Beer Deals (A Thread For The Thrifty Beer Advocate)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by anglagard1, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Costco in northern VA is very hit or miss for beer. A couple of years back, they had great prices on Chimay and Duvel which included glassware.

However, their beer selection is usally not that impressive from what I've seen lately. You're better off going to Total Wine.

2. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

$8 for 32oz of Lagunitas Sucks. Such a great deal.

3. Brew33

Brew33 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2007 Ohio

In 2009 a bottle shop near my house had a clearance rack of bottles that had been sitting around for quite some time. I bought some at 30% off then went back to get more when they dropped it to 40%... Some of the bottles I remember...

750 ml 2007 Cantillon Kriek multiples
    Ithaca Brute E!018 multiples
    2005/2007 Cantillon Vigneronne multiples
    2007/2008 Cantillon Classic Gueuze multiples
    Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek multiples
    Vintage Rodenbach
    Vintage St Bernardus
    and a case each of Bruery Saison Rue and Alesmith Speedway Stout

It was a very expensive few weeks but man it was great. I've probably talked about this haul in 3-4 threads over the years but I just think back about how awesome it was.

DWheeler379, fehrminator and Lucular like this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

A friend and I walked of the Costco we bought ours at with 76 bottles. A couple cases each, and the rest for various friends. Plus, they were bottled 7/13, so already a year and a half on 'em!

keithmurray and Lucular like this.
  5. DrRambis

DrRambis Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 New Jersey

NJ is one of these states where it is illegal to prohibit liquor sales by membership (e.g. costco). To get around this anyone who wishes can go to one of these stores and ask for a special temporary membership card that is free, but only works for one day and only allows the member access to the liquor/beer/wine. They make the process very laborious with a tedious amount of paperwork to fill out. So although you can do this its hardly worth the time when costco doesn't even usually have that much in terms of quality anyway

6. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Wow, I need to get back to my Costco. They probably took it down even further than $6, where it's been for quite a while! It's times like this when it pays off big that more people aren't beer enthusiasts.

7. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (502) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yep. I always see people complaining about having to spend $18-20 on a bomber when I routinely have to spend $30 on the stuff I like. Prices in PA are sky-high.

pjvie likes this.
  8. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,313) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

While I will enjoy this thread, I'm on the same track as you with getting limited deals. I live in Utah right now. There is no such a thing as beer in Costco.

9. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (761) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

Not really. It's $10 for a sixer and six beers = 72 oz.

10. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,455) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Not all Costco stores have good beer.

Brolo75 likes this.
  11. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

Touche. It's still delicious, though. lol

deford and Mongrel like this.
  12. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (385) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

I'm surprised there's so much variation in the Sierra prices. Here in Florida, it's generally $8.99 for 6 or $15.99-16.99 for 12, although occasionally on sale for $13.99. Since Sierra is my go to beer and I buy it constantly, you people paying 9 bucks a 12-pack are making me nuts!

13. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (761) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

There's no denying that!

14. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,313) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

In a small Wisconsin town, Bigfoot 4 packs would be on sale for 5 dollars until they were all sold out. I had my dad pick me up a bunch. It was his first time trying Bigfoot and he loved it. He ended up drinking a bunch of mine!

Mitchell57 likes this.
  15. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (5,023) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thats a pretty good buy. I love the Double stout too and was surprised when it was in the mix and match six pack for 15 dollars at my local carnavores. Usually its 15 dollars a four pack so I stocked up on some!

Same here even though they are checking the dates more often here now (I think) they still send old beer back to the brewery if you complain. I find hardly any discounted beer anymore even my local "House of 1,000 beers" has a dollar shelf that is vacant. Best they did is sell the old marked up oktoberfest beers for mix and match price (10.95)

16. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,286) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Agreed. Ever since I saw the picture of $3 Grand Cru I've had a pit in my stomach.

17. GeoChase90

GeoChase90 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 California

I just picked up the latest Enjoy By for $5.67 at my Costco.

crob3888 likes this.
  18. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,286) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

No beer at Costco/Walmart/Sam's Club/grocery stores here in MD.

19. DrewBrew87

DrewBrew87 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2013 South Carolina

My local store had Old Curmudgeon 4 packs for $3.99 at one point last year! Let's just say I bought several of those :slight_smile:

20. Flashy

Flashy Zealot (592) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I am pretty sure you can buy beer at Costco without a membership card.

21. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (367) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Nothing hits the spot quite like Paulaner Amber Ale.

TongoRad and herrburgess like this.
  22. FutureJack

FutureJack Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2007 California

Picked these up at my Costco last week.

8 something, 4 something and 17 something respectively....

[​IMG]

riotontheroad likes this.
  23. Spiral517

Spiral517 Initiate (168) Sep 17, 2013 Maryland

Yeah I think you are right. I've settled on going to the Total Wine in McLean more than any place else, and I live in Maryland. Once in a while my work takes me right by the Wegmans in Gainesville, which I love. Great selection, prices and the people there are great.

24. bungletrpg

bungletrpg Initiate (128) Sep 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Costco has the best deals.

25. JDizzle

JDizzle Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 Indiana

The costco in Indy had Imperial Mad Hatter for the same price. Got a case

26. DRINKING_GOOD_BEER

DRINKING_GOOD_BEER Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 Virginia

About 6 months ago my Costco in Northern VA had a Stone 22oz 4pk that contained IPA, Arrogant Bastard, Subliminally Self Righteous, and IRS for $16.99. After about a month, the IPA and AB were approaching their enjoy by dates and they dropped it down to $9.99. My local beer store sell the IRS alone for $11. I bought 4 packs, had time to drink the IPA, AB, and SSR before their dates, and add 4 IRS to the cellar.

Its my understanding (at least in VA) that Costco beer selection varies by what distributors supply the county.

27. Jbellen912

Jbellen912 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Illinois

$9.49 a sixer at my grocery store, but haven't seen them in six packs in months. Is it a seasonal thing?

28. Jbellen912

Jbellen912 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Illinois

Also, not a steal compared to some of the deals on here, but Lagunitas Born Yesterday at $8.99 a six pack is a phenomenal deal imo

29. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Very true, my Costco doesn't carry any bombers but one about 20 miles away gets good stuff like BP Sculpin for $5.47 for a bomber, Saint Archer IPA bombers $3.47, and a few others, it's a good store to pop into every now and then to check inventory.

30. LMT

Which Costco on northern VA? Please don't tell me Sterling or Leesburg (where I go)...I would have loved to snag that for $10.

31. anglagard1

anglagard1 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2010 Wisconsin

It was rare enough that I started a thread because of it :wink: Still, I find deals of $10.99 for a 24 often enough at my favorite local dealer. Undoubtedly they are a little at the end of their buy date, but I'll drink Octoberfest in November.

32. anglagard1

anglagard1 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2010 Wisconsin

The Paulaner is stamped 11/14. But the taste was made me go pack for more. Haven't tried the Weiss yet, maybe that didn't age quite as well.

33. DRINKING_GOOD_BEER

DRINKING_GOOD_BEER Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 Virginia

Winchester. I'd be more than happy to keep you up to date on what we got if you would be willing to do the same in return!

34. TrojanHopHead

TrojanHopHead Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 California

You can just walk into a Costco and tell them you are there to buy alcohol only. No troubles

gopens44 likes this.
  35. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

Bought a few Green Flash Road Warrior sixpacks for $4.99 lately. Best deal I've had in a while. Was it fresh? Dunno. "Best by" was blank. But it was purdy fukkin good and I have no complaints. I cant hardly get Sierra Nevada for twice that around here. 4pks of Hoptimum and Bigfoot hover around 10 bucks and that's alright. Most Founders 6pks are about 10 and that's OK too..

36. ZebraCakez

ZebraCakez Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2014 Massachusetts

To OP:

If you paid $7 for the Latitude 48 IPA Deconstructed pack, then you got a screamin' deal right there IMHO.

Love that box, and I've seen it as high as $18.99, in an area where Sam Adams is always priced very well. Some great beers in that box, the Mosaic being my favorite, East Kent Goldings being the runner up.

Rebel at that price is worth it all day long as well. Love finding end of season clearence. :grinning:

37. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

Im on a budget and I live in Chicago. my local Target sells Reveloutin 6 packs at 8.99 and Lugunitas bombers for 4.99. It doesn't get much better than that.

For a while, I was drinking FFF Zombie Dust every week. But that's not the best value and it's killing my pocket.

jsrose16 likes this.
  38. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Illinois

I just got the Firestone Walker Winter box for $18.99 at a local Binny's. A bomber of Mocha Merkin, Wooly Jack, Double Barrel Ale, and Union Jack. Fantastic deal.

Kaz_DemonKnight likes this.
  39. LMT

No problem! If I spot something worth checking into at Costco, I'll post it.

40. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Illinois

Enjoy By goes to $4 a bomber the day after it hits the 1st of the next month- Yes please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.