Beer Festival Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bdub32689, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerFMAndy

BeerFMAndy Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Wisconsin

When I help breweries pour, my #1 pet peeve is the "Gimmie whatever you've got." (almost always slurred) response to, "what would you like?"

2. dennho

dennho Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2006 New York

Is it Ok if I wear my "Hi Neighbor" Narragansett shirt?
    I thought you had to have a beard to be a beer geek.

3. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

When there's a beer you really want to try and they say we're not tapping that until x:xx and of course you're pre-occupied with actual beers you can drink and miss out.

4. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Breweries who bring the same ol shart you can get anywhere plus lines, waiting and ignorant conversations.

5. lsummers

lsummers Zealot (539) Jun 21, 2010 California

I like those, Plus I'm cheap.

6. Magery

Magery Defender (603) Sep 29, 2004 Kentucky

my biggest pet peeves as beer festivals is that there is beer and people. if it wasn't for those two things i would love them.

rmcnealy likes this.
  7. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Oh yeah, a couple other strange things at my latest romp at a fest.
    People wearing shirts/swag of breweries otherwise impossible to get in the area. Are you from California and frequent Russian River, or did you just buy that workshirt online? One thing I know, you can't get that stuff in the D.
    Saw another rarer CA/CO brewery swag that I know is unavailable in MI just can't recall. I know I chuckled when I saw it.
    Its like going to a concert of a relatively small band in a club and seeing shirts of bands you have NEVER heard of, or that haven't been around since before the wearer was born. :wink:

8. rjfarel

rjfarel Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 Washington
    Deactivated

Hate people that hate pretzel necklaces.

nathanb47 and JediMatt like this.
  9. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

My inability to pace myself.

rmcnealy likes this.
  10. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (343) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Lack of bathrooms, not enough food choices either free or cheap.

11. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yeah man, I hate people who know bands that I don't or people who like legendary bands. I feel like such a tool for digging Hendrix.

12. LOCAL

LOCAL Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2006 New Hampshire

at our local one put on by a single distributor... I've had everything already.

13. Rileyman

Rileyman Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2006 North Carolina

I carry tater tots in my cargo pockets.

dsal89, jbertsch and jaminjohnson like this.
  14. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

I'm more upset by the people wearing pearl necklaces to a beerfest. Shower for god's sake.

jaminjohnson likes this.
  15. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Canada (YT)

I used to keep a pork-chop in a zip lock bag in my pocket. :slight_smile:

16. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

My inability to hold more than a few gallons of beer in my stomach, intestines and bladder.

jaminjohnson likes this.
  17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

That's what the bushes are for.

18. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

also that guy with a stick up his butt let's hypothetically say he has a boondocks saints tattoo on his right trigger finger, and let's hypothetically say he brags about being in the "Chicago beer society". And let's hypothetically say when asked when asked "how did you get all that crazy beer" he just looks down at you as smugly says "I know people". This is all hypothetical of course.

19. dsal89

dsal89 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Have a beard (right now it is fairly out of control) and numerous brewery tshirts....and i have a girlfriend. I am the 1 percent

nathanb47 and BreakingBad like this.
  20. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,627) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Not enough hot women and no reps from the breweries!

WassailWilly likes this.
  21. Brad007

Brad007 Poo-Bah (4,014) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont
    Society

Agreed.

But this is something that the organizers could simply address by "roping" the line so that anyone caught lingering would have to get outside of the line.

You can't really do anything about these things except be polite. I try to smile and spend a lot of time apologizing whenever I accidentally bump into people, etc. It's about making the experience fun (and tolerable) for all by being on your best behavior.

I have enjoyed the many beer fests I've been to over the years (VBF, EBF and Smugglers Notch Brew Fests).

Only line etiquette bugs me. I forgave the quaffers years ago because they do stick around to enjoy craft beer, albeit too much. ;-)

22. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

I'll never forget when I was at the American Craft Beer Festival in Boston a couple of years ago. About an hour into the fest, the buzz is setting in, and despite the cacophony of sounds somehow you are still able to hear that lone tasting glass crack on the floor. Suddenly the place goes quite, and a surge of "OOOHHHHHHH" from the crowd builds near the broken glass and spreads literally throughout the entire place. Yeah...I can do without that.

23. johnnnniee

johnnnniee Poo-Bah (8,622) Feb 28, 2007 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I hate it when at a fest a brewery will run out of beer much too quickly. F.W.

24. bdub32689

bdub32689 Initiate (0) May 19, 2011 Massachusetts

That was pretty funny

25. sind310

sind310 Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2011 California

Local festival usually like it to be "family friendly", Kids and strollers at these events are the worst. Also volunteers or pourers with no knowledge about the beer.

Angst likes this.
  26. Todd

Todd Founder (6,682) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Cool story, but we've never served beer at our fests in tasting glasses. Beers at ACBF have only been served in biodegradable/compostable plastic PLA tasting cups, which barely make a sound when they hit the ground as they barely weigh anything. As such, there was no sound of breaking glass or broken glass.

Your buzz must have settled in quite nicely. :wink:

JrGtr and MichPaul like this.
  27. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

It's quite possible I combined multiple fests together (I wouldn't trust my memory for those occasions) but I could have sworn there was some wave like chant that swept across the floor at the ACBF. With that being said, I think that has happened nearly every time I have been to a beer fest. In sum, disregard this post if it's not in accord with reality. Sometimes mine gets warped :stuck_out_tongue:

28. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (151) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

Is that you, Napoleon?

29. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

Lackluster beers after paying hard earned money for VIP tix

Little or no T-shirts / Glasses for sale.

30. andylipp

andylipp Disciple (349) Dec 8, 2006 Massachusetts

Pretzel necklaces are the fanny packs of a beer festival.

Ford and ramnuts like this.
  31. ramnuts

ramnuts Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

Here in PDX, I hate the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! frat boy eruption that leaps outta the OBF and Holiday Alefest. Deafening, irritating and enough to send me out the gate and towards home.

32. ramnuts

ramnuts Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

Your forgot the hats shaped like hops and sunglasses resembling beer steins. The beerfest equivalent of NFL game facepainters. People who demand massive amounts of attention via outlandish getups.

33. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Not every brewery does these. Some are up and coming and just trying to build awareness of their brands. If you want special stuff go to a higher end fest like extreme beer fest..

34. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (151) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

I agree with you in principal, but....

I believe that the economics of most beer festivals are based on each brewery being paid a flat fee by the event sponsor to bring whatever brews that amount will cover. So, with that being the case, why would a brewer bring a lot of rares to a fest, unless they are trying to generate buzz or have some other reason?

35. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan

Hipsters... you can't act like you don't care when it takes an hour to get your hair just so. Could be I'm jealous though seeing as I don't grow too much these days.

36. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 New York

Who are you? Ann Coulter?

37. NoSignsOfPain

NoSignsOfPain Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 California

- The price of tickets nowadays when breweries bring their 'year 'round' line-up; agreeing with everyone else, what's the point of showing up? I wanna be wow-ed! Especially from guest/out-of-state breweries.
    - Pretzel necklaces and/or accessories made of cheese/meat snacks
    - Lack of water stations/dump stations at some places
    - Not kicking out and/or stop serving annoying drunk people

- OH GOD THE CROP DUSTING. Not a fan of inhaling farts in a confined space. :grimacing:

38. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

I think that's a lost cause without Americans being open to teaching their kids to drink since they're young. The reason behind the big difference in not just beer but drinking cultures in general here and the rest of the world is that kids start drinking and having parties with liquor while younger at home. Its kinda hard to teach kids not to drink just to get drunk when they turn drinking age in college where its all about getting fucked up with cheap ass booze and finding the next girl you're gonna fuck and everyone around you is doing the same thing. That of course, is something that you can't really do anything about without breaking the law.

39. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Isn't reviewing a beer appreciating it? :wink:

40. Providence

Providence Champion (815) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

People who get pissed at the young pretzel necklace crowd that is just there to get drunk. I'm not a fan of said groups either, but looking down your nose/rolling your eyes at them is whack. You were young once too. Not everyone is going with a pen to take notes in their moleskine notebook on the banana esters in X beer. Chill out, it's a festival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.