Beer Books: Reading Sugg

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rmpic82, May 15, 2017.

1. rmpic82

rmpic82 Initiate (128) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Beer Trader

Hey, all. Pretty new into my infatuation for beer (late bloomer) but when I commit I tend to go deep. Obviously a great place to start for beer literature is BA, but also seeking out an in-depth book on a variety of topics. Brew history, styles, barrel aging and blending, etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion for reading materials? The book can be incredibly specific, or a general outlook on all...new or old.

I am specifically interested in beefing up my knowledge (and eventually experience) where I am most week, sours and lambics and the like. Thanks for your time, consideration and hopefully suggestions. Cheers!

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (818) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Any book by Michael Jackson
    Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher
    Travels with Barley by Ken Wells. It's about American beer culture.
    Beer Blast by Philip Van Munching. Written by an insider it's about the beer business.

3. rmpic82

Beer Trader

Thanks!

4. Moradin

Moradin Initiate (170) Jul 7, 2016 New York

I was given as a gift Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher (https://www.amazon.com/Tasting-Beer-2nd-Insiders-Greatest/dp/1612127770) and found it a very good book.
    It describes history, tasting notes, beer styles, pairing, glassware, pretty much everything, good amount of details too.
    Not sure what happened with the new edition, but probably caught up with the new trends in beer I guess

Leebo and rmpic82 like this.
  5. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,171) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Can't think of a better place to start, especially his earlier works/editions.

6. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,608) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

If you think you might get into homebrewing I'll recommend How To Brew by John Palmer. Even if you don't think that you'll homebrew it would give you great insight about how beer is brewed.

I picked up a copy of Total Guide to Beer from a Total Wine store, and I was impressed with the amount of information inside that FREE 200 page booklet. If you have a Total Wine store nearby, go get one of those.

7. scream

scream Aspirant (268) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Charlie Papazian's books on homebrewing were how I learned

The_Kriek_Freak and Leebo like this.
  8. moshea

moshea Devotee (407) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

CaptainHate and Samlover55 like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,683) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

“…also seeking out an in-depth book on a variety of topics. Brew history, styles, barrel aging and blending, etc.”

If you are truly looking for “in-depth” on a variety of topics the book you want is The Oxford Companion to Beer which was edited by Garrett Oliver. It is essentially an encyclopedia on beer with over 800 pages.

Cheers!

sharpski, dennis3951 and rmpic82 like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,866) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

For me an important part of my beer journey has also been understanding beer and food.

Garret Oliver's Brewmster's Table is an excellent place to begin.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=brewmasters+table&sprefix=brewmasters,aps,136&crid=175VBRL4FDTLP

Then for dealing with the similarities and differences between pairing beer and wine with food the Calgaione Olds book is a great read because both authors have lots of the right credentials.

https://www.amazon.com/Said-Beer-Sh...8&qid=1494865411&sr=8-1&keywords=beer+he+said

Enjoy your journey!

#10 drtth, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  11. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,005) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

"Evaluating Beer" from Brewers Publications, and to echo Mothergoose03, if you're thinking about trying your hand at brewing (and I think you should), "Brewing Lager Beer" by Greg Noonan.

rmpic82 likes this.
  12. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,027) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Definitely pick up tasting beer, it's a must read. I'd also say brewmasters table, and if you're ordering online add vintage beer, my copy was under $4 on Amazon and is worth looking at.

Leebo and rmpic82 like this.
  13. zid

zid Crusader (743) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

The new edition featured science updates, new beer trends, corrections, a rewritten chapter on beer and food pairings, etc.

Scott17Taylor likes this.
  14. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Champion (878) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

15. marquis

marquis Crusader (707) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Ron Pattinson ( @patto1ro ) has written many books based on research of tens of thousands of brewing records over the last 200 or more years.
    Too many books from other writers have been written without the benefits of thorough research and simply regurgitate material from other literature : even the Oxford Guide contained some utter garbage because of this.

LeRose, Mothergoose03 and rmpic82 like this.
  16. Scott17Taylor

Beer Trader

Is the new edition that different from the original? I was wondering if it's worth upgrading for $15.

17. zid

Beer Trader

I don't have either edition, but Randy Mosher mentioned the items in my post in an interview and I thought I'd pass on the info.

Scott17Taylor likes this.
  18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Savant (975) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Craft Beer and Brewing magazine is pretty rad. Each issue highlights a specific style, has tasting notes of several examples, goes into homebrewing, and highlights different brewers and beer centric cities. Its not a book, but it's a favorite read for me.

sharpski and rmpic82 like this.
  19. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,041) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

The reading can be dry, I have read most of the technical books as part of my head first immersion into this hobby. But I have to say you need to step back every now and then and get some perspective. The Perfect Keg is a pretty good read. It is basically about a guy who grew/malted his own barley, grew hops (I think, or got them from someone who lived by him) and used a bastardized version of a sourdough starter he purposely contaminated with wild yeast close to his house. Good read

20. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,608) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

Wow! The 'Mass Market' price on that book must include a keg of the beer. ;) The book looks like a good read, so I'm going to order a copy. (The version without the keg.)

21. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (42) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The Brewer's Tale: A History of the World According to Beer is a pretty interesting read. Basically starts in ancient Egypt and works its way through time discussing beer's influence on that era and history of different beer styles. The author also brews a batch for each chapter/style. I enjoyed it a lot and learned a lot about beer history.

Samlover55 likes this.
  22. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (119) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Also go to the source, got some local brewers/brew pubs near you? Beer tours? Etc. Most really love to talk shop. Got a good beer store near you?

23. Scott17Taylor

Beer Trader

Ok just thought I'd check. I wasn't really sure how much of that book needed updated.

24. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (150) Nov 7, 2015 California

Grab yourself a copy of The Practical Brewer. It might be an older text but it essentially tells you everything you need to know to make beer.

Forget all these stupid subjective coffee table books. The Practical Brewer is the one to learn.

25. Scott17Taylor

Beer Trader

What's everyone's opinion on the beer bible? I'm about to do an amazon order and need to get my price up for shipping.

sharpski likes this.
  26. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (606) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

Except there are some terrible articles in the OCB. All the articles written by Horst Dornbusch are total crap. There are plenty of excellent articles, too. Problem is working out what you should believe and what you shouldn't.

rmpic82 likes this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Ron, that is true of any piece of writing (books, articles, blogs,...).

I have yet to read any non-fiction book that I thought was 'perfect'.

Cheers!

Jack

rmpic82 likes this.
  28. rmpic82

Beer Trader

But aren't books a lot like the internet...? If it's in writing it has to be true (and useful)?

Good follow-up, thanks!

zekeman17 and JackHorzempa like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

I was considering using the term of "internet" in my post but I decided to go with "blogs" instead. just because a person puts something in a blog does not necessarily equate to "fact".

Cheers!

30. zid

Beer Trader

If you are interested in a book that is essentially write ups on the various styles then it's a good choice.

31. RHBIII

RHBIII Aspirant (213) May 17, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I go to Barnes and noble and I get all the beer magazines they have.

32. patto1ro

Subscriber

But some bits of the OCB are so appallingly bad it's more than just the odd small mistake.

33. seth27

seth27 Initiate (151) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Brewed Awakening is a good one I haven't seen mentioned yet. It goes through the craft beer movement of the last 20 years or so and highlights a few beers in particular along the way.

34. zid

Beer Trader

BTW @patto1ro , The Beer Bible seems to be aware of your work.

35. teromous

teromous Meyvn (1,270) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  36. patto1ro

Subscriber

Unless it's in my blog. :)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe