Chips can only be eaten with a meal (.e.g. sandwhich + chips).
    • Never eat sweet/unhealthy things as a snack. Save for after dinner, when I want something anyway.

As some may recall from one of my first posts in this thread, I really need something sweet. That can be 3 little chocolate chips. It might only be 10 calories. But I need something. Does it have to be every day? No. But if I eliminate it, then when the occasion comes around that I can have, say, a slice of cake, and it's 800 calories, I'll do it. Again, the problem becomes that I can have these too consistently then, as is the case (usually, although maybe not this year) during the holidays.

As I recall, research says that if you are expending a lot of cognitive energy, your body tends to desire more sweet food, whereas if you are just working hard (physically), you may crave more fatty/salty/unhealthy food. They say that satisfying those urges - even with something as small as 3 chocolate chips, is a good thing.

ChicagoJ, Hamme and Junior like this.
  17. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,535) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Agree with other advice. Max out pushups one day out of every 10 or so. Do 50, then follow with sets of 20 until you hit 100 total.

The max out will stress your muscle more and cause for quicker strength gains. I used this approach and can do 100 at a clip. Im up to doing about 280 on a given day doing sets of between 70 and 85 reps.

try for 45 or 50 as a first set...it will be hard for sure, then rest and repeat 15 or 20 reps a few times. You can get there.

Keep up the good work!

ChicagoJ and Hamme like this.
  18. Hamme

Totally denying the urge doesn't work for me neither but i prefer beer over sweets so i choose one or the other. And i only drink in the evening. During the day no more then one beer. Then i allow myself to eat greasy stuff one evening in a week and have only a light meal that day. Furthermore i eat a few pieces of chocolate with my coffee every day.

And no i am not skinny, but i am certainly not fat. If i wanted to be skinny i'd need to deny myself all the time and that wouldn't work.

19. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,102) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Funny to read this today, exactly one year since I had serious health problems, and since then a complete change of lifestyle. I had to stop eating and drinking the things that were causing/contributing to my multiple health problems .I have taken off almost fifty pounds, down from 195 to 148.

I ate very badly, but always have been active, though later in life I couldn't and still can't do the skiing, rock scrambling, and off trail mountain biking I loved, and settled for my other less aerobic hobbies glad to say I still can do with no problem.

I tried in past to take off weight by eating less and better, but not stopping beer, and weight came off grudgingly. If I took off ten pounds after serious dieting regimen I was lucky. And when I went off the diet I gained back even more than I lost. I told myself it was because of my age, that getting older makes weight loss harder. Beer was the problem. I know this now. Oh sure the unhealthy foods caused much damage, and some of the gain, but as far as being overweight I now know it was the beer that was the main culprit.

Fucking amazing how our favorite beverage puts the pounds on, and almost as amazing how the pounds come off when you stop drinking beer completely (and do the other healthy things). I am nearly vegan now and nearing 70 YOA so I guess vegan diet will be forever, but I am planning to have the occasional beer now that my health has improved.

All y'all taking your diet and health seriously at younger ages, good job, keep it up, I wish I would have taken it more seriously MANY years ago. Cheers!

Hophazzard, DBosco, Cashbail and 18 others like this.
  20. Beer_Economicus

Trader

It's funny that you said this - something I realized (after posting) that I forgot to post is that I have also moved to making myself choose: I can either have an alcoholic beverage, or sweets in a day, but not both. It's an either or, not and. Also, I try very hard to limit my alcohol consumption to only two days a week. The past week or two that hasn't really happened, since I've been up late working, but I've tried to limit it still to 2 beers, and then a few sips of whiskey. I almost always pour 1/2oz pours, so enjoying 1/2oz of whiskey over 2 hours is just fine for me, and doesn't add much to the calorie count.

We just had a baby, so trying to say, "we'll only eat X type of food once a week" is tough. That type of diet kinda goes out the window with a 7 month old. BUT, we generally eat very healthy, and don't ever really fry anything. I mean, sure there's some oil in a pan, but that's very different than fries, or country fried steak, etc. We eat those so rarely anymore - just trying to do better overall.

Hamme and ChicagoJ like this.
  21. Chipotle

Chipotle Aspirant (204) Apr 23, 2017 New York

I had to eliminate beer (along with a myriad of other enjoyable foods and beverages) for health reasons. After a year I decided to allow myself a couple beers a week.

I lost a lot of weight from the diet change and I'm trying to gain weight now. Of course all gains seem to gravitate to my stomach area.

One thing I remember reading is that calories from alcohol aren't stored in the body but get used up causing the other calories to be stored as fat.

ChicagoJ and cavedave like this.
  22. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,850) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Aristotle's Golden Mean comes into play. On most days, I'll have a morning beer and one with a meal, perhaps 1 or 2 more if I am socializing or visiting a bar or 1-2 breweries.

Gone are the days of drinking several, including Vegas drink beer sun-up/down and whiskey all night. Eating better as well, walking a lot but want and need to put in muscle work including the push-ups and other exercises mentioned.

Lost a lot of weight over the past year, mostly by eating well / cooking at home. I want to get down to high school junior year weight, will settle on high school senior year weight if that what works best.

Cheers to those who are looking to improve themselves by any means (eating, drinking, exercising, reading, etc.). Life is journey, continue to learn and grow and it will be fun. You're never too old to do something new, or return to something good.

23. BillAfromSoCal

So I recently went on medication a couple days a week that is incompatible with normal alcohol consumption, so I started looking at the NA beers as al alternative to the myriad flavored waters that are available. Check out Run Wild NA IPA from Athletic Brewing Co. It is ranked #1 on BA for NA beers and it is not only quite good, but it is only 70 calories. That, to me, is a huge calorie vs. beer-ish experience benefit. When I drink those I don't even miss the real beers....much...at all. And I totally agree that when my regular beer intake increases, so does my weight.

24. Hamme

Choosing is better then denying. It was this mind state that caused me to seriously lose weight. When we deny ourselves we become our own enemy and i strongly believe that denial causes us eventually to consume even more then before. So we choose and are happy with our little sweet, weather it be a pint or a cookie.
    Congratulations with the new born! The baby should help burn of some fat here and there! :slight_smile:

25. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (656) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Yes, I think NA beers tend to have fewer calories, as the alcohol isn't there. But there still are quite a few of the calories, so drinking water once in a while isn't bad...:slight_smile:

Shanex likes this.
  26. BillAfromSoCal

oh, fo rsure. My point was some of the great NAs are good substitutes for real beer (often in the >200 calorie range) for those occasions when a beer seems best, like at happy hour or with dinner. The rest of the time I am powering down waters at zero calories. Note that some of the NA beers still come in over 100 calories, but Run Wild is amazingly good at 70.

beer_beer and Beer_Economicus like this.
  27. beer_beer

Society

I'm dieting a bit myself, but have decided that this time around the (NA) beer will stay. Somebody said: just eat less :grin:. When I lost weight a bit more seriously a couple of years ago my beers grew old in the fridge. A good thing with NA is you may have greater flexibility, as the alcohol is not there "calling for you".

28. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (785) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

My doctor told me a few years ago to "eat less" rather than recommending a diet and it has worked great. Down about 25 pounds and back to my college weight.

The key for me has been cutting out snacks almost completely, in addition to portion control. More or less 3 reasonable meals per day, with room for cheating a bit on the weekends. I really haven't cut my beer consumption much. Recently, I've actually been drinking a little bit more and still maintaining my weight.

Make it a lifestyle chamge as opposed to a "diet"!

29. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I feel like I keep adding, saying "I forgot this too!" But it is true. For both my wife and I, this is a pretty big one. We both grew up "grazing," and when we met each other and we were young, we always grazed. This is actually harder for my wife than it is for me. If I am busy working, I can go a very long time without eating, and snacking isn't too big of a problem for me. BUT, If I didn't make an effort to control snacking, it would be. It's just not nearly as hard of a problem to correct, as say, eating chips (for me).

I know some people get around this by only eating healthy snacks (like munching on carrots all day), and I just can't do it. I don't have anything "healthy" like carrots, that have relatively few calories, that I like enough to just munch on all day. Carrots, when raw, are boring as all get out. I'd rather just eat nothing.

On that note, early on in my weight loss journey, I had to make a decision about using "low cal" options or avoiding altogether. I've picked and chosen. I'd rather use great butter and use the amount I want, or just not eat the food at all. I can do "light" sourcream. I've never been a soda person (at least not since a kid), but if I have a soda, it will certainly be a regular. I used to do "light" mayonaise, but then I discovered Sir Kensington - and that stuff is the best, and I'd rather cut calories someplace else than ever go back. In general, I've found that using "light" pretty much never works for me, and instead, reducing intake or avoiding altogether works much better. A good example of this is baked potatoes. It's easy to add a ton of calories with butter on one. A better alternative, for me, is to eat a much smaller portion, and eat more vegetables at that meal. What I can't do is limit the butter and sour-cream; doing that makes me feel unsatisfied; but limiting portion reduces satisfaction by only a smidge.

ESHBG, ChicagoJ, RobertB412 and 2 others like this.
  30. beer_beer

Society

Very much so. I'd say my main life style change is including a lot of vegetables. They fill up more than they give calories.

31. Hamme

Absolutely and well done!

Your approach is basically mine too. Three meals a day and i weigh what i eat. No processed food but fresh ingredients and hardly any snacks. After a while you get used to not snacking and losing weight also helps against the craving. I've come to the point that i only drink a couple of pints every night and don't even think about food while drinking. Something i imagined impossible back when i was overweight.

Diets don't work because when you are 'on' a diet it implies you will be off again too. Indeed you have to make it a lifestyle to make it work!

32. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,284) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I've cut way back on beer, have always eaten well, and we walk between 4-7 miles a day. I'm at 6'3" and 210 lbs. just over my college basketball weight. I had been 230 lbs. I'll be 70 in May.

33. Hamme

I don't focus on weight too much but more on resistance training. Nowadays i work out at home and have a schedule that i follow. Mo/We/Fri push ups and pull ups (supported with a 35 kg band) 5 x 5 and trying to increase reps and decrease sets until i can do about ten unsupported.

Tu/Thu overhead press 13 reps x 5 sets x 30 kg side raises 13/5/15 kg and 30/5/30 kg squads all with dumbbells.

Besides that i walk and bike a lot because i have a dog. My main focus is to get a tighter chest and lose that belly fat. I've lost quite a lot, might even consider surgery skin removal.

34. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Poo-Bah (1,776) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Eat less.
    Eat all the leafy green vegetables you want.
    Fish, a piece as big as your hand.
    Rice. Brown. One scoop.
    Fast. It takes discipline, but going without eating is very healthy, you can easily survive on beer for 24 hours and your body will thank you. Think of it as The Trappist Monk Diet.
    Cheers!

35. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (469) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’ve been having soup for lunch for 20 years along w low (but high protein/low carb) caloric intake for most of the day. Works like a charm once u get used to it. Agree. It’s all about the calories.

36. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (1,981) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I have limited myself to 3 or 4 beers a week and I'm currently limiting my daily carbs through Atkins products. I eat a bar or shake for breakfast, a yogurt mid morning, either a Atkins meal or can of soup for lunch a bar mid afternoon if I feel the need. For dinner we have been eatting a portion controlled meal of protein green leaf and tomatoes and a vegetable. At night I have a snack sometimes of popcorn, a skinny cow ice cream or an Atkins sweet( which are pretty frigg'in good). It's doable for me so far and I haven't really been starving. I've lost about 20 lbs in about 7 weeks. Granted I have a a lot to lose so these are the easy pounds. I limit myself to maybe 4 beers on the weekend.
    The best formula is calories in and calories out, eat less calories then you burn and you do fine. Cheers.

37. Hamme

Even though i agree that weight loss all about burning more calories then you eat, i don't believe light products are the most ideal long term solution. When choosing light products you basically say to yourself that you rather scrimp on quality then on quantity. But it's temporary, you can't eat Atkins all the time so you pick up your old habits and gain more weight then you lost.

What has worked for others as they wrote in this topic and for me is scrimping on quantity and not quality! This way you change your lifestyle and in the long term you lose weight without cheating yourself.

Beer_Economicus, ChicagoJ and mickyge like this.
  38. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (1,981) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I don't feel I'm scrimping on quality just on carbs. I think using Atkins or slim fast or nutri system as a tool not a total replacement can work well. I agree you can't eat that stuff forever. I have a great meal every night.
    Over the past 10 or so years I've done Weight Watchers 3 times and lost an average of 50 lbs a whack every time. Their diet isn't sustainable either forever.
    I love to cook and I love to eat even more, I'm dealing with a eat when I'm not hungry because it's there issue. The meal replacement products seem to have curbed my appetite a bit, time will tell
    Here is 2 of the dinners I made that we typically eat for dinner every night, doesn't look like we've scrimped on quality. Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

steveh, IKR, DBosco and 7 others like this.
  39. Hamme

I stand corrected, cheers!

Beer_Economicus and mickyge like this.