Beer and premier league soccer(ie. Football)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by 4kbrianb, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 California

Any EPL fans in here? Chelsea is beating Tottenham tomorrow and wondering if anyone is planning a long lunch to grab a beer and watch the match. The olde ship in Santa Ana is the typical go to but I'm open to recommendations!

Justinsosmart likes this.
  2. MiScusi

MiScusi Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2005 California

My friend got me into EPL about 8 years ago, one of the things that really drew me in was that we could go to LB's Delirium Cafe and watch the games in the morning and drink a bunch of beer. Rarely catch games outside the confines of my home these days though.

3. 4kbrianb

Yep that's kind of what pulled me in. I was 22 and we had an excuse to wake up and drink beer in the morning haha. I picked a team in a few leagues and the rest is history. Luckily the mid week games start around 11:45 pacific time so it's easier.

4. ESCO138

ESCO138 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 California

Liverpool fan here....and yes I know 8th place. I hit up Legends on 2nd st during the weekday games, sometimes they have Sculpin on tap.

hiimrichie and NorCalAussie like this.
  5. MiScusi

When I moved to SD in '09 I used to love to catch the mid-day games at O'Brien's since I have lots of weekdays off. Have a grilled cheese, a couple Duets, then call it a day and head home for a nap. The good old days. Manchester United BTW.

6. MiScusi

BTW, USC alum here as well.

4kbrianb likes this.
  7. 4kbrianb

I have abunch Man U and Liverpool guys giving me advice, dammit! Haha awesome, thanks guys.

Typically I do olde ship and grab a boddingtons to keep it English haha. But I'm in sales so sometimes I'm in LBC. I do love legends and can live off their wings! I am thinking about seeing of provisions in orange will play the games and I'll just go watch there by myself.

Fight on! By the way. Love meeting fellow Trojans! #ftfo

8. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Initiate (107) Jun 30, 2009 California

Any way both teams can lose?:wink:

I used to watch games at the Ship but they don't really have any decent beer. For mid day games like tomorrow any place with good beer and a TV should do, as long as they have nbcsports or whatever the channel may be. The hard part is finding a place with good beer that opens early for the weekend matches.

vurt likes this.
  9. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (929) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Everton FC…..Tim Howard. Have been to 4 matches across the pond since 1999. No alcohol served at the matches. It's a trip seeing everybody coming out of the pubs all at once and going into the venues an hour before kickoff. All my mates in the UK hates and I mean hates ManU. And if you talk bad about their team they will let you know about it. Very serious about their football. Funny how most of my friends hate it and call it kickball. Looking forward to MLS Cup on Sunday.

10. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (120) Jan 11, 2010 California

The owners of The Harp in Ocean Beach are Chelsea fans, unfortunately (Arsenal and Barça, here), and they have a good tap list. If i wasn't leaving town, I'd be there tomorrow. We also get a good national team crowd, and it is a great beer neighborhood with Pizza Port, Raglan, Newport Pizza, Noodle House, and now Culture there.

And if anyone likes a casual pickup game, we play at the "indoor" field by the Y every Monday at 2. All skill levels welcome.

Zhiguli likes this.
  11. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (114) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

Sunderland AFC supporter here. I attended my first live EPL match at the Stadium of Light back in 2003 vs Chelsea, and have been in love ever since. I used to frequent the Olde Ship to catch matches as well, but it's been a while. I watch games mostly from home these days. Ha'way the lads!!

kmanjohnson and Sebowski like this.
  12. 4kbrianb

Stoked to see so many fans on here! And not just for one team too.

Looks like it's the ship for me tomorrow, I have a customer around the corner so I can make a "business" trip out of it haha.

The indoor at the Y? Are you by any chance referring to the one in Mission Viejo? If so I'm literally a couple miles away.

13. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (120) Jan 11, 2010 California

Should have specified. Point Loma Y

14. 4kbrianb

oh ok, I thought you were talking SD when I saw OB, but wasn't sure if you just commuted haha. sounds awesome regardless... trying to start playing again. I have boots collecting dust and kicking the ball around with other beer drinkers would help considering im not in the same shape I was 10 years ago haha.

15. mlbbest

mlbbest Initiate (0) May 2, 2009 California

I would be the tortured Spurs fan here, destined to a life of false hope and eternal disappointment, stuck in a never-ending and futile quest for a Champion's League spot. That trend will no doubt continue today.

NorCalAussie and 4kbrianb like this.
  16. Vegcore

Vegcore Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2014 California

The olde ship is cool, but I usually go to tustin brewery to watch any futbol games. Good food, and usually really great beer.

4kbrianb and j47paco like this.
  17. Iriepirate21

Iriepirate21 Initiate (0) May 2, 2012 California

Been a Manchester United guy for about 15 years. Now that they are owned by Americans, just makes sense too. FYI, I actually heard they are coming up with a new hop strain called Falcao's Flight.

18. Paccamacca

Paccamacca Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 California

I'm English, been living in Cali for 5 years. I'm a West Ham fan, born and bred, used to stand on the North Bank back in the good old days before all-seater stadiums. We're having a great season, riding high in 5th place. Not sure we can sustain it to get into Europe but I can dream....
    Don't watch the footy in bars over here but have all the sports channels and love that I can watch way more live games now than I ever could in London!

vurt, 4kbrianb and j47paco like this.
  19. NorCalAussie

NorCalAussie Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 California

Wow, didn't realize there where so many EPL fans on this site and I have traded with a couple of you too. I've been a Liverpool fan since I was about 5 when my older brother started following them. I managed to see a game at Anfield a few years back and it was amazing being there.

Two wins in a row, time to make it three against Sunderland this weekend!

4kbrianb likes this.
  20. 4kbrianb

Ya I expected to get a response or two, but not this many! Glad to see there are at least a handful of us! Nor cal huh? Where's a good place to watch some of the matches? I travel up north for work and am always looking for a good spot!

21. NorCalAussie

Street of London Pub in Sacramento is pretty good. I went there for a weekday game a couple of times but not sure what time they open on weekends. Churchill Arms in Fulsom is pretty good to and opens early on big occasion games like FA Cup. I don't go out and watch games all that often due to the early start times but I do follow the results closely.

22. 4kbrianb

Ya I usually only get to a pub to watch weekday champions league, FA cup or random EPL games. With two kids running around the mid week "working" lunch is my go to saving grace haha.

NorCalAussie likes this.
  23. kmanjohnson

kmanjohnson Champion (858) Mar 12, 2010 California

Not to diminish the overall shock of how many Premier League fans there are on the site, but I am so shocked to find another Sunderland fan, not just here, but in California.

j47paco and NorCalAussie like this.
  24. NorCalAussie

I know just how you feel, trying to watch a weekend game with two little boys racing around is an absolute waste of time. I just catch all the highlights I can. Weekday games and Champions league is my best chance at enjoying the football and a beer!

4kbrianb likes this.
  25. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

Aston Villa fan here, but like you guys mentioned most of my EPL games are watched in bed now. I do love how Champions League is at the perfect time here on the West coast. Beer, lunch and seeing Bayern knock out Arsenal makes my Wednesday.

26. 4kbrianb

Not a good morning for my Chelsea boys, that's for sure. Good luck to the rest of you! Blue is the colour!

27. KANE3

KANE3 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2012 California

Anyone here attending MLS Cup on sunday? I few buddies and I are have a bottle share pregame.

Cheers.

j47paco likes this.
  28. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (114) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

I'll be there. There's a few of us bringing some beers to share as well. Really looking forward to the game!

29. PlinyTheYoungest

I guess you have to root for another teams failures since there isn't much chance of Villa playing any Champions League football anytime soon... :wink:

But boy it was a rough morning for the gunners. I'm headed to a bottle share then Beachwood to improve my day.

Sebowski likes this.
  30. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

It might be soon. Lerner is going to sell them, all we need is the right Middle-Eastern Sheik to come along. And being kings of Europe once is still more than zero. Ironically it was against Bayern. That was all before my time though.

Ahh Beachwood, that place can make any day better.

PlinyTheYoungest likes this.
  31. 4kbrianb

I love being in long beach and "accidentally" planning my work meetings around a trip to beach wood. Hell, good idea... That might be what I do next week! Thanks for the idea

32. Vegcore

Vegcore Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2014 California

thats awesome, i got really drunk last sunday and on monday morning all the cheaper tickets were gone. Do you guys know if they show the game outside the stadium?

33. 4kbrianb

Bumping this thread because there's some good champions league this week. Anyone planning on going anywhere to watch tomorrow? Or anyone want to plan on going anywhere to watch?

NorCalAussie likes this.
  34. NorCalAussie

Nobody cares about tomorrow! The big clash is between European powerhouses of Liverpool and FC Basel.:rolling_eyes:
    How Liverpool can be doing this badly in a fairly easy group is a mystery to me. Fingers crossed they win today and start the knockout in better form than they have shown so far.

I will be watching live updates at my desk, can't get away today.

mlbbest and 4kbrianb like this.
  35. 4kbrianb

I'll give you that the Liverpool match is more interesting then my blues and sporting Lisbon.... It's boring up here at the top of table!

NorCalAussie likes this.
  36. NorCalAussie

It's a tough situation you are in but I am sure you will survive.

I just realized that I have a 4 pack of BCBS in my truck... Wonder if my buddy will miss one? and more importantly could I pass it off as coffee if I drank it at my desk while the game is on? Probably shouldn't:slight_frown:

37. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Gunners got Gala today

38. mlbbest

mlbbest Initiate (0) May 2, 2009 California

As long as they don't have to play Newcastle again, they should be fine.

39. 4kbrianb

Hell, I'm glad they lost. Get it out of the way now. Moving forward they don't have that monkey on their back and of rather a few losses happen in the middle of the season rather than in the spring against city that may cost us the title.

40. PlinyTheYoungest

Was a satisfying win today even with all the youngsters getting a go. Needed a few more to go in to top the group but oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.