Beer Festival Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bdub32689, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdub32689

bdub32689 Initiate (0) May 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Just wanted to see what others think makes for a good beer festival? What detracts most from a good experience?

In a perfect world (for me) a beer festival Has...
    • Good mix of veteran and up and coming breweries from across the country with a few international guest breweries as well.
    • The Brewery's bring at least 1 rare or limited offering.
    • I prefer when they bring kegs.
    • When at least one representative from the brewery is at the table not just volunteers pouring.
    • The venue is large enough to fit comfortably the attendees and have a good floor plan so lines don't clog the middle.
    • Enough bathrooms and water to rinse or drink.
    • A good mixture of beer fans from newbies to extreme beer geeks.
    • I really like when you can trade your plastic cup in when leaving for the souvenir glass cup.
    • Good and reasonably priced food offerings.
    • Places to sit so people don't stand and clog the main floor.
    This list is in no particular order in terms of priorities and some are kind of obvious but I can't tell you how many times I've gone to festivals with great beer offerings but really bad functional planning.

Biggest Pet Peeve Beer Snobs who put others down because they have different tastes and are really obnoxious in line pretending they know everything.

RyanMM likes this.
  2. Dennoman

Dennoman Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

Pesky tickers asking people for sips when they're cracking bottles tableside. Worse than bees.

BreakingBad and MCorrea like this.
  3. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Long lines and small pours.

4. dckepley

dckepley Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2006 Iowa

Smelling other peoples' farts.

5. jlenik

jlenik Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2009 New Jersey

Unfriendly People.

BreakingBad and JxExM like this.
  6. bdub32689

forgot to put when you see brewery tshirt being sold for 30$

HoistinBrews likes this.
  7. Biffster

Biffster Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2004 Michigan

At outdoor events: Smoking and drunks.

ramnuts, digita7693, SWChi and 2 others like this.
  8. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

People that come in groups and refer to themselves as "Team XYZ" with t-shirts and nonsense. It's a beer fest, calm down.

ElGordo, Ford, Horbar and 4 others like this.
  9. cmac1705

cmac1705 Crusader (481) Apr 30, 2010 Florida

No or few rinse stations. Just unacceptable.

semibaked likes this.
  10. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

When I first got into craft beer I wanted to try and go to beer fests so bad. But after lurking this board for a year or so, overall, these things sound miserable.

11. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

EBF is awesome, most others are drunk fests.

MrDanno96, bifrost17 and Jason like this.
  12. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Hell, I've only read 13 comments, and I never want to go to one.

ObeMaltKinobee and lurchingbeast like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Having live music and decent food available are strong pluses. Most breweries have water for rinsing at their tables. I hate overcrowding, I'll pay a bit more for a few fewer tickets. Since I go to mostly local/regional fests, I like trying different things than what I'm used to from the breweries I'm already familiar with. When I'm at a fest away from home, I want to try the regular line-up from the local breweries. So, brewers should bring a couple of regulars and at least 1 one-off to each fest. Anyone who tries to knock my glass out of my hand will be punched. All-in-all, I like beer fest and go to 3-10 a year.

14. eyebereej

eyebereej Devotee (374) Dec 2, 2010 California

OP, it looks like the beer festival you're looking for is the Firestone-Walker Invitational. With the exception of number 8 on your list, that festival hits all of your criteria. Its probably the best beer festival I've attended so far.
    Number 9 on your list "good and reasonably priced food offerings", the food was included with the price of the festival ticket, and the food was awesome, provided by local restaurants showcasing unique items on their menu (not pub fare). To be honest it was kind of like a beer and food fest.

15. jlenik

jlenik Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2009 New Jersey

Nothing is perfect! I've gone to two BA sponsored festivals this past year (ACBF and BBF) and couldn't have had a better time! Ignore the few assholes/drunks and you will have an amazing time. I'm totally looking forward to the EBF come February!

Jason likes this.
  16. bdub32689

I have heard good things about that one. Prob the best one I have been too was for the Maine Craft Brewers Guild in BoothBay Maine, I think it was about a 4-6 hour drive for me from MA but well worth it considering it was just perfect summer weather located in a rustic farm setting. It was on the smaller side being all Maine Breweries but they all brought their A game. Not to mention the special guest brewery was Dogfishead and they were pouring vintage bitches brew running through a randall of cocao nibs and 120 min through fresh hops. All stations had the brewers and owners. Ticket included a gourmet bbq buffet and nice tasting glass. Small lines, friendly crowd. Just all around an enjoyable experience. Especially getting to talk some beer with Sam from Dogfish

Jason likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Sounds like you enjoy wallowing in it a bit as well ... :wink:

There are a lot of great fests out there ... I'm sure a BA in your area is willing to tell you what fests are perhaps the best.

winbassett likes this.
  18. powpig2002

powpig2002 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

drunk frat boys. stay at your coors light keggers

NABS, ElGordo, montrealbcr89 and 11 others like this.
  19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Only 1 water station for hundreds of people.

DrunkethWizard likes this.
  20. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76 Pundit (939) Nov 20, 2010 Oregon

Line to use the bathroom, and then no barriers between urinals, and some dude trying to talk while you're pissing.

DrunkethWizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.