Beer Bar and Beer Shop Finds (2020)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by AlcahueteJ, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRoweski30

BRoweski30 Initiate (66) Sep 10, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge has made its way out here. Picked some up at Wegmans Chestnut Hill today. Highly recommend.

bostonwolf, AlcahueteJ and eaglephile like this.
  2. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Stopped at Wachusett wine and spirits as I happened to be passing through and had hoped that they would have some celebration-alas they did not, but I did pick up some Tilquin- They have Mure, Pinot noir and gris and Gueze. Pretty excited to see the noir and Gris on the shelves. I only have a discover card that is not a shared card with my wife. My heart skipped a beat when I asked the cashier if they accepted Discover as I held the 35 dollar bottles in my hand...... They do! and bam! I now have three bottles of Lambic tucked away in the basement.

3. fortpointmarket

fortpointmarket Initiate (22) Apr 15, 2020 Massachusetts

Just wanted to say that seeing Hudson Valley Brewing cans in the shops are a blessing. If you ever see, Feel no way light, from them, then buy it. It's probably one of the best crushing pilsners at 3% abv.

4. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (33) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Lulu's is doing a Toppling Goliath stout night with Morning Delight and Term Oil tonight. Does anyone know how sheltered their outdoor seating is?

5. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (278) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Foams patio is great. It’s surrounded by a park with a view of the lake and it’s a short walk to downtown. Hard to beat that. Plus I like their sours a lot.

dubdrop, Sheppard, eaglephile and 2 others like this.
  6. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (33) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Turns out they don't have any overhang, so the patio is closed when it rains or snows. Pours are $15 for 6oz of either, so I'm okay with not going.

SpauldingSmails likes this.
  7. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (204) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've had some fantastic Foam IPAs. I've had a couple that didn't do it for me, but the beers I've enjoyed rom them are right up there with the best of any IPA I've had. And that's a sentence I'd be able to say about those other breweries, too - no one bats 1.000.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,916) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Don’t talk to Tree House fan boys much do you? :wink:

9. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (383) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Clown Shoes 12 Beers of Christmas. $23 for 12 different 12oz. The City Seabrook.

defintely pricey but seeing as I was going to buy a 12 of celebration and a 4 of kbs, I dumped the kbs for this wee 12pk.

I hadn’t come across this before but a nice selection of everything from iPas to quad, to wee heavy to stouts. Nice.

AlcahueteJ and Davl22 like this.
  10. redbill

redbill Initiate (24) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

stumbled across a 4-pack of this today and bought it based solely on this random couple week old post from a stranger. can't wait to try it tonight, and hold you responsible if I don't like it.

11. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (516) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

And we never heard from them again...

SpauldingSmails and SABERG like this.
  12. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (393) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Saw that but at $5.50 a can for a light lager that’s a hard pass.

13. fortpointmarket

Hmmm, well we got it for $14.99 a 4pack at our store.

Also we're loving Idle Hands Brunhilda dunkel lager that hit the shop as of late. This and OEC Black lager are perfect for these sudden chilly days...

14. Jcorn

Trader

If only fort point market was closer to me... I’m in Watertown so it’s usually CBC Newton or Belmont for me.

fortpointmarket and Justin42 like this.
  15. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Worth the drive for the best beer program in Boston.

16. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (236) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Pre-order online. Easiest curbside delivery in the city.

Justin42 and fortpointmarket like this.
  17. nesarebad

Trader

I agree wholeheartedly, FPM is the only store I used to buy beer from when life was normal. Other than that, it was brewery only beer. I can’t wait to get back to the office and have a 10 minute walk down there.

kinopio and Justin42 like this.
  18. Marksniat

Marksniat Initiate (21) Jul 26, 2020 Vermont

Stopped at Foam in late August, the beer is excellent and the taproom is a bar.

BoodyBeer likes this.
  19. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (114) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

In Watertown too, but FPM curbside is so easy, prices are right and selection is great. CBC Belmont is way closer, but 90% of their stuff is warm. (maybe 80% with new location)

20. nesarebad

Trader

I thought the bar was the taproom. Huh...

21. dental

dental Devotee (433) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

i actually grabbed some more today (10/21 canning), along with some katie and their coffee coconut cream porter. disclosure: i've always been a big fan of the brewery. could have been a wee-bit of bias in my previous post lol.

i ventured over to total wine in braintree, they seemed to have an alright amount of born yesterday if anyone on the south shore is on the hunt for that still. i also grabbed a can of the bruery's S.H.I.T. ...which they apparently forgot to charge me for after looking at my receipt. pretty sure that was a $15-16 can. score!

Sheppard likes this.
  22. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (164) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Picked up a 6er of Von Trapp’s Bavarian Style Pilsner for Halloween, very crushable. I’d call it a good intro/crusher pils, in that it had only a touch of crackery goodness at the finish and really drank very close to a lager.

Another unsurprising win from VT.

23. Marksniat

Marksniat Initiate (21) Jul 26, 2020 Vermont

the place looks like a regular old bar to me. Not particularly dark or dreary.

24. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (177) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Surly in Burlington. Industrial Arts too. Both at 802BWS on North Ave.

25. AlcahueteJ

Society

Just my opinion, but a solid Pils should have than a touch of that bready/crackery malt character. The Pils malt flavor profile is a hallmark of the style.

Also, what do you mean it drinks very close to a lager? A Pils is a lager.

26. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (164) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Meant helles lager, example of why I shouldn’t post first thing in the morning.

And I hear ya, a good pils has a peppery cracker bite. I found Bavarian Pils to be light on those notes at the finish, and would be a good introductory pils.

27. Jcorn

Trader

Taking a look at it now but this buttery app won’t open on my phone or computer. And when I try to click download app it takes me to huge domains.com. Also can’t find it in the App Store.

28. fortpointmarket

Hey man are online link is here, https://www.fortpointmarketstore.com/ . Sorry about that.

MrEff and AlcahueteJ like this.
  29. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (486) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

case cost on this for a friend of mine at a store in Mass was 83ish I want to say; when you have something like this at Fort Point, do you intentionally go for a lower markup because of the style being less popular? I just ask because $14.99 on 83 case cost is like an 8% markup and most retailers cannot survive on that, that's macro 30 pack-esque.

30. fortpointmarket

There's a lot of factors involved with pricing and to an extent it can be because of less popular styles. It's too much to unravel. I wish a dozen breweries would lower cost on what they send here but I'm sure the distro involved has their own factors to it. It just sucks when you see a couple top notch breweries sit in stores and even not properly stored cold but to each their own...

GonzoHomebrewer and Trumpetguy like this.
  31. Jcorn

Trader

Thanks. Damn this looks dangerous. I’m in. Can I order now and just pickup tomorrow? Or same day only?

32. Jcorn

Trader

Nevermind. Answered my own question.

33. fortpointmarket

We let customers pick up till 2 weeks. Also we're now back to doing deliveries throughout Boston, Cambridge, Charlestown and Somerville.

If you want to pick my brain about beers then I'm always here.

AlcahueteJ, MrEff, Rysk22 and 2 others like this.
  34. robo55

robo55 Initiate (64) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

That’s an easy drive from Watertown. Barely need to get off 90.

35. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Initiate (89) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just moved from Metro West to the Melrose/Malden area. What are some solid beer shops in the area, with generally fresh inventory, aside from Kappy's? Thanks.

36. trevorpost

trevorpost Meyvn (1,384) Aug 3, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Rapid and Redstone in Stoneham were always my standbys. Malden Center Fine Wines just opened, and while I have not personally been yet since I've been preoccupied buying directly from the local breweries that I want to make sure stay afloat, it's the same ownership group as Ball Square Fine Wines which is highly regarded.

37. AlcahueteJ

Society

Yup, exactly this.

My choice would be Malden Center Fine Wines though. If they're anything like Ball Square they'll have a great selection, fresh refrigerated beer, knowledgeable staff, and will allow singles of anything in the store.

I walked by it a couple weeks ago too, beautiful store.

infectedlobster likes this.
  38. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Initiate (89) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. dental

dental Devotee (433) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Stopped by Kay’s in Braintree in search of the mackinaw KBS. They had it, also grabbed some schilling boniface and the possible last bottle of allagash ghoulschip. Was surprised and pumped to see that as I’ve never seen it in stores.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. Jcorn

Trader

I did wind up doing a curbside pickup order last week. Great experience, do recommend. Also great timing as they had a load of Adriot Theory. Is AT a one time drop or will that happen more often? Saw their beers pop up at several different places.

DucRacer900 and fortpointmarket like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.