Beer foaming issue

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by skaboom420, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skaboom420

skaboom420 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Pennsylvania

I have some Michigan Screamin Pumpkin Ale from last year. It foams up the entire glass as soon as it is poured. Once the foam settles, it tastes fine. Is this ok to drink? what makes this happen? I dont want to throw the remaining bottles away since this is one of my favorite pumpkins and they are now out of business.

2. brewbetter

brewbetter Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

Yes, it's fine to drink. It's just over-carbonation likely from force-carbonation.

3. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

You mean likely from bottle conditioning?

4. brewbetter

No, I didn't think it was bottle conditioned... are you sure it is?

5. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

I have no idea, I've never had the beer. Most over carbonation issues tend to be from 100% or partial bottle conditioning. I am almost positive there is no way force carbonating would cause it to foam up like that and assuming it's not infection since it still tasted fine there must still be an element of live yeast in the bottle.

6. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

if the beer is otherwise fine, it is almost certainly a problem at the brewery. it happens with homebrewers, but commercial brewers should not make this mistake. maybe part of the reason they went bust?

there is not much you can do except keep the beer very cold and be sure to use a sparkiling clean glass. wetting the glass a bit will help too.

unfortunately un-carbonating a beer is not possible.
    welcome to BA

7. 30-06pack

30-06pack Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

I had this problem once when I picked up a bottle of CC Maduro brown ale. It didn't matter how slow I poured, or how I held the glass. I could pour an ounce of beer and have foam all the way to the top. The taste was ok, but you shouldn't have to spoon foam off your beer before drinking. I think the beer was infected in some way, perhaps it sat on the shelf too long.

8. brewbetter

CC Maduro Brown isn't bottle conditioned and if it didn't taste off, it wasn't infected...

9. Highbrow

Highbrow Pooh-Bah (1,746) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

HotD Adam Batch #83 comes to mind.:rolling_eyes:

commis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.