Beer Bar and Beer Shop Finds (2020)

Discussion in 'New England' started by AlcahueteJ, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (204) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Dinner on tap at Monument in Charlestown.

2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,187) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Equilibrium Time is also on draft at Five Horses in Davis.

rhino88888888 and Trumpetguy like this.
  3. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (140) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

For those in the Merrimack Valley, One Stop in Haverhill is doing a sour sale (2 for $10). I picked up an Arboreal from Oxbow and a Wicked Weed brett beer. There were a bunch of brands represented besides Oxbow & WW: Epic, Avery, Transmitter, etc.

Davl22 and rhino88888888 like this.
  4. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (223) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

These kind of sales are one of the first things I look for in liquor stores.

5. mrmattosgood

Trader

my crowing achievement one time was being at a place with discounted singles doing like $10 six packs. I found six year “old” jacks abby framinghammers and won that transaction.

6. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,286) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’ve found discounted “old” lambics - that is definitely my favorite, but you don’t see it much.

7. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (270) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

ALMOST grabbed those exact two when I swung in on Wed. Def a great sale.

mrmattosgood likes this.
  8. mrmattosgood

Trader

I drank the WW last night. Not bad. Bottled in 2017. It's a brett beer, so it held up nicely, but it seemed a bit stale to me (I don't even know if that word makes sense here, but that's the one I used last night). It was probably a bit past its prime. Not a bad beer. I just think it probably has seen better days.

This is going to SHOCK people too, but I picked up a Cloud Candy from Mighty Squirrel (what a dumb brewery name). A friend is coming over to smoke some ribs and a venison meatloaf and he prefers hoppy stuff, but I had one and it was really good. Then I had another. But, man, I remember why I typically avoid that stuff. My stomach is rocked. Possible I have a slight hop allergy? Two beers shouldn't have done that to my stomach.

9. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (71) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I think they started out as some sort of protein beer brewery or something. I am not sure if that played into the name somehow but that is all I've got.

AirBob and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (272) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Check out my posts on Lisbon. There is some nice beer to be had but also you can get a pour of 20 year old port at like half the bars.

11. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (573) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Aww shit, give me all the 20 y.o. pours. Ports are the original "pastry stout"...

12. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (223) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ha- I already did! Thanks! Did you you come across any Cantillon in Lisbon? I think I have only had port once in my life, but am certainly interested to explore the terrior, food and traditions of Portugal.

13. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (272) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

I didn’t come across any cantillon, unfortunately.

14. Dave_32

Dave_32 Initiate (50) Apr 7, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Burlington Wine has 50/50 Eclipse bottles for $22.99. Picked up a bottle of German Chocolate cake.

15. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (337) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Dion's in Waltham has the prairie Christmas gift set that has 2 bomb 2 Christmas bomb and a really cool glass for $40 if i remember correctly. Really good value for great beers.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. mgp

mgp Initiate (97) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

A very belated thanks for your posts.

I was in Portugal for a week in October. We started in Porto and ended in Lisbon. By the time I got to Lisbon, I was ODing on wine & port and was really jonesing for a good beer. I found your posts and found some solid beers. There’s also a bottle shop in Lisbon called LIBEERDADE that is pretty great. I had a good IPA poured there and bought a couple of cans to go. Cheers!

17. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (132) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

You're just supposed to drink Sagres and super bock in Portugal. At least that's what I thought.

Flights to São Miguel are short and cheap outta Boston. Fun place to spend a week.

mgp and AlcahueteJ like this.
  18. buzzgirlfriendwoof

buzzgirlfriendwoof Initiate (34) Nov 7, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ipswich Zumatra Stout has been popping up on the north shore in a couple of places. They haven’t had it in a few years and it’s easily their best beer they make. $11 a 16oz 4pk, there isn’t a coffee stout out there that can touch it at that price. Also picked up a sixpoint master blend. I used to buy resin/bengali every once in a while but haven’t had them in years. Excellent BA stout, worth picking up.

SABERG, Trull and meefmoff like this.
  19. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (124) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

^^^this. All of this.

Thanks

20. AlcahueteJ

Better than their Oatmeal Stout?

lic217, meefmoff and Sheppard like this.
  21. buzzgirlfriendwoof

buzzgirlfriendwoof Initiate (34) Nov 7, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oatmeal stout is always great (especially when they put it on cask) but to me Zumatra is the best they have made. They never BA anything, but hopefully they think about doing it in the future.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  22. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (116) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Isn’t Zumatra just the oatmeal base plus Zumis coffee?
    The oatmeal is one of my desert island beers

AlcahueteJ and Sheppard like this.
  23. raenge

raenge Initiate (55) Dec 31, 2016 Rhode Island

Bissell dropped for what may be the first time in RI today. Went in to my local place saw two cases sitting on floor. Was at the register with a 4 pack of Substance in hand only to have the manager come running up to tell me “those aren’t for sale. They’re already spoken for.”

24. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (226) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's RI... Can't get anything done if you don't "know a guy"...

raenge likes this.
  25. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (116) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Pathetic approach by that store. Name and shame them - what a horrible business practice

kinopio, Sheppard, Trumpetguy and 3 others like this.
  26. jimmyfausto

jimmyfausto Initiate (49) Jul 28, 2014 Massachusetts

Picked up some fresh Mayflower 400 about 10 days ago, after I had a 3 month old Mayflower IPA that held up really well, and was really impressed.

It was as good as anything I've had recently from the hyped breweries around here. Hopefully they keep that one in the rotation, as their availability around me seems to be pretty good.

27. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,194) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Ditto. I had this beer last night and thought the same thing. Really impressed and literally said to myself I think I like it better than any Trillium IPA I can remember. Distinct hop profile – mainly pineapple coming through - with a smoothie like flavor that still finishes a touch dry (in a good way) and quenching for the style.

I love that we’re in a time now where I find I enjoy IPAs from non hyped breweries on shelves that I enjoy more than the hyped breweries with their own threads on this forum.

LukieBL and jimmyfausto like this.
  28. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (132) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

no comment regarding the spoken for BS, but they did a tap takeover at Bayberry Beer Hall, so I'm guessing it's related to that.

Re: Mayflower. I'm always a bit skeptical of their NEIPAs. Was not a fan of 399, but did like a number of their "lupulin" series or whatever it was called.

Love their porter, though. They're just a very solid brewery, through and through. A few standouts with most everything else being above average, or at least never bad.

29. AlcahueteJ

KBS Espresso on draft at Five Horses in Davis.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  30. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (573) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

I have a couple 4-packs picked up from the source just after Christmas sitting in my cold sun room (small beer fridge is full and not diminishing too quickly while I take it easy this month). One of them is yours if you want it, I'm generally in the Pawtucket to Warwick corridor every weekday then usually at one or two breweries at some point during the weekend. PM if interested...

31. mrmattosgood

Trader

Thread was sitting on 69 posts and I didn’t want to change that, so apologies. Wondering if anyone has seen Notch Kolsch or Oxbow lager around? They might fit nicely into my weekend plans.

TheMattJones88 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  32. AlcahueteJ

Haha, nice.

I'm very proud to be the owner of the 69th post.

I think those would fit nicely into any plans.

I'll be sure to post when I see the Notch Kölsch, please do the same.

33. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (313) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Lulu's in Allston has SARA Saison Bernice on draft. Very nice to see. Hopefully occasional SARA kegs are a regular thing in Boston.

kinopio, Ryanwithacomb and AlcahueteJ like this.
  34. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (90) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

CBC Belmont has it, so I'm assuming others do or will start to. Planning on grabbing some today.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  35. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (270) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Leary’s in Amesbury said Kolsch is dropping today. One Stop in Haverhill said next week.

mrmattosgood and AlcahueteJ like this.
  36. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (640) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Weihenstephaner Vitus Weizenbock is currently on tap @ Magoun's in Somerville. Definitely paying a visit this weekend.

rhino88888888 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

Not sure how much you check their tap list (I check it weekly), but Vitus has been on tap for quite some time. So even if you can't make it for some reason, it should be there next weekend too.

38. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (119) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

The owner of Olde Magoun's Saloon has opened a new craft beer bar in Medford called Longcross Bar & Kitchen. I don't see a tap list on their website, but the early checkins on Untappd look good. It is located in Station Landing, right across the river from Assembly Row - very close to Nightshift, Bone Up and Idle Hands.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2020/01/08/longcross-bar-medford-open/

tylerk88, Trumpetguy and AlcahueteJ like this.
  39. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (640) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Thx - don't check it too often, but I was planning to go at some point this weekend and checked out the website.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. AlcahueteJ

He's a nice guy who seems to get it. I have faith this will be a solid bar. You can usually see him hanging out at the bar during their Oktoberfest events.

rhino88888888 likes this.