Beer Calorie Intake Logging App

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jojo2112, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,669) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Liquid calories don't count.

It's science.

2. corbmoster

corbmoster Initiate (153) Dec 15, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Or workout more!

CircusBoy likes this.
  3. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,186) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

you are a hell of a lot tougher than i am.

4. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (975) Oct 16, 2010 Belgium
    Trader

I don't want to know!

5. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,436) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

See?!?!? :grimacing: See what just happened there? Counting calories in beer just kills it! :rolling_eyes:

6. CraigP83

CraigP83 Defender (612) Dec 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Let's not get crazy here, I've already worked out twice this year....TWICE

7. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

You just need to redefine working out. Those 12 oz curls when done with enough repetitions is a hell of a workout. How many people work out to the detail of working out their livers.

8. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (166) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

I think I worry more about the alcohol intake than the calories. Calories can be burned.

readyski likes this.
  9. CraigP83

CraigP83 Defender (612) Dec 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Alcohol can be metabolized

10. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

I've seen more talk in the past two years about this girly calorie nonsense showing me what a fad beer has become.

11. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

One of the dumbest things I've read on this site.

12. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

By my calculations I had about 1,845 calories of beer alone on Easter. So... that explains a lot.

Carb-Overlord likes this.
  13. phillyhops

phillyhops Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey

next glass is an app that is based off of lab analysis and will tell you calories among other things

BeerBob likes this.
  14. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

I remember reading back in the day that you can take ABV x Ounces x 2.5 and that gives you a pretty good calorie count. Obviously not on the money, but very close. That's what I've been using.

15. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm going to flip it around and feel proud of myself for being only mildly overweight given those numbers.

The depressing thought is really that I could apparently easily lose weight even while gorging on pizza, steak and chocolate if I was simply to stop drinking beer every night.

Ironstutz and Fargrow like this.
  16. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Meyvn (1,214) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

I'm afraid to even find out...

17. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Beer calories do add up, so I just try to balance out my eating a bit more. If I have 3-4 beers and take in 800-900 calories, I will try to eat about that much less throughout the day.

So far my weight has remained the same, which is a good thing. Especially considering how much more beer I drink the past few months. I actually lose a few pounds since I started... lol

18. corbmoster

corbmoster Initiate (153) Dec 15, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I don't see this being a good think in the long run. You are taking nutritional caloric intake away, and replacing it with empty calories from beer.

19. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I only drink about twice (maybe three days) a week and I am a fairly big guy (6'6" and 250lbs) so replacing 800-1000 calories out of the 2500-3000 or so I eat daily is hardly a problem. I also eat a lot of good food and avoid fast food and most junk... So on the days I drink I try to eat a lot of vegetables and such... Spinach, steamed veggies, stir fry, grilled chicken, etc... Or if I happen to splurge at the brewery or bar or whatever and get pulled pork nachos or something, I will try to make up for it the day before and after :slight_smile:

#59 invertalon, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  20. Aaron_Kerkvliet

Aaron_Kerkvliet Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Wisconsin

My fitness pal, it even has a bar code scanner.

21. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

Beer isn't entirely empty calories. Or rather, the part with the calories are empty, but the rest of it is full of B complex vitamins.

Previous attempts of mine to count calories have never worked. The logic works into a fallacy that weight loss is purely about net calories, and that burned calories are some kind of fixed constant so if your intake is lower than this constant you will automatically lose weight.

That isn't how weight loss works, your body has different caloric needs on different days, and if you take in too few calories your body will burn fewer calories. If you give yourself a specific caloric allowance, then you're second guessing all your body's systems designed to regulate calorie intake. On some days you'll get too many calories and on other days you'll get too few.

I tried calorie counting for months, was hungry all the time and didn't lose a pound. Then I decided, just maybe stop drinking coke and buying muffins at dunkin donuts and otherwise keep my diet exactly the same, and I lost 20 pounds immediately. Don't worry about counting beer calories. Just maybe reduce the number of situations in which you drink.

I'm trying to get from 180 down to 165 so I decided to stop keeping beer at home and only drink when out with friends. Working so far. I don't have to worry about how much I drink on any particular day because I know I'm going to be drinking much less overall.

22. aoampm

aoampm Champion (865) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

I'd love an app for this honestly. Would be crazy to see the legendary calorie days especially when the 10-14% stouts are coming into play

VABA likes this.
  23. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

If this is even close to accurate, I am a calorie-burning super human. Thank you Lord.

24. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I've always thought beers should print their calorie count on the label just like non-alcoholic beverages. I doubt that chart is always accurate

25. JWQ

JWQ Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Why would anyone want this?! Haha

26. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

I like to believe there are no calories in beer and it´s all a scam from the water industry.

JWQ likes this.
  27. phillyhops

phillyhops Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey

28. seabeetastetest

seabeetastetest Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2015 Texas

When drinking imperial stouts leave your calorie counter at home ladies

29. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,135) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Mods - lock this one down. This thread has no business on BA :wink:

30. Carb-Overlord

Carb-Overlord Disciple (319) Apr 25, 2014 Wisconsin

I enjoy charts like these! Now I feel like getting a snap gym membership, so I can wear some skinny hipster jeans on the treadmill while my pot belly hangs over, and sidle along sipping from a 22oz bomber while watching the food network feed people deep fried pork belly... calories shmalories.... are there calories in beer?

31. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Waayyy too much work for me to do.

32. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

Awesome! https://www.nextglass.co/

33. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

ignorance = bliss

corbmoster likes this.