beer and pork butt

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by jriggins6, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriggins6

jriggins6 Disciple (366) May 18, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I plan on slow cooking a butt in the crock pot. Wanted to get some peoples opinions on types of beer that would be good. I have heard IPA's, well super hoppy IPA's are not a good choice.
    thank you

2. gory4d

gory4d Defender (662) Apr 14, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

I'd go with a bock beer, maybe a marzen. A dopplebock or a dunkel lager could work, too.

3. kecarl7

kecarl7 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2010 California

One of my favorite types of meat!

Crock pots are fantastic, but lately I've been really enjoying slow cooking my pork in the oven. It requires a little extra supervision, but it's worth it.

I've had a lot of success using Troegenator and Yuengling Bock.

4. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (587) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I put one in this morning with a can of Ten Fidy...will report back after dinner

ajtorres311 likes this.
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Are you seasoning your butt (heh) with anything? Putting it in some sort of liquid for the cook?
    Pork butt is extremely rich (lots of fat, I'm sure you know), so in my opinion, a nice crisp, rather light bodied beer to cut through that would be perfect. Victory Prima Pils, Bell's Smitten Rye...something along those lines. Unless you are really spicing this shoulder up.

6. LuisGueuzeman

LuisGueuzeman Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Oklahoma

pork butt... teehee

7. jriggins6

Beer Trader

I would like to know how that turns out!!!!

As far as spices a little chili powder, mustard seed, garlic powder and cloves, and some coriander. Only liquid I was going to use was beer.

8. chefjack428

chefjack428 Initiate (75) Nov 2, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I made some pulled pork last week. I rubbed it in brown sugar, coffee, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili flake, cumin and cinnamon. I covered in Sierra Nevada Ovila Quad w/ Plums and hit the 8 hour setting. It was great. I would stay away from anything hoppy, you will get a very bitter flavor in the pork and the left over cooking liquid will be garbage. Stick with something dark, sweet and sticky.

ajtorres311 likes this.
  9. HopNuggets

HopNuggets Disciple (306) Oct 8, 2009 Connecticut

I did that recently and it was amazing. Dry rubbed with McCormick pork rub and quite a bit of brown sugar and fridged over night and the next day. Sliced a whole onion on the bottom of the crockpot, put the 7-1/2# shoulder in, sliced a whole onion on top of it, pour 2 cans of Coke around it. Cover and cooked on high for an hour or two and then put it on low for 10 hours over night. Woke up to an amazing smelling house. Pulled the pork (really just fell apart), added a shot of bourbon and bbq sauce and let it cook on low all day until the Super Bowl! Served on potato rolls with cole slaw topping.

Anyways it would go good with anything you pair with it and will over shine many beers due to it's amazingness... ha-ha.

Etan likes this.
  10. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aspirant (245) Jul 12, 2012 California

after ruining some pork chops a couple weeks ago, i'll never use anything hoppy for cooking again.

11. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (587) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The Ten Fidy turned out really nice. I did a dry rub and added the beer. Then strained the juice and made a sauce. It was on the spicy side but that's what I was going for. Can't wait to try this on the grill.

ajtorres311 and Coldsnack like this.
  12. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Disciple (335) Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

gory4d likes this.
  13. gory4d

gory4d Defender (662) Apr 14, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

That sounds perfect - will have to try it some time.

14. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

They have Cheerwine down there in Georgia yet? Pork + Cheerwine is where it's at. Beerwise, another vote for no hops. I've been using an overcarbonated porter that I brewed in some dishes lately with great success. It had coffee and cocoa nibs, and those flavors have been a great compliment to meat dishes. Venison stew with porter was lights out.

15. BSzucs

BSzucs Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 California

It kinda depends on your spice rub and BBQ sauce as well as the meat, IMO.

What'd you end up going with?

16. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Aspirant (206) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

i use a mexican lager, throw some onions, jalapenos and garlic in there, then add the dried chili's, Ancho, Guajillo and Chile Arbol. Then i cover and cook for 6 hours. Take the drippings and reduce to about 2 cups, add cumin, salt and sugar then burr mix it, strain and mix in with pulled pork. throw in between a fresh flour tortilla with fresh onions and cilantro top with queso cotija. YUM

17. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

I like to do a good rub on pork butt. Smoke it. Then put it in a pan. Add a couple bottles of porter. Cover in foil. And finish braising in the oven. It's outstanding.

sholle likes this.
  18. Talmage

Talmage Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2013 Massachusetts

I prefer to use a lager. I find that it does not create the level of bitterness that you get with an IPA or even a pale ale. Porters and Stouts can work well also.

19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (620) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

You could braise a pork butt in pretty much any beer and it be tasty. For pork, my best successes have been with scotch ales, brown ales, and smoke beers. There are lots of other spices, stocks etc you can add as you like, but just be sure to brown the meet some before braising.

20. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

Oh, and toss the crockpot in the trash and get a nice French oven from Staub or Le Creuset (or Lodge Lodgic even) They aren't cheap but do a great job and will last forever

21. Talmage

Talmage Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2013 Massachusetts

Le Creuset is what I use generally

evilcatfish likes this.
  22. jriggins6

Beer Trader

I ended up using a Double Bastard. It turned out pretty damn good.
    Looks like I am gonna invest into a French oven. Now whats the difference between a french and dutch oven?

23. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

Pretty much the same thing to my knowledge. Here's a link discussing it: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cookware/msg1208335114553.html

24. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (460) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I smoked a 10lb pork butt last weekend and my home brewed blonde ale went really well with it. Nice and light, very drinkable.

25. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (488) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

For pork butt do it right... get a smoker or a big green egg/big steel keg. Then enjoy you're favorite brews with it

26. humulus

humulus Initiate (0) May 19, 2013 Sweden

I like to highlight the sweetness of the pork with a good, fruity wheat beer. Always seems to do the trick for me.

27. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (135) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

I like a nice porter. Works well with the porky goodness.

28. chuckv

chuckv Disciple (370) Apr 19, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I like to use Bigfoot barley wine and then use pickling spices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.