Beer at wedding receptions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrStiffington, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,804) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

So I was at an awesome wedding reception last night. Beautiful place, great time had by all, everything top notch. I was driving, so I was only looking to have one or two anyway, but when I asked for the options...Bud, Bud lite, Coors light, Heineken. So I had a glass of red with my filet. Since I'm now over 40, most of my wedding days are in my past, but it got me thinking. I've only been to one wedding where a craft beer (Ommegang BPA) was an option, other than one or two that offered Sam Adams lager.

Question to you wedding goers: has anyone been to weddings that offered an actual craft beer as an option? They're getting more and more popular but it seems to me that even the priciest weddings still stick to the same old macros. What have you noticed?

AntG21 likes this.
  2. CraftBeerMe

CraftBeerMe Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2011 Virginia

It usually seems that, even if the wedding party likes craft, the people actually paying for it decide to buy the macro so more people will want to drink it... that, and it's usually pricey by comparison, depending on the guest list size.

3. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Going to a wedding in a few hours and these three taps are on:

Coors Light
    Shipyard Pumpkin
    Sam Adams Oktoberfest

I give them an A for effort for trying with the Shipyard. It's an October wedding, so a pumpkin beer is appropriate. Unfortunately they chose the worst one money can buy, ha ha. Coors Light will probably kick before the other two. Needless to say, I am going to be hanging around that Sam O-fest all day.

Is this list great? Nope. Is it better than most of the weddings I have been to? Hell yes.

4. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Was at one this summer that served bottles of Alpha King & Gumballhead. ZD could also be had if you new the right people.

5. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (487) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I just was at a wedding last month where they had a keg of Yards Brawler. I was happy.

We decided to home brew for a friend's wedding back in August. It worked out well. People really seemed to enjoy it.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  6. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,257) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

The handful of wedding receptions I have been to pretty much have the same standard macro beer options: Bud Light, Coors Lite, Yuengling Lager, Millet Lite, etc. I usually go with Tanqueray and Tonic's, and most times it's some cheap gin and not even Tanqueray :slight_frown:.

Swik and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  7. kell50

kell50 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

8. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Florida

The craft gets really expensive. I went to a wedding this summer where the groom's 4 brothers each made a 5 gallon batch of homebrew in bottles. Even went out of their way to have labels made. They had a 9% ABV Saison that was absolutely fantastic.

9. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Zealot (506) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

My wife & I got married at the Philadelphia Art Alliance right off of Rittenhouse Square a wee bit over a year ago.
    They offered BMC & Yuengling, but if you asked you could get a DFH 60min or SixPoint Bengali Tiger among a few others.

10. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (857) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

My sister married a brewer, and he brought along kegs of good stuff.

Roxie_B and Kerrie like this.
  11. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (146) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I got married in Wisconsin and our two draught offerings were New Glarus Spotted Cow and New Glarus Staghorn Oktoberfest. I was glad Staghorn was still available as it was in November and I wasn't sure if it would be around or not. The owner of the reception place even let me keep the tapper handles!

KS1297 likes this.
  12. mxchap

mxchap Initiate (198) Aug 30, 2012 California

My friend's wedding (two years ago) served bottles of anchor steam and sierra nevada pale ale (no BMC).

We homebrewed for my girlfriend's sister's wedding in June.
    We made a nice blonde ale / kolsch (4% abv)
    It was an outdoor wedding in 107F heat, and the guests killed the keg in ~50 minutes haha.

TickleMeTony likes this.
  13. bman_85

bman_85 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2012 Wisconsin

Recent wedding had Coors light and spotted cow. Got a spotted cow and knew right away the lines were switched. Pointed it out to them bit they assured me they were not. Watched for a while and everyone that ordered a Coors happily drank it not saying a word. Next beer I asked for Coors. About an hour later they finally switched them.

DrStiffington likes this.
  14. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (255) Jul 29, 2006 New Hampshire

At my wedding last year we had 6 craft beers available as well as Narragansett. My buddy's wedding two weeks ago had a pretty epic beer list. Twelve 5-Gallon kegs of homebrew, styles including IPAs, Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Beer and a Coffee Stout. Commercial beers on tap including Sierra Torpedo, Smutty Robust Porter and Shed Brown Ale. There was also a case of Bud for the die hards. The party got rowdy.

15. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

My buddy had his wedding at a winery in the finger lakes. They did not have good beer options. So we bought some good beers and had them stored in a fridge behind the bar. The bartenders were told to give them to anyone who asked but not put them on the list with everything else.

Another buddy's wedding on his parents property in Vermont was almost all craft beer.

All of the larger weddings that I have gone to where the wedding planner takes care of the beverages I have been lucky to get Sam Adams. I think it depends on the venue of the wedding and how much the bride and groom care about craft beer.

16. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

We served the following beers at our wedding:

Brooklyn Local 1
    Chimay Premiere
    Homebrewed Weizenbock
    Homebrewed Abbey Singel
    Nugget Nectar
    Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Budweiser

We served the Local 1 instead of champagne, it went over extremely well.

17. JCam9981

JCam9981 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2011 North Carolina

My buddy got married last year to a member of the Conway family, and they had Great Lakes bottle Oktoberfest for them, with a GLBC label calling it "Wedding Ale" with their pictures on it. That was pretty awesome.

I'm getting married 2 weeks from today (oh shit...) and we're having Founders Breakfast Stout bottles and Bell's Two Hearted and Big Boss Harvest Time on draft. Our favors are pint glasses. I'm also having a table set up in a back room for the groomsmen with some Darkness, Dark Lord, Eclipse, Fayston, Mass Rising, etc.

18. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

My best friend got married over the summer (don't get me started) and we actually had 4 homebrews on tap: Pale Ale (5.8%), IPA (7.5%), Black IPA (8.7%), and Irish Red Ale (7%). All of the kegs kicked except the black IPA. A lot of the wine drinkers said "fuck the wine" and drank homebrew. It was a great time and everyone enjoyed it (including a 90+ year old WW2 vet who was hip to the black IPA, incredible!!).

The only other beer served was Corona (wedding was on the beach so I'll let that one pass) and Bud Light. Needless to say, there were plenty of bottles left, which made me feel good about what choices everyone made.

admobeer34, LiquidCucumber and Kerrie like this.
  19. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,804) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

It sounds like if the brides/grooms took matters into their own hands and were into craft brew, that's what was served. It just goes to show that craft beer still has a long way to go when, at big, fancy catering halls, not even Sam Adams is served at the majority of weddings. Top notch food, service, etc but bottom of the barrel beer. No pun intended.

20. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

At my reception last year, I had a keg of Weasel Boy Plaid Ferret for everyone, and then had some bottles to share with those who wanted to partake, including Mariage Parfait Kriek and a 2004 Mariage Parfait Geuze. Usually when I go to a wedding though, it's either no alcohol (because of the venue and/or family) or the standard macro stuff.

21. london1o1

london1o1 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2003 Pennsylvania

Was just at a wedding that had some Bruery Mischief and Sour in the Rye, among other things.

22. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Sounds like a great beer list. Just don't be surprised if one of your groomsmen is shit faced and can't make it through the reception. Beers seem to go down faster at weddings and large social gatherings that plus high abv's equals getting drunk fast. Congrats and good luck.

23. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

If I was to get married again, I'd probably get a keg of Miller Lite. Nobody would be offended by the "non-offensive" taste and afficianados could request water and/or iced tea instead. BAs could go to the trunks of their cars and bring Impy Stouts in a brown paper bag. Win/win.

DelMontiac and mxchap like this.
  24. dgfool

dgfool Initiate (113) Sep 6, 2012 Ohio

At a wedding a few weeks again that had bristol brewing laughing lab and beehive
    funny thing neither bride are groom drink beer and just wanted the guest to have better beer

25. phingdong

phingdong Disciple (302) Aug 24, 2010 New Hampshire
    Trader

Heady Topper and Hill Farmstead at a wedding I attended recently. Went over quite well.

cultclassic89 and NHhomebrewguy like this.
  26. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (221) May 30, 2010 Michigan

I had two hearted as an option at my wedding,we also had a bmc option, think it was Miller. I also opened a couple good sours for the head table, but was about the only who liked them. At least the DJ helped me out , thanks Malty! it was a great night!

27. pattermj

pattermj Initiate (0) May 31, 2008 Virginia

Hey I will come give a toast for some of that back room beer :slight_smile:

But on topic, friend just got married and he had 2 BMCs in cans and 2 crafts for those who knew to ask the bartender. We also brought to share between ourselves (and the bride and a few others) Abyss, BCBS, Barrel blackout stout, which are all nice and fun considering we were stuck with TX distribution otherwise. BCBS 2011 definitely won.

JCam9981 likes this.
  28. king75

king75 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

My cousin's wedding had Two Hearted so I was happy. Other than than the Two Hearted though it was all BMC

29. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,517) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Now those are friends/relatives you can really celebrate with.

30. mborden

mborden Initiate (185) Jan 28, 2009 New York

I'm looking forward to a wedding that I'm going to tomorrow, but that's mainly because I homebrewed three kegs of beer for the reception :grinning:

More to your point though, I was at a wedding reception last weekend that had Bud Light, Sam Adams Oktoberfest, and Blue Moon. Although I don't mind SA Oktoberfest, I ended up sipping on bourbon and ginger ales for most of the night. The best I've ever drank at a reception was when my friend got married earlier this summer and had a sixtel of Jack's Abby Hoponius Union. Most guests were wine drinkers, so I took it upon myself to make sure that the keg went back empty despite the lower percentage of beer drinkers.

31. dillon_1005

dillon_1005 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Wyoming

I was just married this summer, I had a keg of Saddle Bronc Brown, from Blacktooth Brewery here in Sheridan, WY. A fantastic brown, I was also very disappointed, not one of my groomsmen classed the place up with a keg stand.

32. HabiMendes

HabiMendes Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 Rhode Island

In my wedding reception I had two options: Allagash White and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It was a success!

But the interesting bit is that I specifically asked to have only these two options, but some Coors sneaked in somehow. Apparently, people had to specifically ask for them (WTH) to get those.

33. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I don't go to many weddings these days either, but Sweet 16s, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, etc. are all held in the same type catering halls.

The best beers I've seen that wasn't 'pre-arranged' were SABL and Guinness- which is a definite step in the right direction.

34. bjmh

bjmh Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Ohio

Just last week--among others they had Founders All Day on tap, and SNPA in bottles.

admobeer34 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  35. Cjames88

Cjames88 Initiate (46) Mar 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

My sister got married last weekend and the hotel we were at was very pro-local beer and provided Penn Pilsner and Oktoberfest as the main beers.

WAIT FOR IT!!!

.....my own mother bought 4 cases of Fat Heads Headhunter and told the bartenders to serve these to me and my two cousins (craft beer lovers as well) the whole night. All about the hook up:grinning:

36. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I've only been to two weddings since I've gotten into craft beer. One of these weddings, had 21st Amendment Back In Black available, although I'm not sure it was supposed to be included in what was offered. I just saw it in the fridge and asked the bartender for it. The other choices were Hoegaarden and a some other macros, which were displayed on the bar.

37. kristougher

kristougher Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 North Carolina

went to a wedding that had hop notch, dark cloud(local Munich dunkel), and Sierra Nevada pale ale

38. ahq514

ahq514 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Just got married last weekend. We did kegs of Schlafly Pumpkin, Two Bros Ebels Weiss, Greenbush Memento Mori, and PBR as well as bottles of Boulevard 80 Acre, Two Bros Sidekick, Two Bros Heavy Handed, and Cider Boys and a few cases of wine. Most people were non-craft drinkers so that's why I got the PBR. We barely had anyone drink PBR, the craft kegs were pretty much empty at the end, and we only had a little of 80 Acre left in bottles.

muddyh2oblues, Phillyz and JCam9981 like this.
  39. slaneja

slaneja Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2010 Indiana

I think a lot of the factor depends on the state the wedding is in. I got married at a winery in NY and the place was really strict on bringing bottles in, saying that state law prohibited it. Luckily the place was accommodating in getting what I wanted. Had yuengling, Founders all day, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Maine Brewing Mo...there was an extra charge for the Mo but it was only $15 per case.

40. Distroman

Distroman Initiate (0) May 20, 2013 Illinois

At my buddy's wedding earlier this year they had bottles of:

Lagunitas Pils
    Great Lakes Edmond Fitz
    Stella
    The typical BMC stuff

They also had some fairly high end wine (for weddings anyway)....12-18 dollar wholesale bottle cost.

cambabeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.