Beer & Food Pairings at Home

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by honkey, May 16, 2020.

1. honkey

honkey Zealot (589) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Brewery Trader

I thought that maybe since most people have been holed up at home for a while we might have an increase in home cooking and interesting beer and food pairings. Anyone got anything to share?

Last night I served cold smoked salmon trout and mackerel (smoked with beechwood), a vinegary potato salad, and broccoli with lemon zest and garlic paired with a beechwood smoked rauchbier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (458) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,431) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I did some caprese inspired grilled cheeses today with a kellerpils. Good stuff.

eppCOS, BJB13, BuffaloBill12 and 3 others like this.
  4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,684) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

When my wife and I told our adult kids that we canceled our European trip because of the virus thing, one daughter decided to make us feel better and ordered a mix of European food items from World Market. One item was a kit to bake Bavarian-style pretzels and we did that yesterday morning. The kit made 8 pretzels that are 4-5 inches in diameter and are sprinkled with coarse salt.

We had to eat a few of them while they were still hot, so we washed them down yesterday with some Maibock from one of my local breweries. Later we had more of them with a barbecue dinner that we got curb-side from another close-by brewery. Today we had a couple more of them with leftovers. Sadly no pics to post here.

5. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (634) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I tend to prefer my beer and food separately, but I do enjoy sour beers paired with a very sharp or smoked cheese like cheddar, gouda, provolone, etc. on a simple cracker (e.g. triscuit, wheat thin, etc.). I find the cheese's strong flavors and creaminess complements and cuts through the fruity acidity of most sour beers and vice versa. You know how cheeses are commonly served with or topped by a sweet or tart dried fruit, jam, or compote?... OK, now imagine the flavors of a sour beer stepping in for that dried fruit, jam, or compote instead. Think of that as you pick which sour beer/cheese match up.

6. BJB13

BJB13 Crusader (710) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland
    Society

[​IMG]
    While not in the same class as the spread that @honkey shared, well done by the way, this was a favorite occasional Sunday breakfast of mine.
    Ham, egg and cheese on bagel with a chocolate covered cake doughnut from a local breakfast carry-out accompanied by FBS.
    The Baby goes well with this sandwich as well as other homemade breakfast sandwiches and is fantastic with the doughnut.

#6 BJB13, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  7. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (47) Nov 5, 2019 Ontario (Canada)

Asian Chicken sandwiches

2 tsp (10 mL) Thai green curry paste
    2 tsp (10 mL) grated ginger
    1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Wasabi Mayonnaise
    1 tbsp (15 mL) wasabi
    1 tbsp (15 mL) water
    1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
    1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped pickled ginger
    1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
    4 multi-grain rolls
    1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup (250 mL) sprouts
    8 leaves Boston lettuce

1 Combine curry paste, ginger and vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper. Brush on chicken breasts. Preheat grill to high. Grill breasts about 4 minutes per side or until juices are clear. Cool.

2 Combine wasabi and water together to make a paste. Whisk into mayonnaise. Stir in ginger and soy sauce.

3 Cut rolls in half. Brush wasabi mayonnaise on each half. Slice chicken breasts into 1/4-inch (5-mm) slices and place over mayonnaise. Add red onion, sprouts and lettuce leaves. Sandwich with top half of roll.

I used to eat this with Singha Lager, but can't get that these days. So, a Pils or IPA substitutes.

8. Brugesman

Brugesman Initiate (46) Apr 22, 2020 California
    Trader

I made carne asada tacos recently. I used a spice rub, and grilled the meat over very hot coals. The result was a blackened exterior, yet moist and pink inside. Absolutely scrumptious. I also threw some scallions on the grill. Went to grab a beer to have with dinner. I had several style options it occurred to me that the Uinta Baba Black Lager would probably work well. This is an American interpretation of the German Schwarzbier style. I bought a six pack recently. My first Schwarzbier experience. Quite enjoying these. Would love to taste some German examples some time.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/73965/

OMG! The match with the charred flank steak and scallions was Utter Perfection. The slightly roasted malt character resonated beautifully with the grilled and blackened beef and onions. The light to medium body left plenty or room for the beef to shine, while the moderate hop bitterness cut through the spice rub. I couldn’t stop oooohing and aaaahing. I had a “dinner glow” that lasted for at least 24 hours after that. My mind kept returning to the succulent combination and the natural affinity that Schwarzbier has with grilled food.

I’d love to hear tales of your awesome beer and food pairings. What beer and food combination blew your mind, and why? Old experience or recent, doesn’t matter. Home cooked meal or a restaurant meal, perhaps in a great European beer-producing country, or not. Anything goes. If you have photos to post, that would be awesome. Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos from my carne asada/schwarzbier pairing; but I know I’ll keep doing that, so perhaps I can post some photos later in this thread. I’m hungry and thirsty here, so let’s see what you’re serving!

9. Brugesman

Trader

If some of this seems a bit odd, it's because I started a new thread but Admin moved it here. I am also interested in hearing about pairings at restaurants (not recent, obviously), especially during travel. This thread was started with home cooking in mind, but since I can't have my own thread, I'd encourage a broader scope here.

#9 Brugesman, May 25, 2020 at 10:00 PM
    Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 10:07 PM
  10. Brugesman

Trader

Sounds lovely. I'm drying to try Maibock. Not a sip to be found in my neck of the woods. I don't think the one brewery that's very close to be has ever made this style. And I don't see any German imports on offer at Bevmo, though their online offerings (only way to buy now, order online and pick up) are pretty limited.

11. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (633) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they have a pretty good maibock, brewed by Gordon Biersch.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  12. PapaGoose03

Society

What's your 'neck of the woods'? Your avatar box is silent on your location.

If you can get Rogue Dead Guy Ale you'll have a beer that most people say is a maibock, although I'm not sure if Rogue has ever said that. (It's the #1 popular rated beer here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/33/). Don't give up looking for the real thing because it seems like the distro schedules are a little delayed this year. (I hope.) If you have an Aldi store near you check that place for a good example. It's called Schofferhoffer (or something like that) and comes in a 4-pack of 16 oz. cans. My store doesn't have it yet, nor has anyone in these forums reported finding it yet, so I hope it shows up soon. Last year I didn't see it until around June 1st.

BJB13 and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  13. Brugesman

Trader

Ahh, good to know. Will check that out.

14. Brugesman

Trader

California. Thought that showed up in my avatar box, but I guess I need to edit my profile. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I'll definitely keep looking. Also dying to find some Schlenkerla Eiche.

Don't know Aldi. They're not here.

15. Brugesman

Trader

California is in my profile. Why doesn't it show up in my avatar box?

16. Brugesman

Trader

Wait, it does. PapaGoose03, you don't see it?

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,431) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Jalapeño poppers, stuffed with cream cheese, Italian cheese blend, sundried tomatoe pesto and wrapped in bacon over a coal fire with burgers on the same fire. Pairing it up with a kellerpils.

18. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,271) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I mean...
    This is a thing that happens almost on a daily basis in the WBAYDN thread, past 5 p.m.
    Tonight it was a Cumbre La Negra (barrel aged imperial stout) with a plate of breakfast nachos. And it went well together, unlike most beer-food pairings (just being honest). Pizza - beer is a safe bet, but it's trickier to pair beers and food. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

19. PapaGoose03

Society

I can see it now but it wasn't there earlier today. If you just added it today I think the system has to recycle before it will show up. I believe that can take a couple hours. But at least it's there now.

20. PapaGoose03

Society

My wife made some stuffed peppers almost like that. Instead of Jalapeño peppers she used the Anaheim variety, and instead of the dried tomatoes she used some chopped pepperoni. Yum! (But what wouldn't taste great with bacon in the ingredient list?)

21. Brugesman

Trader

No, it's been there since I signed up in April. Odd that it wasn't showing up. But strange things happen on the site, like my sometimes being labeled a trader.

22. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,811) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Gruyere
    [​IMG]

Brie
    [​IMG]

Fig jam
    [​IMG]

Warsteiner pilsner...
    [​IMG]
    Cheers...

23. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Zealot (559) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

My favorite beer pairing is when I have lunch with dinner.
    [​IMG]

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.