Beer Bars Waterbury to Hill Farmstead

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jbrews, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (294) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Hey BA's

Heading north for before opening at the Alchemist, Warren store, lunch, then making the trek to Hill Farm.

I forgot both Pro Pig and Res don't open until late during the week. We're looking for somewhere to stop for some hill farm or heady and good eats between the Alchemist, Warrens and Hill Farmstead around noon-1 Thursday. Someone with a decent lunch menu would be great not just a pizza joint.

Any help appreciated.

Thank

2. pjs234

pjs234 Zealot (544) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

HRamz3, dunix and sandman3479 like this.
  3. Jbrews

Perfect! Forgot I had heard about that!

4. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

If you're coming from MA, I would suggest starting at the Warren Store, hitting The Alchemist, then stopping by Blackback Pub for lunch and beers. They usually have Lawsons, HF, Lost Nation, and plenty of others available. Then hit up Lost Nation and/or Rock Art on your way to HF.

CTJman and averagjoe3 like this.
  5. Jbrews

I'll take any outher suggestions too!

6. Jbrews

I'm also curious with the Farmers Market last weekend what they will have for delivery and anyone know "roughly" what time they usually deliver?

7. AdamsDTD

Usually in the morning sometime. I've gotten there about 10-10:30 and the delivery had been made already. The last time I went was Double Sunshine, and they sold out by 11am.

8. Jbrews

Ok cool, We can probably be at the Warren Store by 10:30. I think you are correct on the order. I suppose there might be a bit of a wait when we get back to the Alchemist but I doubt they would sell out on a thursday early morning.

9. AdamsDTD

I've never waited more than 15-20 minutes at Alchemist. If you're at Warren by 10:30, you can make it to Alchemist by 11:30 (only 30 min after they open). Might be a bit of a wait at HF by the time you get there, but who knows? I've been at HF on a Thursday and waited an hour in line, but other times only waited 10 minutes. If you aren't in a rush, HF is a great way to end a day trip.

10. Jbrews

Is best route to just head to the 100 exit and go south. I've stayed in Waitsfield a few time and I feel like taking the exit further south at 107 just takes forever to go north to the Warren area.

11. AdamsDTD

Are you coming from Boston, or will you be in VT already?

12. Jbrews

Boston area...Watertown to Waterbury

Edit: Not Alchemist exit....100B and go south

13. AdamsDTD

If you go to the Warren Store first, I take 89 north, and get off on exit three and take 107 to 100.

14. Jbrews

Ok cool, thats how I used to go to Waitsfield but I always thought that seemed like so much back roads. But I suppose there isn't much traffic up there.

15. franklinn

franklinn Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Vermont

Blackback is open for lunch and generally has the most HF and Lawsons on tap at any given time. Not always, but usually. I THINK they stock heady cans as well (no kegs) but I'm not sure.

cfrances33 and CTJman like this.
  16. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (161) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I second the recommendation for Lost Nation. Limited menu but very good, nice atmosphere and their brews are excellent. I'd add the Crop Bistro and Brewery in Stowe. In the former digs of the Shed, and still receiving flack for not being the Shed. But the Crop has a first class restaurant and food service in the bar (more upscale than Lost Nation in the dining room, similar in the bar), and the beers are an under-appreciated find. Open at 11:30 daily. Can't recommend going to Blackback Pub for food or drink.

17. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I went to Crop recently and was not impressed, food or beer. Piecasso's in Stowe has a decent tap list and is not just pizza. If you enjoy lagers, Trapp in Stowe is a decent little Austrian Deli kinda place.

18. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Agree on Crop's beer, thankfully they had Edward on draft while I was there.

19. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

I loved it there - great tacos and solid taplist.

20. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 New York
    Beer Trader

I loved the Blackback and the Mad Taco's are excellent. Another possibility - Parker Pie is 25 minutes past Hill Farmstead and has more than just pizza on their menu and a fine tap list. I wish I had enough time last Thursday to stop. It's an option if you would be OK with a later lunch. By the way, there were only 3 people in line with me last Thursday at Hill Farmstead when I arrived around 2:30pm.

http://parkerpie.com/

21. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

No love for Positive Pie in Hardwick? Yes, its pizza but not some greasey pizza place, its pretty damn good! Oh, and the beer selecting ain't bad either.

millerbuffoon and polishkaz like this.
  22. AColossalJerk

AColossalJerk Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

These threads always make me sad/angry I'm not in northern Vermont at the very moment I'm reading these threads. God I love it up there.

millerbuffoon likes this.
  23. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Crusader (700) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Additional support for Lost Nation for beer(Gose on the left, Vermont Pilsner on the right). I recommend their Saison, but these were both good as well. And on top of that you can't beat the price, I think these were $4/pint. I didn't eat there, but others have recommended the food.

[​IMG]

HRamz3 likes this.
  24. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (382) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Parker Pie for me.

25. yasky

yasky Disciple (367) Dec 21, 2008 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I figure everybody already knows about Waterbury.

I like to hit Positive Pie on the way back down from Hill Farmstead. Tap list is often better than what they have posted online. This past summer I got lucky and made it the day after a Hill Farmstead takeover and 6 Hill's were still on tap.

26. Jbrews

Scored a few Lawsons Triple Play IPA at the warren store as well as a little heady. Triple play was the only Lawsons that was delivered. It did not last long. We timed it perfect.

Next we hit the Alchemist and got our tastings and 1 case. Still 1 case limit.

Made our way around town and there was PLENTY of heady available at different stores. Some had case limits some did not. We did not over indulge but we made our trip worth it with some extra on top of our case from the cannery. Thursday is the first time I've seen it all over Waterbury no problem in every store that carries it.

Decided to eat at Balckback/Mad Taco. Bar tender was cool shit and the food was great. Love the hot sauces. Edward was on tap along with a few others.

Last but not least we headed to Hill Farm and as mentioned before there was only 3 people in line. At one point it was just us and we shot the shit with them for quite some time in the yard. The only downer was Abner had kicked. But we took home plenty of Edward, Double Citra and Everett. Easy in and out. Not very hard to find but quite remote.

All in all I have been to the area on several days but Thursday in the fall was by far the easiest tme we ever have scoring a good haul of brews to take home and enjoy.

Stokeed

AdamsDTD likes this.
  27. Msudukie

Msudukie Disciple (319) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Can I ask what time you got to the Warren store? Also, when you have seen HT at stores around town which ones have they typically been? Like you, I am hoping to do the Lawson's, HT, HF run with a little extra HT beyond the 1 case limit.

28. MarkF150

MarkF150 Aspirant (270) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Can I ask why you wouldnt recommend the Blackback for food or drink? All of the best VT breweries on tap and the addition of Mad Taco is just the icing on the cake.

29. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (161) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Food- They don't do food. Food from Mad Taco, bartender from Pluto. Want to know if there's something without onion, go to Pluto. [Go to Mad Taco, Waitsfield- still can't avoid onion but they can talk to you about it, and the beer selection is better than Blackback and half the price]. Drink- Guess the price. Drink menu has wonderful beers, all at the same price. Guess what size pour you'll get. Got a pour that was 4 oz at best. Bartender from Pluto says they try to charge the same dollar amount for each drink and set their pour size accordingly, which I suspect was a lie to cover for no clean glasses in the right size. Later customers got larger pours in the fresh glasses. Meanwhile Pluto recommended the businessmen next to us buy $12, 6 oz Alllagash Whites. Yeah I hear "Oh my god Lawsons "____" [fill in the blank with whatever is on tap everywhere else that's got Lawson's]; Oh my God Hill Farmstead [see above]; Oh my God Heady [except the even-driver bar next door does $5 cans]. I found Blackback to be an uncomfortable dive without any of those charms usually associated with local joints. Just full of themselves, overpriced, deceptive, and ignorant of their own business [IMHO].

30. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (382) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sean usually makes his delivery around 9:30-10am on Thursday mornings. Sometimes a little later. WS typically gets around 20 cases and sells out in the couple hours following. If you're there around 10am you should be fine. Grabbing a cup of coffee and a pastry goes a long way with staff and locals who are just chilling.

Pacing around the cooler in a cold sweat will draw some looks. Just be cool.

Not sure how much Heady WS gets, but there was still some kicking around when I arrived last Thursday morning. Think 2 4pk limit?

31. Msudukie

Msudukie Disciple (319) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the information and advice. I am driving about 6 hours each way so this is very helpful. I will probably get there a bit early but will make sure to hide my cold sweat!

32. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Arriving at 11 or 12 will be fine too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.