Beer Flavor Wheel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SkeeterBoganski, Jan 11, 2013.

1. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Feb 25, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

2. Brunite

Brunite Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

A great resource, but missing at least one flavor element. When tasting Chelada...the only descriptor I could come up with was vomit.:confused: Don't see that one here.

afrokaze, tectactoe and rhartogsq like this.
  3. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Feb 25, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

"Baby sick/diapers" is in there!

jglowe77 and Brunite like this.
  4. Brunite

Brunite Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

From the attached text:

OK then.....o_O

OTOH....that pee flavor wheel might have helped me describe a few of the crappier beers I have tried!

jglowe77 and SkeeterBoganski like this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

There have been many variations of a "beer flavor wheel" (just do a Google for the term). First one I recall seeing was in the 1977 edition of the Master Brewers Association of the America's The Practical Brewer. That one, developed by the MBAA, ASBC (the Brewing Chemists' org.) and the EBC (European brewers' group) , also used a system of numbering the terms to create "...an international flavor vocabulary for beer".

LeRose likes this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

7. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Oh crap - something else to think about while I'm just trying to enjoy a beer.

jhartley likes this.
  8. jhartley

jhartley Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Why can't I just say, "It tastes good"?

9. hopsputin

hopsputin Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Interesting. Cool post, thanks.

10. JAXSON

JAXSON Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I like the idea of this a lot but I don't totally like the way he did it. He's combining categories like "mouthfeel" and "drinking experience" with the flavor descriptors. It's helpful in a way, but not really a pure flavor wheel. I wonder if such a thing could exist.

11. tectactoe

tectactoe Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

Vomit? I was getting more of a "bile/stomach acid" taste....

Brunite likes this.
  12. JustPlainBill

JustPlainBill Jan 17, 2010 Massachusetts

So, my eyes aren't so great in a dark bar, where I drink most of my beer. Am I supposed to print this favor wheel out world map size to see it? Maybe I'm a dumb dumb, but these wheels or other complicated data charts never make sense to me.

They make so little sense that I designed and published my own tasting journal. Uber beer geeks will make fun of it, but it's an attempt to simplify and educate about beer tasting. Plus, you can see it in a dark bar! I'm not going hammer you with an ad here, but if you're interested check out my profile. It's my homepage link.

13. Scotty

Scotty Jun 29, 2012 Maryland

It's interesting they list 'Sherry' as an undesirable flavor

Lots of people mention Sherry/Tawny Port characteristics as a positive thing.

14. domtronzero

domtronzero Aug 18, 2007 California

Sherry flavors can be indicative of oxidation and is certainly a fault in most beer styles. But for a big barleywine, or old ale, they may actually be quite pleasant. Remember that the flavor wheel has to satisfy the overwhelming majority of beers styles. Kinda like sour beers: lactic/acetic character would not be considered a brewing fault in a lambic or Flemmish Red ale, but they certainly would be if they were in a Dortmunder Export or IIPA.

15. PJHealy

PJHealy Jun 14, 2012 Ohio

The wheel is missing "Rare".

16. digitalmavrik

digitalmavrik Dec 22, 2011 Colorado

Very kewl display, makes me thirsty!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe