Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer Bars in Boston

Discussion in 'New England' started by durk_dye, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durk_dye

durk_dye Jun 25, 2013 Maryland

Heading to Boston for the 4th of July. Which bars should I hit for solid craft beer? I am an IPA/Double IPA drinker, but like to try all kinds of craft beer. Thanks.

2. brikelly

brikelly Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Lord Hobo, Deep Ellum, Publick House, Sunset Grill, Cambridge Brewing Company, Asgard, Bukowski's.

pjl44, DerekMorgan and tehzachatak like this.
  3. djlump

djlump Feb 3, 2013 Massachusetts

I would hit up Davis square in Somerville there are a few bars in one block like Redbones, Five horses, Foundry on elm, and The Painted burro

4. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

/thread

5. Auror

Auror Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Cambridge/Somerville
    Lord Hobo
    Atwood’s Tavern
    Redbones
    Cambridge Common
    Meadhall
    Russell House Tavern
    Green Street
    Bukowski Tavern
    The Asgard
    Olde Magoun’s Saloon
    Flatbread Company @ Sacco’s

Allston/Brighton/Brookline
    Publick House
    Deep Ellum
    Sunset Grill & Tap
    The Avenue
    Hops ‘n Scotch
    The Abbey

Back Bay/Kenmore
    Salty Pig
    Lower Depths
    Eastern Standard
    Parish Cafe
    Yard House
    Island Creek Oyster House
    Cornwall’s
    Bukowski Tavern

Downtown/South End
    Picco
    jm Curley
    Saus
    Stoddard’s Fine Food & Ales
    Local 149
    Kinsale
    Jacob Wirth
    Tip Tap Room
    Coda

Now we can /thread

6. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Jan 20, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

If you're picking one, I would say Lord Hobo only for the fact that Brookline (Publick House!!) gets so jammed. Sunset Grill and Tap is amazing as well, however its well down the green line in Allston. Can't go wrong with Lord Hobo.

7. nick1257

nick1257 Mar 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Brick and mortar in central.

8. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

What he said. I would also add Meadhall to that list because it's down the street from CBC and Lord Hobo

9. rjp217

rjp217 Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Mead Hall is amazing, agreed.

10. sudzweasel

sudzweasel Apr 2, 2002 Rhode Island

The best beer in the entire city IMO is Cambridge Brewing Company. Hands down. From there you can walk 3 blocks in one direction and go to Meadhall or go the other way 3 blocks to Lord Hobo.

11. rawlus

rawlus Sep 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Last time I was at lord hobo, the glasses smelled and tasted like dishwasher detergent.... Maybe that was a fluke? And I think CBC is pretty good beer wise, but I'm not sure it deserves the hype it gets. The venue ambiance is merely average IMHO.. I think deep ellum has a better vibe. I also like stoddards and JM Curleys and I think the food of these three is of higher standard than CBC.

12. BillCastle

BillCastle Jun 30, 2007 Massachusetts

You forgot.

Jamaica Plain/West Roxbury

Canary Square (30 beers on tap, same owners as Salty Pig)
    Brendan Behans
    Centre Street Sanctuary
    Milky Way
    Galway House (cheapest craft beer in Boston, $4.25 BBC)
    Vee Vee (very pretentious, but an eclectic rotating draft)
    James Gate
    Eugene O'Neils
    Porter Cafe

kinopio and Auror like this.
  13. kinopio

kinopio Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It truly is the cheapest. I had a pint of Newburyport Wit there the other week for $4. Notch and Clown Shoes Clementine have been $3, pints of Storm King for $5.50 I think. Love that place.

14. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Where's the best place an out-of-towner could get a variety of tasty lambic/gueuze/sours on draft?

15. Auror

Auror Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sours on draft is tricky. Most places stockpile their high end stuff for events like Zwanze Day, etc. You might be able to find bottles of things at a few places. Most of the places with a lot of taps will have at least one "common" gueuze, like St. Louis or whatever.

Clonies720 and braineater like this.
  16. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

That'll work. As long as I'm drinking beer I can't get in Texas, I'm golden. Thanks for the tip.

17. pjl44

pjl44 Oct 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Assuming their tap lists are current, Lord Hobo has Lambickx, Deep Ellum has St. Louis, and Publick House has Boon Oud Kriek and Petrus Oud Bruin. I think each place has a Berliner Weiss of some sort on as well.

18. Jennille

Jennille Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts

Olde Magoun's Saloon in Somerville has the Duchesse De Bourgogne Flemish on draught which is a goodie. An interesting selection in addition.. not sure if your stay is over but figured I would five my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe