Beer and Dungeons & Dragons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jbuitron, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (66) Sep 11, 2015 Illinois

Just wondering if anyone else is a D&D player AND beer drinker? I’ve developed a campaign that includes taverns/bars in towns that are named after my favorite breweries. I’ve tried to get groups together where we play and enjoy some beer from a particular brewery but my current group does not include many craft beer drinkers and my teenage son and his friends are too young to partake.

Has anyone else tried to tie craft beer to D&D or any other role playing games? If so how did you get started? And most importantly any ideas for connecting campaigns with craft beer?

2. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (252) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I'm currently part of two games (Mondays and Saturdays), player in both as I'd be an awful DM lol
    They're both pretty RP heavy as far as style of play goes so I do have a few but definitely try not to drink to the point where I can't play my character well. It's generally a BYOB situation and not everyone drinks what I do but a couple do so usually we'll just end up sharing what we bring. Sometimes we'll do wine, but I've learned the hard way to stay away from liquor at D&D:flushed:

3. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

I always have a couple and share some Homebrew at our games. Check out Vormestrands Scroll, an adventure centered around a brewery.

4. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (699) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Ah, the trite intro to olden DnD campaigns:

"So, the four of you meet up in a tavern..."

5. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Disciple (337) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

I don't have a consistent playgroup any more, but when I do play, whether running the game or playing a PC there will always be refreshment available. I am a sucker for theming my beers to gaming sessions. If we were running, say, a seafaring/ocean campaign I'd pick up some Heavy Seas or FairWinds. Otherwise just keep it light/sessionable for the long haul.

kemoarps likes this.
  6. Jbuitron

I Generally try and come up with something different and use their background to piece together something more interesting, similar to the show Critical Role on Twitch. But it seems most groups always end up in a tavern. But to keep it interesting (at least for me) the tavern can be called 3 Floyd’s run by rough and tumble dwarves who like to serve Darklord and Zombie Dust to their patrons.

7. Jbuitron

The campaign world I’ve developed/am developing is centered around an area of the world called the Ale Region which produces highly sought after beers. Initially I thought each town would be represented by a brewery. When the characters enter the town of Perennial the local pub will have Abraxas on draft and we can all enjoy some Abraxas while we play out the game (or any other beers from Perennial).

I’ve also tried to run a session where the small towns revolt against the kingdom due to the fact that the king has passed a law that only his beer can be brewed and no others. The characters get caught up in a brewery war and after the characters defend different breweries from the evil king they celebrate with a few beers from that particular brewery. And that’s what we do at the end of the session, bring out a nice bottle from the particular brewery.

Using real life breweries has been fun but I’m wondering if there are any aptly named breweries that might be interesting to use in my D&D world?

8. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,962) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

There is a brewery in these parts that seems into this. They use one of the odd dice as their logo and have game nights at the brewery.

9. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (2,312) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

I play biweekly and am generally sure to bring along whatever I happen to have picked up recently usually Fremont or Bale Breaker or something similar and local. We've got one dude who usually brings one of those super big cans of Asahi (he works at a poke shop), and another guy who will occasionally bring something or will drink what I've brought, but a lot of the rest of the crew is more wine inclined.
    We're currently finishing up Dragon Heist, and our base of operations is an old rundown tavern. We got a little detoured from the storyline wanting to fix up the tavern and have gotten into a little bit of a rivalry with a fellow pub owner Nearing the end of the campaign the DM has asked if we want to continue these characters into new adventures or start over, and the overwhelming response was basically that we had to continue so we could get our tavern up and running and start producing reputable ales (the alchemist in our group and myself have taken a special interest in brewing, including getting all the appropriate paperwork and bureaucracy squared away).
    I'm rambling. Anyway, fun times. Beer and DnD are great together. And like Lenin says above, I get overly into trying to pair the themes of my beer with what I'm doing and that extends to my DnD sessions.

@Jbuitron , St Louis has a couple of options for beer/DnD crossover towns etc: From as simple as Schlafly sounding quite fantasy, to simple farming towns like Six Row or the neighbourhood jungle of The Grove to there's got to be a way to work Urban Chestnut into things using a druid society or something. Ferguson, Earthbound both could work in a fantasy setting in some way. Maybe the proprietor of one of hte joints is some fantasy version of Randall: Rand'll. Or the Rand Dell or something.
    Again. Rambling. Haven't slept. Right.
    I'm out.

zid, Jbuitron and JediMasterLenin like this.
  10. kemoarps

Society Trader

Also if folks are into the DnD podcasts/etc the Acq Inc guys (or at least Jerry) are big beer nerds. He's even got a homebrewing show on Twitch called Acquisitions Intoxicated. It's not perfect and can veer a bit, and their understanding of beer and brewing isn't always consistent with my understandings of the same items, and the later episodes have drifted somewhat more into a subgenre of beer nerd-dom that really doesn't appeal to me: the video review/drinking (of marketed beers. I can appreciate it more when they're tapping their own creations from previous batches), but they clearly look like they're having a ton of fun doing it and it's clearly a project of love for all involved.
    They've even partnered with local breweries/brew shops to host events etc (and even got one of the beers they made on the show brewed and canned! It wasn't half bad, even!), and several breweries (both well known and lesser known) watch and are active participants in the chat.
    They also approach their recipe construction from an interesting and as far as I can tell fairly unique angle. Hey in a world of pastry stouts and milkshake IPAs, why not?

alucard6679 and JediMasterLenin like this.
  11. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (70) May 25, 2019 Maryland

I havent done much DND but Medieval history is my life. I study Medieval Warfare and looking into getting into the SCA. Of course I love Ale, especially one that have a medieval feel to there label. I try to drink out of vessels that are atleast closer to period. Like a ceramic pint cup.

I have a Character for my story though and he is a Paladin. So im Sure DnD is something i could enjoy immensly. Ots just finding the time and people

Cheers!

May the Ale flow and the music please your heart.

12. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (10,288) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

I like the idea of a D&D full on beer campaign nights, maybe with flagons of mead, braggot and gruit, but the game nights I’ve been to have been simplistic games, like the most excellent card based gloom.

I just have visions of D20’s flying off never to be found and character sheets being beer soaked & totally illegible lol.

13. Stoutmaster9

Stoutmaster9 Disciple (306) Dec 30, 2016 California

Fun post! Sweet stroll down memory lane ... Had a tavern hex map fold out (two 8 1/2 x 11" by two), and figures including a stout bar man, apron-wearing while cleaning a mug, and a belly dancing maiden fair! Enjoyed with six packs of Brown and Red ale, if memory serves ...

kemoarps likes this.
  14. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (73) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

I play D&D and drink beer, but I've never tied the two together other than bringing beer for everyone to enjoy during the game.

kemoarps likes this.
  15. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (748) Mar 28, 2009 California

16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,083) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

kemoarps likes this.
  17. Jbuitron

this sounds like a very cool adventure.

18. Jbuitron

19. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (699) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Awaiting the stat build for the yeast golem, people!

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,083) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Re read my post. It never actually opened up. Which truly is a shame. There is a place called Grandmas House here in Denver that has ok beer, but serves it in glasses you would see in your grandparents china closet circa 1979, and has every olde tyme board game you can think of in addition to a busted up couch with an OG NES hooked up to one of those TVs that looks like furniture...

21. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,602) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I have a good friend in the Hartford CT area that has a regular D&D 5e game plus some board game nights and there is always good beer (between the kegerator, his homebrew, and bottle shares). Would actually seem out of place to *not* have quality craft beer at these get togethers at this point.

kemoarps and alucard6679 like this.
  22. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,736) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I just finished playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall and it really made me nostalgic for my old P&P sessions. I played lots of AD&D as well, along with plenty of other systems, but Shadowrun was probably always my favorite, almost makes me want to find a group again.

I wonder what kind of beers would fit in with that Cyberpunk setting nicely. I also remember us joking about how likely it was for that setting to become a reality back in the day and while we're way past the Awakening already, the political, capitalist system is indeed shifting closer and closer to the corporate dominated world of wage-slaves and SINless all the time...

kemoarps, socon67 and zid like this.
  23. jettjon

jettjon Meyvn (1,204) Jun 3, 2005 Florida

Not only do I drink craft and play D&D, one of my D&D buddies is the one who got me into craft beer around 2005. Also, my DM who is awesome cooks dinner AND ALSO buys various "interesting beers" for us to try during our games. Livin' the life here, I swear.

24. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Initiate (109) Dec 22, 2007 Arizona

yessir... often throw back a sixer of IPA over a day's campaign

25. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,211) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Nah, I wish. I bet it'd be a good combo.

I have played a lot of different RPG video games (including the Forgotten Realms games Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights), I dig fantasty novels... D&D used to interest me greatly, but as a complete newcomer/novice I have come to find it's a lot like poker: people who play it are usually diehards and don't have the time or patience to teach newcomers how to play. I know there are exceptions to this, it's just what I've come to find anecdotally from all of the geek acquaintances I've come across over the years.

26. Somajiahu

Somajiahu Aspirant (280) Dec 20, 2016 Virginia
    Society

All of these responses are so super awesome! I started gaming in 1976, a couple of years before I was legal to drink in MD. Fast forward 43 years and I was 45 before I actually had my first beer, but it was a craft beer and I was hooked.

In 2017, there was a nano brewery in Woodbridge, VA, called Heroic Aleworks, whose beers were all really good and their taproom was an homage to all things nerd, including the doors to the washrooms being painted to resemble Durin's Door (LotR) and the door to the TARDIS. All the beers had collectible trading cards included and gaming of all types was a thing happening all the time in the taproom. Alas, it went under after a year due to the owners divorcing.

In a private setting, I have played Cosmic Encounters while enjoying craft beer (and discussing it, too). I would love to get back into gaming, if the right DM/GM came along. Thanks for this thread and bringing back so many good memories!

27. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,602) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I'd go with either a malty Renraku Red, A Cascadian Black Ice IPA, or a nice German Dunkelzahn.......

kemoarps and Snowcrash000 like this.
  28. kemoarps

Society Trader

Somehow I figured that would be more your setting... :wink:

29. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,392) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

DnD seems too much to tackle too soon for the casual roleplayer. I'm holding out for an entry level game called Dungeons or Dragons...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.