Beer and Sports

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Amendm, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Amendm

Amendm Aspirant (284) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

I realize this is not a sports blog.
    I love my teams but I hate sports blogs, it’s all a bunch of “u suk” and “fu”. I surf occasionally but do not post.

This thread is for Beer related sports talk; WBAYD during the game, stories about beer consumption at games, messed up stuff happening while playing sports and drinking beer, teams you love/hate, etc.

Some folks look forward to fall releases; Octoberfest, Pumpkin Beers, Brown Ales returning to the shelves and such. I look forward to the NFL season, MLB Playoffs, and soon the NBA and NHL and drinking beer. Auto Racing is a sport too, Soccer, the Olympics…whatever, even Curling if it involves beer somehow.

Can anyone here fathom sitting through any sporting event, in person or on TV without beer??!!

Me first.
    Go Pats, love them Red sox. I heading to the packy this evening, looking for beers from New England.

Myself and a large group of co-workers went to a Sox game last year, one lady got so smashed on some “lite” beer that she fell over into the row of seats below knocking over several unsuspecting people and spilling many drinks. This was captured on video and somehow found its way on onto Facebook. It did not go “viral” but everybody where I work saw it. Some things will never be lived down and social media is there to help.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  2. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (431) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I can. I love sports and I love beer. Beer isn't needed to make sports great.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,455) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I really enjoy watching professional cycling. The subtle tactics, and engineering ingenuity both intrigue me. No race better showcases both of those than the cobbled Spring Classics, of which Paris-Roubaix is the pinnacle. The entire week leading up to it is blog after blog after blog going through the unique and new gear the riders will be using in the "Hell of the North".

Streaming starts around 3:30 AM in my time zone for Paris-Roubaix and Ronde van Vlaanderen (the Sunday prior), but I'm always up for it with a steaming cup of coffee and hot plate of scrambled eggs and bacon ready to go. Later on in the race, I'll often pour a special Belgian beer to commemorate the occasion, after all, most of the spring classics occur in Belgium. Belgian riders have a strong history of churning out spring classic champions as well.

Last year's two big spring classic races, I had Westvleteren 12, Gulden Draak, a 3 Fontaine brew and a Trappist Rochefort 10. In years past I had Boulevard's BBQ and Sixth Glass, Chimay Blue, and Trappist Rochefort 10. This year, I have some Cantillon, 3 Fontaine, and Westvleteren 6 and 8 to choose among and will look to seek out anything else new for the occasion. Highly considering picking up BA Chimay Blue for this year's Ronde van Vlaanderen.

In fact, this past year I was able to spend a day in Roubaix. I stopped by the Podium Cafe and had a Leffe Blonde while I stood on the entering turn into the historic velodrome that has saw the conclusion of many brutal races. It was a moving moment for me.

The Spring Classics mean good Belgian beer and some insane cycling, and remain my favorite annual sporting event series.

4. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (804) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I cannot fathom sitting through a sporting event at all.

ZebulonXZogg, mudbug, rronin and 6 others like this.
  5. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (818) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Seeing how the biggest sport in Germany is what Americans call soccer I can't blame you.

6. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Disciple (385) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I used to be really into sports. Then I got married. Now, I just ask her to leave me alone for Eagles games and the playoffs. I certainly do like to have good beers during games. I'll drink my crap beer during the week and save up my good ones for gameday.

7. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

When I watch my recording of the Eagles and Falcons tonight, I'll likely have a delicious brew on hand. I love drinking beer and watching football, so does my wife.

I don't personally have any great sports drinking stories, but didn't the Ron Artest Palace brawl start with a thrown beer?

8. rozzom

rozzom Defender (688) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Can we get more love for this post please??!

I would say all cycling fits the bill for me, but totally agree that the spring classics are a) fucking exciting and b) the most beer-centric

9. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (674) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

I'd do it more but we cut the cord years ago... so if the sport is not on one of the basic national channels? No joy. If it's on, then hellz yeah.
    :slight_frown:

Jbuitron, Lahey and Amendm like this.
  10. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Thanks, dude! I definitely enjoy the excitement of the spring classics. It's much more cut-throat and seize the day than tours, both short and grand. Teams have one day to apply the scalpel and dissect the other teams, and a late mechanical means the day is lost. Grand tours are fun, but there is so much time to make up time that they lack that do-or-die atmosphere the spring classics bring out in the peloton. Desperate moves can make for a beautiful show, or a tragic fireworks display.

Plus, I haven't really found any good Italian, French, or Spanish beers to watch during their grand tours, but Belgium? Oh, they're doing it right.

Shanex, rozzom and Amendm like this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Beers and football are made for each other.

12. Lahey

You should get tonights game, I think it's on channel 2 or 4? No spoilers guys, I'm recording for later...

eppCOS and Amendm like this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

It's a national broadcast Fox.

Amendm likes this.
  14. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (51) Sep 11, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I don’t NEED beers for sporting events but I certainly enjoy drinking while watching a good sporting event. The bigger the event the better. I enjoyed drinking while watching the World Cup this summer. It was a great excuse to do some morning drinking. But Sunday afternoon with a couple good beers is always a comforting thought to me. College football is a close second. I’ve become more of a day/afternoon drinker lately so afternoon football is perfect.

rozzom and Amendm like this.
  15. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I love cycling and I love Belgian beers. Putting them together, however, seems like a recipe for a disastrous rest of the day.

16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Used to be WAY more into sports, but I still really like watching a game/match with a pint. Problem is that the sport I most like watching, soccer/footie, is on pretty early. Might catch a late match (noon or so) with a pint, but that kinda starts the day on the wrong foot. Those cunts that are at the pub for 7:30 am kick-offs are WAY more committed than I am. Now college football, on the other hand, is tailor made for drinking beer.

17. Harrison8

Premium Trader

I clear my schedule for Ronde van Vlaanderen and Paris-Roubaix. The rest of the day usually involves a long nap, a second round of coffee, and then some binge show watching. Sort of the opposite of a Super Bowl day, where the entirety of the day is used to prep for the event that night. Instead, I have the event in the morning, and then clean up and relax the remainder of the day.

I followed the World Cup this year pretty closely, but with kick off being at 7 AM, 9AM, 11 AM, and 1 PM, I never really got a chance to sit in a bar and watch any of the matches until the semi-finals, but I was in Europe at that point. Had I been stateside, I think I would have been at work watching Google Live for updates. I didn't consume much beer while watching just due to the show times in the US.

I rarely, if ever, enjoy a beer while the Premier league is on just due to the match times in the US.

Shanex, Amendm, FBarber and 1 other person like this.
  18. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

But it is needed for some to make sports tolerable.

Lahey and Amendm like this.
  19. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (63) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Beer and sports just seem to go hand in hand. Nothing like enjoying a nice brew while watching the game. Also some of my best stories/worst injuries have come from drunken games of football, basketball, and hockey.

SKOL VIKINGS! Let's finally win a damn title already! I'm sick of the devastating heartbreak! Gary Anderson, and Blair Walsh better hope I never meet them in a dark alleyway... Damn f***ing kickers!

20. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,386) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

LOL. :wink:

Amendm likes this.
  21. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (542) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Trader

Blair Walsh has slowly drifted into oblivion since that day. I’m not sure if he even exists anymore.

Skol, however!

Shanex and Amendm like this.
  22. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,798) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I'm often too busy drinking beer to watch sports. When NHL season starts, I certain don't mind having a bit of hockey with my beer. Go Flames!

hopsputin, Shanex and Amendm like this.
  23. 2ellas

2ellas Devotee (455) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

They go hand in hand for me too, particularly with some good snacks. Oddly enough, I started a thread last year using what everyone was drinking for a big football game and it got deleted saying it was to close to WBAYDN!

Shanex and Amendm like this.
  24. Shanex

Shanex Champion (819) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

@Harrison8

That was a super post! I am also a cycling fan and have been for decades.

If I’m not mistaken - Americans (well for a number of the « older » ones) started following closely the Tour because of Greg Lemond, way before the Armstrong era and fiasco.

I’ve only watched Paris - Roubaix on TV but did attend the start of the race back in the 90s in Compiegne where it then started.

I love Peter Sagan. He is a great cyclist and a sound bloke as well. I was impressed the way he won the World championship in Richmond in 2015.

I loved watching the 90s era of the tour and Marco Pantani escapades in the Alps and Pyrenees. Sad how his life ended...

Beside cyclism I have watched the World Cup in Russia this summer mostly drinking Sierra Nevada ... cheers

25. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (63) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Oh he still exists, even if only in our nightmares.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  26. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

I watch a lot of TV sports, but I rarely drink beer while doing so. If I got into the habit of drinking beer for all of the sports that I watch I'd be asleep by 6 PM every weekend, or 9 PM every weeknight.

27. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (598) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Well, yes, and I do it often. Weekday night, flip a Red Sox game on... I certainly don't feel the need to go grab a beer just because I'm watching baseball.

That said, I do agree with the sentiment and spirit of your post. Because of the cost, time involved, etc., I rarely go to pro sporting events. So when I do, it's more of an adventure than just going to a game. Once a year me and a bunch of guys from our area go to a Pats game. We get up and leave early (we're two hours away), set up shop early and enjoy the company of the friendship around us. Of course plenty of beer is around, along with boatload of food, games, etc. You know the drill, it's everywhere on gameday and it's great (mostly).

Even small Div III college ball- I went to (and played football) at a small NESCAC school. Every year me and a handful of alumni get together for the homecoming game. It's not much different than a Pats game (ok, maybe it is), people hanging out, reminiscing about old times, talking about this year's team, eating and drinking beer. Does beer HAVE to be involved? Of course not, but it certainly fits and is welcome to the occasion.

And back in the early '90's, just out of college, me and a bunch of friends each bought a 20-pack of Ranger's games (as in hockey). We'd all meet at the Blarney Stone on 33rd, unwind from the day, shoot the shit, drink beer, then go watch a great hockey team. Luckily, when you bought these mini season subscriptions, playoff tickets were guaranteed. One of those years was 1994. The beer at MSG always gave me a headache, but for some reason, I drank it anyway.

So yeah, beer and sports, I'm game. Just not every night.

Amendm likes this.
  28. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Thank you! I really enjoying cycling, although I don't follow the entire UCI World Tour as closely now as I did in years past. The Spring Classics are truly my favorite and a cause for a day long celebration in my world.

I started watching cycling right at the tail end of the doping era (don't forget Tyler Hamilton winning and subsequently losing a TdF due to doping - USA had a good run back then!), when I fell in love with watching the French countryside scroll by on the screen. After watching most of one year's Tour, I found myself rather entwined with the sport. Cadel's win supported by Tejay (an American!) really spiked my interest. Unfortunately, I don't think an American has done as well at the Tour since.... One of our best hopes (Andrew Talansky) has left the sport for professional long course triathlons. I'd be extremely curious what spurred that move, and an honest answer at that.

Peter Sagan is one of my favorite riders as well. I like how dynamic he is, both on the race course and with fans. In fact, most of my favorite riders would be considered "classics guys" like Boonen, Fabian, Sagan, Phinney, Terpstra, Degenkolb, and Tony Martin.

Losing Pantani was a blow to the community. Unfortunately, that life trajectory doesn't seem that rare when looking at post-professional cycling for celebrity riders, thinking of recent events concerning Jan Ullrich. Hoping he's able to sort things out.

rozzom, Amendm and Shanex like this.
  29. Amendm

Amendm Aspirant (284) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Lots of cycling fans here.
    Back in the 60's mostly kids road bikes; banana/monkey bikes, the occasional 5-speed.
    The 10-speed racing style bikes came on the scene in the late 60’s-early 70’s and things changed.

I don’t miss the 1-speeds with the coaster breaks, you would have been harassed for wearing a helmet no matter how dangerous those things were.

Mothergoose03, rozzom and Shanex like this.
  30. Shanex

Trader

Ahh gotcha it’s true that regarding the Pantani case it’s sad that after he was outed for doping he got into hard drugs and heavy drinking until he either died of overdose or suicide in a miserable hotel in Rimini. Very sad.

Yes I’ve been also following Jan Ullrich and Lance Armstrong recently came to support him in Germany. I know these two were convicted of doping but ultimately I don’t wish them the same fate.

I’m looking forward to the spring classic in 6 months from now. Paris - Nice is interesting too albeit not a one day classic. I’ve lost interest in the Tour because of the Sky and Chris froome who many suspect of being fishy... oh well. It’s still a great sport to watch.

rozzom, Harrison8 and Amendm like this.
  31. Harrison8

Premium Trader

I agree. I like to see dopers get outed, but that doesn't mean I want them to suffer. Especially to the point of taking their own life.

My interest in the Tour is waning. I thought this year would revive that between featuring Roubaix cobbles, Alp d'Heuz, and being there for stage 4 & 9, but I found it even more stale than the past few years (although being there was incredible). Sky sets a tempo and then Froome/Geraint attacks - end of the stage. Do that 21 days and you've essentially seen the last 5 Tours from a GC perspective. It was kinda cool seeing Geraint win, and I wish Froome had gotten treated better off the course, but his performance and doping allegations are questionable. The overall GC competition was stale. What happened to Nairo? And how did none of the big name sprinters survive past stage 10?

Bardet deserves a shout out for coming back on stage 9 even after 5 mechanicals/flats, unfortunately it wasn't enough to threaten Sky's grip.

Amendm, rozzom and Shanex like this.
  32. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (173) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Watched the Jets win, then turned the Yankee game on to watch them last night while drinking a Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest, and a Treehouse Green. Last night was a good night.

PatrickCT and Amendm like this.
  33. rozzom

Trader

Why no chat about the Vuelta since it's a) happening right now and b) very exciting cos it's not being dominated by Sky

Come on Yates!

@Harrison8 @Shanex @Amendm

PS yes Sagan is a beast. He was my avatar on here for about 4 years up until a couple of weeks ago when @jrnyc made me change it to the current one (a very badly photoshopped pic of Carlos Barbero)

My other current favourite rider is Alaphilippe. He's amazing

34. Shanex

Trader

Julian Alaphilippe is great. I haven’t been following the Vuelta not even on weekends but I should.

Speaking of which, I’m hardly a chauvinist or strong french patriot but it would be nice that a French could win one of the three. If not the Tour de France at least the Vuelta or Giro... it seems though that Bardet or Alaphillipe focus on the TDF whereas they are quite capable of winning in Italy or Spain without the Sky domination.

Harrison8, rozzom and Amendm like this.
  35. rozzom

Trader

Alaphilippe was awesome at the TDF (multiple stages and winning the climbers jersey). But he (and QS) would have to have a major priority shift to think about him becoming a GC contender. Stages for sure - but overall GC is a different beast. I just don't think it's on the horizon for him - although I think if he wanted to and was in a GC-focused team, he would be more than capable.

Yeah would love Bardet to pull something off. Or Pinot.

Bardet is total class. Like the way he rode Strade Bianchi and LBL this year. Podiumed both

Shanex likes this.
  36. Lahey

Not for Lions fans. God the Lions looked horrible, failure in all three phases. We looked worse than the browns. Idk how a team can have so much talent and suck so bad. The jets were supposed to suck, not the lions! But, that's why they play the games (and lose them)

Come be a Detroit fan everybody, you'll figure out why we drink during games...

stevepat, Mothergoose03 and Amendm like this.
  37. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Bardet has my vote, for whatever that's worth. Pinot winning on the Alp d'Heuz in 2015 is one of my cycling highlights.

Quickstep is one of my favorite teams, mostly because of their prominence in the spring classics, but as far as grand tours go they are more antagonists than GC contenders. I don't mean that in a bad way, they just seem to ride for the day, which makes them a force in one day races, but outside favorites for anything GC related. They support sprinters well too.

@Shanex : I wouldn't consider myself a patriot, but I do root a little louder for our Americans. I'd love to see Phinney win, or at least podium, in one of the classics. Especially with his come back story.

P.S. I didn't put two and two together that Rozzom changed his profile picture. Welcome back Peter Sagan guy, haha :grin:

Shanex, Amendm and rozzom like this.
  38. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,308) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

You can blame the artist I hired for free to do it, @frozyn !!

Amendm likes this.
  39. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (91) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

My normal golf is walking and not drinking. I also have a routine of going to the driving range, buying 2 beers and a sake, and then going to my friends byob sushi bar for lunch. Then one time I went there and told him that I was going to the driving range after lunch because we had a tournament soon where we would be riding and drinking the whole time. If you're going to be playing while drinking, you need to practice while drinking. I think that I enjoy drinking in the Meadowlands parking lot more than going into Giants Stadium for the game.

Amendm likes this.
  40. rgordon

rgordon Champion (837) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My Dad bought me a Holdsworth Equipe in 1973. It was that iconic orange and blue, was a 5 speed, beautifully geared, with Campagnola derailers, a gorgeous leather Brooks seat, engraved handlebars depicting Great Britain. It was smooth and fast and a wonderful machine. I never could get rid of it. I kept it for years, moldering away in a back shed. Two years ago a bicycle enthusiast friend of mine asked if I still had it. I called him back and gave it to him. Macon has rebuilt that bike to pristine condition and loves it now every bit as much as I did then.

jonb5, Reef, rozzom and 3 others like this.