Beer at wedding receptions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrStiffington, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattSlem

MattSlem Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2011 California

Mmm Catch 23 is one of my favorites when I'm ever back in town.

2. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 Georgia

Leinenkugel is a staple at wedding's in Wisconsin... Well, at least at the 2 I've been to up there :slight_smile:

3. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2012 Wisconsin

Was recently at a wedding that had Two Hearted bottles as part of the open bar. So much Two Hearted that night...

4. hoppinessisacoldbrew

hoppinessisacoldbrew Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Tennessee

Need a best man?

5. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2009 Michigan

My best friend got married last June and my wedding gift to him was 10 gallons of ESB 10 gallons of British Bitter and 10 gallons of sierra pale ale clone all kegged. They did buy one half barrel of bud light but at the end of the party I had about a quarter of a keg of British Bitter and everything else was gone except the bud light was still half full made me feel good

tobelerone likes this.
  6. bpalfrey10

bpalfrey10 Initiate (118) Jan 15, 2010 New York

I couldn't get draft beer at my wedding reception this past October in Geneva, NY so I had Great Lakes Ed Fitz Porter, Ithaca Country Pumpkin, Bear Republic Racer 5, Ithaca Nut Brown, and trusty old Blue Light in bottles.

7. Jaay7

Jaay7 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 Indiana

only wedding ive been in that served beer was an open bar and it had really crappy cheap beer.but since it was free,and pretty much all i could drink.i wasnt complaining

AntG21 likes this.
  8. zestd

zestd Disciple (334) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

I got married a few weeks ago and had the following: 1 case Bud light, case of Celebration, six PtE, six Blind Pig, four Damnation, four Temptation, four Consecration, four A Lot of Beer (rr pale), and 12 variety bombers from Lassen Ale Works. A good time was had by all.
    There was a bummer cleaning up later they found a Consecration with just a sip gone sitting on a table.

9. GG_ALLINS_GHOST

GG_ALLINS_GHOST Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2013 Colorado

Got married this summer and had two kegs from Breckenridge Brewery as well as cans of dry dock and boulder brewing company. We also had bud lite, miller lite, and colors lite for those who don't care what they drink.

10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,552) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

I attended a Utah wedding recently:

Devastator Doppelbock
    Squatters Hop Rising IIPA
    Squatters IPA bottle
    Rogue Mocha Porter
    Uinta Anniversary Barleywine (10%)
    Fat Tire
    Grolsch
    Gordon Biersch Kolsch

tobelerone likes this.
  11. Pourbox

Pourbox Initiate (0) May 12, 2014 New Jersey

We did a wedding last month in central western NJ. The Groom had 15 kegs of home brew on the Pourbox tailgater.

The funny thing about this, was it was at a vineyard, and the beer was the highlight of the event.

12. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (937) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

My friend had Abner, Edward, and Florence on tap at his wedding. I don't think there were many beer drinkers because some close friends and I definitely drank most of it - it lasted right up to the end of the reception.

lonestarstate97 likes this.
  13. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Florida

One of my friends had a wedding recently and I made brought 3 kegs of beer for the wedding (in various stages of fullness).

Their was peanut-butter stout, hefewisen, and a IPA I made.....and the IPA was the most popular. nuts right? :stuck_out_tongue:

14. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (272) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Since sessional IPA first of all day time or all day then I would bring a lager in for those that don't care what beer tastes like as long as its cold maybe yuengling light gross

15. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

My buddy got married not two weeks ago, with a smallish ceremony. We bought a keg of Yuengling Lager for the reception and got pretty wall sauced. Craft beers are great, I love em, but I still enjoy getting rowdy with the boys on a bucket of cheap lager here and there. Don't hurt my tastebuds none.

16. ItsYourBoyBlue

ItsYourBoyBlue Zealot (557) Feb 23, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Best beer option at a wedding I've had was Stone IPA on draft, but they ran out early in the night so had to switch to the table red which was pretty good actually. Generally the best option at weddings I've been to is Sam Adams Boston Lager.

charlzm likes this.
  17. turfy

turfy Aspirant (242) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

unbelievable....the standard wedding choices here are Miller Lite and Bud Light:slight_frown:

charlzm likes this.
  18. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (307) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Close
    It happened to me once at a wedding where the bride's father brought his own 6 packs of craft beer. He then told certain people, me being one, to give the signal, finger down the nose, ala The "Sting", to the bartender who knew the signal to give you the GOOD stuff. A nice surprise instead of the usual BMC at TOO many weddings.

AntG21, charlzm and DrStiffington like this.
  19. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

That's pretty funny!

19etz55 likes this.
  20. gQQgsJr

gQQgsJr Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

My wedding will be at the end of August at a restaurant that also has a great reception area. Plus side is they have all the same taps in the reception area. Which consist of a rotation of 10 beers. 8 craft options, yuengling and a bmc. When the Mrs. asked what i thought of the place my response was and still is "10 beers on tap!"

21. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Disciple (389) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Man, I'm impressed by all these wedding beer line-ups. The best I've seen was a single keg of Oberon.

charlzm likes this.
  22. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,658) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

When I got married about two years ago it was a hassle to get much of interest on tap or even in bottles for the wedding aside from Saranac pale ale and BMC stuff (and something like Amstel). My wife and I were by far the biggest craft fanatics so we had a few, at most, while we did the duties of the bride and groom, socializing with all the attendees, dances, etc...then broke out the bottles of good stuff back at the hotel for the after party. Honestly I didn't eat or drink much at the reception - too much to do, need to stay sharp, sociable, and charming...beer will be there after the event.

As a guest I can't recall too many weddings - and I've been to a ton as both a guest and a musician - that had very good beer choices. I went to a rooftop wedding right next to the 59th street bridge that had bottles of Coney Island Albino Python for some reason. What a terrible beer. I want to go to weddings where Abner and Florence are on tap!

23. makeminerandom

makeminerandom Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Your mother bought 4 cases of beer to split between 3 people at a public function? That seems like an irresponsible amount of beer :confused:

24. Tafyob41

Tafyob41 Disciple (321) Feb 16, 2014 Missouri

I told the hotel where I got married in St. Louis that I was a huge craft beer fan. Out of the blue there was Urban Chestnut Zwickel & Schnickelfritz on Tap at the reception. Not my top choices, but it made my guests and me happy. They were great chasers after I was surprised with bottle of Abraxas from my wife following the ceremony.

25. Circles413

Circles413 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2014 Illinois

I was at a wedding earlier this month & the only craft beer that was served was, Anti-hero. I'm looking to trade for a Rare beer as a wedding gift for another wedding on 7/5.

26. Theniz

Theniz Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Indiana

I got married earlier this month, I brought with me

Zombie Dust
    Mamas Lil Yella Pils
    Schlafly Kolsch
    Illusive Traveler Shandy

The venue we were at had

Sierra nevada Pale
    Guinness Draught
    Sam Adams Summer
    (860) IPA
    Thomas Hooker Blonde
    Bud Light

The beers I brought were all gone about 2 hours into the wedding, and the only options left by the end were bud light and Guinness

27. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (186) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey

My buddy got married last winter in Hartford, and was total craft oriented. You were assigned tables by brewery instead of table numbers. The kicker? Open bar all night-with all Sixpoint beers. Resin included. It was during a crazy snowstorm as well, so sadly a lot of people couldnt show up, which meant that no beer ran out. I felt sorry that a lot of people couldn't show up, but weirdly the snow made for a beautiful ceremony. The city was dead, we were outside afterwords with everyone lighting off sparklers and smoking cigars in the snow, and drinking all the resin we could.

jimmyfishkin and FoamInnovation like this.
  28. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

1/2 bbl Coors = $111.00 + deposit.
    1/2 bbl Oskar Blues G'night = $205.00 + deposit.
    It's hard to blame folks for making purchase decisions this way, but it makes the wedding/events with craft beers all the sweeter.
    Best example I have been to had Stone IPA 1/2 bbls and Unibroue Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles 1/6 bbls. There were a lot of Bud/Miller drinkers there that night that were converted for life.

29. makingvisible

makingvisible Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 Ohio

I'm getting married in November here in Cincinnati, and we'll have kegs of local fave Madtree - both Lift (a Kolsch to satisfy light beer drinkers) and Psychopathy IPA (for everyone else - especially the groomsmen).

30. Evan

Evan Devotee (450) Mar 9, 2012 Maryland

The place I got married allowed you to purchase all the alcohol and just charged you for the bartending labor. We had:

Heady Topper (Wedding Party Only)
    Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA
    Stone IPA
    Dogfish Head Brown Ale
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Budweiser
    Bud Light

People crushed the craft stuff but I think I still have a case or two of 2 year old Budweiser in my basement.

31. Hopportunistic

Hopportunistic Aspirant (203) Jan 24, 2013 North Carolina

Went to one earlier this year that had all the Terrapin Hopsecutioner you wanted, if that counts.

32. headylamar

headylamar Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2010 New Jersey

HA! I think the wedding photographer at the event you referenced was the same gentleman that shot my wedding in February!!

33. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

I would rather see a shit selection of beer than endure 107 degree heat. No thanks.

34. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,102) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Headed to a wedding today at a New York City hotel, I expect the usual BMC line-up unfortunately. While the craft revolution is giving us opportunity to drink craft beer almost everywhere we want, there are still some last bastions that havent joined the revolution.

35. jon432

jon432 Initiate (61) Mar 30, 2014 Maryland

went to a wedding two weeks ago. walk up to the bar. i could see all of the liquor was "rail", so i asked what type of beer they had. bartender replies:

Bud, Bud Light, Coors Lite and Miller Lite. i ordered a water before finally settling on a night of C-L Smoothies!

was at a wedding last night, far better beer list:

Corona
    Dogfish 60 Minute
    New Belgium Fat Tire and Summer Helles
    Victory Summer Ale

i had a variety, really great stuff, nothing too heavy. plus a peruvian food truck and ice cream sandwich bar! when i heard the pixies and vampire weekend during the cocktail hours, i knew i was at the right spot!

36. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (259) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

we had an outdoor, backyard bbq wedding 14yrs ago and there werent a ton of kegged craft options. I woulda gone local but I think Elm City & the original New England brewing in Norwalk had both gone out of business. I went with a 1/2bbl of Anchor Liberty. At that point, it was super nicely dry hopped and very delicious

37. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

We had a small wedding on the beach last month. Just her parents, grandmother, and my brother and his wife and 2 daughters.

We're having a party of about 3 dozen people next month at her parent's house. The following is "the beer list". This should cover most people, since most aren't huge into craft, but do appreciate a good beer. I'll have extras at the end of the night, consisting of Hunahpu, BCBS, BCBCS, and more...

[​IMG]

HansumFilly likes this.
  38. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,067) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Unlike the some of the great stories above, I drove 6hrs to Rochester NY for a wedding reception that was last night. Open bar had Bud Light, Coors light, Miller lite, Labatts and Dundee Honey Brown Lager. The variety blew me away and the craft in-laws and I had a tough time deciding. Sarcasm aside, the next sentence is true, without exaggeration --Both bartenders could not understand why they quickly ran out of the brown. Upstairs bar had $7 local craft drafts, big price, but what would you do?
    Still can't get over the "broad" selection with a beer from every BMC! Wow. It was great.

39. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I lived the first 31 years of my life in Rochester (not counting the 4 years in Buffalo for college). I believe your story. That's why I rarely visit my family. :astonished:

40. cambabeer

cambabeer Meyvn (1,199) Dec 29, 2010 New York
    Society Trader Fest Crew

Whenever I get married... a ways off, there will be craft beer. And the bride's parents will pay for it... hahaha

Jmitchell3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.