Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

beer and liver sausage....?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by scruffwhor, Feb 23, 2013.

1. scruffwhor

Subscriber

Hello, BA folks.

I grew up eating liver sausage (leberwurst, Braunschweiger) my whole life. It's quite the comfort food for me! Thanks German ancenstry!

I was wondering if any other BA's share my fondness with this poor mans' liver pate`and what beer's seem to compliment it the best.

I like to schmeer my leberwurst on a "chicken in a bisket" cracker... sometimes with some sharp cheddar cheese. Then was it down with a crisp German pilsner or malty bock.

Let's here it!!

2. Andygirl

I will confess to liking it. I had it as a lunch meat as a kid and I still like it. Never paired it with a beer.

3. Hockey_Fan

I love a good liverwurst sandwich with red onion and whole grain mustard.

I think I'd go with a substantial German beer. Probably a Dunkel, a M├Ązen, or a Doppelbock.

4. grantcty

Count me as a braunschweiger lover as well! It's great with dunkel bock, but I think it would go well with most German styles. Since Maibock season is fast approaching, I think I'll have to try that combo.

OP: If you ever find yourself in Monroe, WI I'd recommend stopping at Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern for a Braunschweiger Sandwich and a Huber bock. If you're so inclined (or adventurous, crazy, etc ;)) , have the Limburger sandwich as well.

5. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

I have a chub of Hasmacher in my fridge right now.

Naturally, a German brew would match up well but I think a IPA works best. Especially if you are putting some charp cheddar on it

6. Providence

I have found that German force meat pairs well with a litre of Bitburger!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe