Beer Bloat/Gas - how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by runpmc007, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runpmc007

runpmc007 Initiate (67) Jul 6, 2011 Massachusetts

Serious questions, and I know everyone's body chemistry is different, but for those affected how do you deal with the bloat/gas? I don't mean a beer belly from consuming too much beer fwiw.

Usually after even one beer, whether Tree House or Miller Lite or a sour beer, I'll get a distended stomach or else plenty of gas. I never noticed it much in college but I typically drink more wine than beer nowadays, so when I do have a couple beers on the deck during the weekend it'll come on like clockwork. It's minor discomfort but still annoying.

I find a few sips of Fernet Branca (italian digestif) solves the problem, but I'd prefer not to chase good beer with a digestif lol.

Fwiw I'm in good shape, drink tons of water and have a solid diet, so it's not like I'm a couch potato whose metabolism is screwed up.

Anyone else have any tips or ways to cope?

Mista_Carta and tylerstubs like this.
  2. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,169) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

I find farting and/or burping helps.

Perhaps preloading with Gas-X or some other over the counter remedy would be preferable to the digestif chaser?

3. cg123

cg123 Initiate (101) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“Beer AID® and its proprietary digestive enzyme formula, works in the small intestine to break apart malt sugars from beer, making them more digestible. Especially today's big, sweet, craft beers.

Just take a couple of Beer AID® capsules before each beer and you, and your entire household, will be much happier for it!”

FWIW the Beer AID product sounds a lot like Beano to me.

Cheers!

5. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (146) Feb 5, 2010 New York

6. phillyhops

phillyhops Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey

I physically cant even burp for some reason...it just builds up until I pass out

Shroud0fdoom and Urk1127 like this.
  7. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Aspirant (247) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

I haven't found a solution to this problem yet, but certain beers definitely contribute to the problem. Imperial Stouts seem to be the worst offenders, most likely due to the amount of sugar.

Would love to hear how others may have solved this problem.

8. goldenhopdevil

goldenhopdevil Initiate (97) Jul 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I think the fact that you do have a good diet actually hurts you in this regard. Since graduating from college and really locking down my diet, I'm far more sensitive to huge beers with lots of residual sugar than I was when my diet was garbage.

I think it's similar to cutting out fast food. When you're eating it on a regular basis it doesn't jack up your stomach, but if you cut it out of your diet and then eat a Big Mac after six months you're definitely going to feel it.

9. runpmc007

Great points!

10. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Disciple (335) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio

I've noticed lately that if I have even just one beer (my normal, I VERY rarely have two), the next morning my stomach gurgles a lot. I've been wondering what I can do as well.

11. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico

I normally don't get a lot of gas from beers. But I do start sweating.

12. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

Pull my finger :slight_smile:

13. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,052) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The counter-action is pickled eggs, sauerkraut, and Vienna sausages.
    The OTC gas pills work wonders.

MarshallBirdhouse likes this.
  14. marquis

marquis Crusader (799) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

When you have passed wind, give the person next to you a strong glare.

15. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,436) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Blame the dog works in our house.

16. emount91

emount91 Devotee (426) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

i get some bloating, no gas though. and definitely not after only having 1.

i start to experience this after about 3, but by then my buzz comes on so i dont really care at that point.

the beer belly is what I struggle with... ugh.

17. Vnaald

Vnaald Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

I was told by someone, who was told from a beer rep, to pour your beer straight down the middle of the glass. This will create a lot of head and carbonation and will take a while to dissipate, not what many beer drinkers want, but he explained that if you don't do that ahead of time it'll have to find its way out in burps or gas eventually.

crob3888 likes this.
  18. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,320) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I dont do anything i just suffer lol. Its like gas build up in my chest and throat usually if i drink a pils or helles on an empty stomach ill be done.

19. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

20. Caveworm

Caveworm Savant (916) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

ah, just let nature take its course; no sense in resisting it. besides, drinking's about kickin' back & unwinding. if whomever is that judgemental about naturally occurring bodily functions, then perhaps he or she needs to lighten up and let you do you.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  21. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Aspirant (247) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

For me it's got nothing to do with the folks around me, but rather with my own discomfort. If I could just let a big one go and be done for the night, I'd be all for it.

Mista_Carta and Caveworm like this.
  22. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (331) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I've read that if you drink regularly enough, it contributes to an imbalance of a particular gut bacteria that proliferates on "beer," and makes you bloat up and not really burp or pass gas because it's moved beyond your stomach at that point. Maybe start taking a probiotic.

I don't suffer from this myself or take probiotics, just some articles I've read.

kliend likes this.
  23. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (448) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

These are great recommendations, after consuming be sure to suck down 6+ different lambics and go to bed in a small room without much air circulation with your S/O.

rgordon likes this.
  24. cmurkar

cmurkar Initiate (103) Apr 21, 2016 California

Never really feel anything until the next morning. Usually comes out all at once after a nice fart. Most satisfying feeling in the world imo.

25. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Savant (936) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Epazote ( Dysphania ambrosioides [formerly Chenopodium ambrosioides]) helps with gas from beans. Maybe beer too?
    http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/spanishterms/g/Epazote.htm

"..so it's not like......whose metabolism is screwed up." ?
    Maybe, maybe not. Re the microbiota, you don't really know, unless you get it tested, & maybe not even then. There's a lot of uncharted territory there.

26. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,052) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Or, as my brother in law says, "I just like to share."

Wolfhead, Shroud0fdoom and emount91 like this.
  27. emount91

paid more attention last night since I went out to the bar with a buddy and had a few: i just burp all night, that must be why I dont experience discomfort.

28. emount91

that response is pure gold. tell your brother-in-law that I'm stealing that.

meefmoff and rgordon like this.
  29. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (167) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

As my girlfriend can attest.......

cmurkar and emount91 like this.
  30. NoYouDidnt

NoYouDidnt Zealot (554) Feb 15, 2015 Indiana
    Trader

What happens if you drink a lot of anything with a meal, is you end up diluting the acids that are supposed to digest the food and they can't do their job. Then you can't really digest anymore, now all that stuff actually spoils/rots in your belly and intestine causing some strong build up of gas, some acid reflux perhaps, and maybe a painful morning routine. ive started limiting to just one beer if with a meal, or just eating a really small amount like a salad or nothing at all, if I plan to have 2-3 beers.also thinking about what you're eating matters too. My wife finally got me converted to a vegetarian. That change has absolutely fixed my problems like what you're having. No more constipation, heart burn, gas build up(either end).
    Also instead of a regular breakfast in the morning(bacon, eggs, toast, cereal, pancakes) we always eat fruit. That helps my body start fresh and keeps yesterday's food moving out.

#30 NoYouDidnt, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    emount91 likes this.
  31. Caveworm

Caveworm Savant (916) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

ah, i gotcha now. that used to happen to me as I first started with "big" beers, but not so much these days unless I JUST ate a fairly big meal & drink at a 4-swigs-and-it's-gone pace.

32. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

33. Qbdoo

Qbdoo Devotee (431) Sep 1, 2013 Illinois

Try sipping about 2oz of decent hard liquor like scotch, bourbon, or especially brandy or cognac. Whenever I'm bloated, whether from beer or food, just a drop of good booze brings relief.

34. michman

michman Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

i used to have issues like that and not only concerning beer. i some type of probiotic would help. i started eating yogurt in the mornings and that helps me out in general w stomach issues.

riverlen likes this.
  35. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,774) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I usually get the upset stomach in the morning after having high abv stouts, usually after going to the bathroom and eating something I feel fine.

36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,429) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I just let it go. What's wrong with that?

lester619 and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  37. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,216) Jan 2, 2001 Ontario (Canada)

Let 'em rip, problem solved.

runpmc007 likes this.
  38. runpmc007

Any logic or science to more (or less) hops equal more bloat/gas? Or malt?

39. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Aspirant (270) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Some beer drinkers have a problem with Light beers. I cannot drink any light beers .

40. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

You're going to fart sometimes. It's natural. Embrace it.

surfcaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.