Beer Bread Recipies

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Duesler, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duesler

Duesler (0) Oct 30, 2012 Connecticut

I have made beer bread so many times, and every time it comes out awfully. Does anyone have a good recipie that they use?

Also: what beers have you found to work best?

2nd also: is it ever appropriate to add ingredients to pair with the beer? (Ie chocolate chips with a stout)

2. drtth

drtth (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

My basic rules are:

No beer in yeast breads, only in breads with self-rising flour or quick breads with baking soda and baking powder.
    Needs a reasonable amount of sugars.
    Helps to have some whole wheat flour.

As for beers, no IPAs or other hoppy beers, even with sugar added they don't work well.

Never tried chocolate chips with a porter or stout but in a quick bread which is mixed and not kneaded, its worth a try to see how it works out.

inchrisin and BeerKangaroo like this.
  3. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I've made a few and they came out great. Just recipes I found on line ,the only thing I did different was to bake them in a preheated cast iron skillet. Gives it a nice crunchy crust and comes out more like an artisan bread .

Flashy and drtth like this.
  4. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo (0) Feb 12, 2012 Canada (BC)

5. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 (0) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/first-beer-bread-try.29054/#post-360836

Couple in here. I don't know bread well so I can't comment on replacing the water in a yeast recipe. However, quick breads are insanely easy and beg for other ingredients. On that thread I made a "trail mix" holiday porter bread that was solid. Agree with others that anything hoppy will definitely be more difficult to integrate.

6. Bierlerner

Bierlerner (0) Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

What kind of breads? Pumpkin, banana nut, jalapeno cheddar....?

Here's one I did. Rather simple and earthy. Jalapeno cheddar bread. I've added bacon to once too. Turned out fantastic too.

Ingredients:
    2.25 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp chili powder
    3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
    1-1.5 cups of fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese (I love cheese)
    2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and diced
    12oz of amber ale (room temp)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a bread pan with butter and set aside.
    In a large bowl, sift in the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and chili powder. Set aside.
    In another large bowl, add in the melted butter, beer, diced jalapenos and cheddar cheese.
    Add all the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, a third at a time, mixing between with a spatula until just incorporated. Pour the dough into the bread pan. Smooth out the top just a tad. And top with a little more grated cheese.
    Place in oven and bake for 45min, or until a knife inserted in the center of bread comes out clean.

breeq, inchrisin and FondueVoodoo like this.
  7. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

Once tried an IPA in a bread, it turned out awful, never again. I usually just give my wife a brown, a porter or a stout, they'll usually turn out to be the best. Nuttier Reds and some ESB's can do the trick, but if you stick to any nuttier or roastier beers, you shouldn't go wrong.

8. Bierlerner

Bierlerner (0) Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

Usually with IPAs the hops and bitterness goes to the crust and creates something very undesirable. I learned that the hard way too. lol

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  9. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Yup, I learned the hard way too.

10. rainfairy

rainfairy (0) Nov 21, 2005 California

Bringing this back in time for the season. I have a recipe for Chocolate Stout Bread (loaf bread, more like cake). BUT... I drank the stouts with chocolate. I still have a few imperial/russian stouts and am debating whether to use w00tstout, Parabola, or Speedway. I'd like to keep Black Butte XXV and White Chocolate a while longer. Although White Chocolate is very tempting, it is an ale. I guess this is more of an update than a question since the oven is heating up right now and I am about to start mixing.
    I'll let you know which one I used and how it turns out!

As far as "bready" breads go- I like to use a heavier sugar like molasses or brown. I'd have to find the recipe I've used.

11. kenpo23

kenpo23 (0) Oct 8, 2009 Massachusetts

Why? And I don't mean that in a "what the hell's wrong with you" kinda way... would really like to know your feelings on this.

12. drtth

drtth (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sure, mostly personal preference.

Having tried including beer in several different quick bread and slow rise yeast bread recipes I've found that I like the results with quick breads because the beer can make a great liquid, coloring and flavoring agent. However, with the yeast breads I prefer a long slow rise before even kneading and making the loaves. And if I'm doing a sourdough I actually don't want the flavor from the beer. Also, as a creature of habit, unless I'm using a lot of whole wheat and/or rye flour the color always seems off.

13. kenpo23

kenpo23 (0) Oct 8, 2009 Massachusetts

Never thought about it before but now that you mentioned it none of my yeast bread recipes that include beer have too long of a rise....interesting. I'm with ya though on the whole wheat or rye...if that's not in it I'm not putting beer in it usually. Don't get me wrong I love a basic beer bread/quickbread but I'm a sucker for a yeast loaf with whole wheat in it. Just made one the other day and put some Southern Tier Warlock in it. :slight_smile:

14. wavingsnail

wavingsnail (0) Oct 14, 2013 California

I make a sweet beer bread with old Rasputin. I add a touch of cinnamon to the dough, and top the unbaked loaf (once in the pan) with melted butter, a bit of brown sugar, and chopped candied walnuts or pecans.

I usually make it on holidays or for holiday parties, and it usually disappears within an hour or so.

I've also used rogue chocolate stout, but I prefer raspy.

15. Marshall_ofmcap

Marshall_ofmcap (0) Jul 17, 2013 Colorado

75% bread flour
    10% pumpernickel
    15% rolled oats
    68% dark beer (I used Black Butte boiled off alcohol and CO2)
    5% yeast
    2% salt

there is the base, you can play with numbers if you want. I added pumpkin and other seeds.

soak oats in all the beer over night and add the whole mess. Hydrate, kneed, rise as per usual. bake at 375 till done, let cool and eat

16. Stugotzo

Stugotzo (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

That adds up to 175%. I want you on my team if you're always giving that.

inchrisin likes this.
  17. Marshall_ofmcap

everything is weighed against the flour. Flour equals 100% then 68% that weight is added to the flour in water (beer)...

above is written in bakers percents.

here is in metric

750 g bread flour
    100 g pumpernickel
    150 g rolled oats
    680 g water (beer)
    50 g yeast
    20 g salt

18. Stugotzo

Stugotzo (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

19. Marshall_ofmcap

I can try to upload the excel sheet I have for it. that will allow to change the batch size and it will automaticly change ingredient amount

20. Marshall_ofmcap

Edit: add 100 g mole-asses and about the same honey

21. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I made some awesome Beer Bread yesterday using just the basic ingredients and a SN Stout. It was a little bitter around the crust, but the inside was moist and deliciously malty. My fiancee and I loved it.

Now I'm wondering, does anyone have a beer flat bread recipe? Something like naan, that has a stretchy consistency to it, that I can pan-cook, or bake in think sheets.

22. DavidK

DavidK (0) Aug 31, 2013 Illinois

Central waters had a great recipe on their website

23. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Buy this:
    [​IMG]
    Follow instructions and in my opinion, put in Rogue's Chipotle Ale.

All I have to say is wow!

24. Patric_Lawrence

Patric_Lawrence (0) Feb 1, 2014 Colorado

No beer in my pizza dough, but I started a sourdough starter for the lacto sourness. Then inoculated with some White Labs Yeast. Feed once a week and make a pizza dough with the discard, about one cup to about 3 cups of flour and a few cups H2o. Add some sugar and maybe a few other adjuncts or a conditioner. Ferment one day at room temp, 2 days in the fridge, punching down each day. Shits outta control, makes up for all the bad pizza I have to put up with out here in Colorado. Crust smells and taste of a nice ale. So many choices of yeast out there to experiment with.

25. Sneers

Sneers (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've never made beer bread before. Is this standard practice?

26. Marshall_ofmcap

i've done it both ways. with chemical leaveners i went from bottle to bread, with yeast i boiled it. it will also remove the alcohol that can make it bitter. I know of no "standard" but I naturally think my opinion is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.