Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Beer and salad -- beer and fish

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Rollmeaway2loadout, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Aspirant (286) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

I have been eating salads and fish for the past 4 months. I have been trying different beers . I need suggestions to go with these two.

2. Billolick

Billolick Poo-Bah (6,109) Dec 20, 2003 New York

Saison is always a place to start when considering food n beer pairings.....Hennepin is great with all sorts of food

3. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Meyvn (1,335) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Tough to match beer and salads

4. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (5,147) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Very much agree with this! And I'll have to add even a Tank 7 by Boulevard is another nice and easy to find saison that pairs well with seafood and salad.

For the OP @Rollmeaway2loadout :

If you're able to get some swordfish steak, grill it up with some lemon pepper spice, then cut into flanks and serve over top of a spinach salad. Recommended dressing: raspberry vinaigrette.

Then serve along with Hennepin or Tank 7.

Rollmeaway2loadout and VABA like this.
  5. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,231) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Depends on the salad. If you are going blue cheese/goat cheese which have a high personality I find a nice fruited sour goes well with it depending on the dressing. If you create your dressings more oil forward you can go more to the sour side, if you like a high vinegar dressing, stick with the saisons.

BalancingBrooms likes this.
  6. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (347) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

Couldn’t agree more. Sours and saisons are the backbone.

I’ll add goose island Sofie to the list

7. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Poo-Bah (1,596) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Depends on the fish and the salad, but Kölsch, hefeweizen and saison are safe bets.

Rollmeaway2loadout likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.