Beer and Scandinavian food

Discussion in 'Nordics' started by Pulley9, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pulley9

Pulley9 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2015 Scotland

I'm not sure if this should go in this section, or in Beer and Food, I can easily repost there if mods think I should.

I'm throwing a party soon and wanted to serve some Scandinavian food at it. I thought lighter finger-type food would be better than anything too heavy. Mostly we'll be drinking lager/pilsner too, if that helps any?

2. Beervana

Beervana Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2014 Canada (BC)

I think Smørrebrød is the obvious choice here; about as typically Scandinavian as it gets, easy to make into finger-food, and you can make a variety to pair with the beer you're serving. If you're pouring mostly lager, I'd lean pretty heavily on the seafood, maybe a smoked salmon, a herring, and then a pate to round out the bunch.

Heretic42 and CaliSwede like this.
  3. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Sweden

Smörrebröd is not typical scandinavian. That is just typical for Denmark, but like Beervana just said, easy to make and pretty good finger food.

I would recomend picked herring, very scandinavian and very easy to serve as tappas-ish. It goes pretty well with lager as well.

4. Beervana

Beervana Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2014 Canada (BC)

Smørbrød is pretty typical in Norway as well, no? Two out of three ain't bad. :wink:

5. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Sweden

50% dont forgett Finland!

Not so typical in Norway, but I can agree that Smörrebrö is a good idea since it is good fingerfood and we do have a lot of ryebread in all scandinavian cusines.
    Here is a list, excelt tpe pickled herring, this is very traditional Scandinavian food.

The obvious meatball, is represented mainly in Sweden but also very traditional in teh rest of scandinavia.
    Bloodsausage
    Cabbagepudding (my favourite Swedish dish, but it has to be done correctly)
    Cured salmon
    Knäckebröd, is a hard bread, pretty good with liverpaste that is pretty damn scandinavian. Liver paste is excelent on ryebread as well wich makes it a really good smörrebröd.
    Moose, reindeer, duck etc. Usually they get cut in really thin slices. In Norway, Sweden and Finland they eat it in a thing bread with horseradishpaste. The bread is rolled so it is like a kebab.
    In Norway, Sweden and Finland we have "whey" that is a kind of butter that is sweet like camramell malts.
    Lingonberries and cloud berries is pretty scandinavian.

Coffee, and strong! Finland is ranked no1 and Sweden 2 in the coutntries where they drink the most coffee. And we like it strong and black.

Just go to IKEA and buy some food, represent Scandinavia quite well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.